Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:24 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times

Advertisements

You can't get good coffee at any of the franchise places. Hint to everyone: if the coffee comes pouring from a big plastic container, it ain't fresh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 08:21 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Tim Hortons is low-grade trucker swill.

Best bang for your buck is either McCafe from McDonalds or Red-Headed Roasters from Wendys, if you can stomach the mess, general chaos, and slack-jawed disinterested counter staff. Prices are cheap but the quality of the brew s high.
Everyone has their own taste...
I drink Timmie's every day and once every week or two I end up getting Mcdonalds coffee and I really prefer the Timmie's coffee by a large margin.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:38 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,348 times
I think that Tim Horton's is wildly over-rated for just about everything. Canadians have been so successfully manipulated by Bay Street marketers that most of them cannot recognize or will not admit it offers over-priced dreck. I'm embarrassed how many of them point to Tim Horton's with pride. It's as if crappy doughnuts, mediocre coffee, and bad sandwiches and soups are the best that Canada has to offer. That Tim Horton's should be considered good for anything betrays the fact there is a nationwide delusion about the place in most corners of the country.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:22 PM

331 posts, read 592,620 times
Tim's or McCafe

I like McDonalds $ 1.39 coffee and muffin deal best.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:43 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
I think that Tim Horton's is wildly over-rated for just about everything. Canadians have been so successfully manipulated by Bay Street marketers that most of them cannot recognize or will not admit it offers over-priced dreck. I'm embarrassed how many of them point to Tim Horton's with pride. It's as if crappy doughnuts, mediocre coffee, and bad sandwiches and soups are the best that Canada has to offer. That Tim Horton's should be considered good for anything betrays the fact there is a nationwide delusion about the place in most corners of the country.
My in-laws ship me a box of Tim Horton's coffee for christmas every year.. (we don't have Tim Horton's in Phoenix)..
I won't defend the donuts or the sandwiches, but the coffee?
yup..
I like the overpriced trucker-swill..

Old 10-09-2013, 02:15 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Tim Hortons is low-grade trucker swill.

Best bang for your buck is either McCafe from McDonalds or Red-Headed Roasters from Wendys, if you can stomach the mess, general chaos, and slack-jawed disinterested counter staff. Prices are cheap but the quality of the brew s high.
but they are not Canadian and won't give TH lovers the unusual sense of national pride from sipping a $1.29 coffee pretending it is superb.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:47 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,095,203 times
Some people can be so funny when it comes to judging quality. If it tastes good, it tastes good, I say. I don't need to take a coffee tasting course to be told which taste is "right" and which is "wrong". It seems so silly to me. I think it's meant for drinking, not carefully evaluating based on certain criteria that are barely related to taste. Thousands of Canadians drinking it every day can't be wrong.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
but they are not Canadian and won't give TH lovers the unusual sense of national pride from sipping a $1.29 coffee pretending it is superb.
Bingo! It's freaking bizarre how many Canadians have come to believe that Tim Horton's is a national icon or even a national treasure. It's a decidedly mediocre chain of coffee shops. I don't get it and I never will.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:57 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,407 times
I can't stand the "food" at Tim Horton's but I love the taste of their coffee, so much that I buy cans of it to make at home too. Second choice is McDonalds coffee which was surprisingly good. I don't like Starbucks or any other type of well-roasted coffee. My sister hates Tim's but loves Starbucks Christmas blend. I've never met anyone who likes both Starbucks and Tim's.

Maclock and Botticelli, you don't like Tim's but it would help if you told us which coffee you do like and that way it puts everything in context.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I can't stand the "food" at Tim Horton's but I love the taste of their coffee, so much that I buy cans of it to make at home too. Second choice is McDonalds coffee which was surprisingly good. I don't like Starbucks or any other type of well-roasted coffee. My sister hates Tim's but loves Starbucks Christmas blend. I've never met anyone who likes both Starbucks and Tim's.

Maclock and Botticelli, you don't like Tim's but it would help if you told us which coffee you do like and that way it puts everything in context.
I didn't say that I dislike Tim's coffee. I just find it to be rather mediocre. I do like the coffee at McDonald's. I also enjoy Treats coffee. Some of the local coffee shops in my area make a good cup of joe. Starbucks coffee does not do it for me.

What puzzles me is why so many Canadians unquestioningly gush about Tim's and feel wounded when you tell them you think it isn't a very good place for doughnuts, coffee or sandwiches and soup. How the Bay Street marketers have managed to convince those Canadians that loving Tim's is tantamount to loving Canada is extraordinarily bizarre. It's a pretty crappy chain of coffee shops. Why Tim's is put in the mix at all is a source of puzzlement to me and it's a bit of an embarrassment to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada