Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 02:23 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times

Advertisements

We get irritated because we've fought hard for centuries to maintain our sovereignty and independence from the US and do not like the proprietary implications of such a statement. The US has always been the biggest existential threat and our history has evolved around maintaining an independent identity and countering manifest destiny. Anglos already feel insecure about being so Americanized these days and don't want our remaining national identity waived away like it's nothing as it's what stands between us and complete absorption by the US into whose orbit we've increasingly entered since the fall of the empire following world war two. It's not a statement we see as friendly because the implication is you only value us for the ways we are like you and that you dismiss as unimportant and unwelcome our distinctiveness. That's narcissism, not friendship.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:51 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
We get irritated because we've fought hard for centuries to maintain our sovereignty and independence from the US and do not like the proprietary implications of such a statement. The US has always been the biggest existential threat and our history has evolved around maintaining an independent identity and countering manifest destiny. Anglos already feel insecure about being so Americanized these days and don't want our remaining national identity waived away like it's nothing as it's what stands between us and complete absorption by the US into whose orbit we've increasingly entered since the fall of the empire following world war two. It's not a statement we see as friendly because the implication is you only value us for the ways we are like you and that you dismiss as unimportant and unwelcome our distinctiveness. That's narcissism, not friendship.
Not to worry. The US is going to become Alta México while Canada is going to be East Pakistan. Canada is going to be a Muslim nation while the US a Catholic one. Then, at least, the differences will become much more distinct

Old 10-12-2013, 07:45 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,093,689 times
The reason the fertility rates are rather high in a few exceptional middle eastern countries is for political and not religious reasons, their own "Revanche des berceaux". The truth of the matter is that muslims have virtually the same fertility rates as anyone else. I'm sorry but people who buy into those white supremacist, anti-immigration conspiracy theories need to learn to think for themselves.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:57 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
The reason the fertility rates are rather high in a few exceptional middle eastern countries is for political and not religious reasons, their own "Revanche des berceaux". The truth of the matter is that muslims have virtually the same fertility rates as anyone else. I'm sorry but people who buy into those white supremacist, anti-immigration conspiracy theories need to learn to think for themselves.
People need to learn not to take things so literally. I see you have failed to detect the sarcasm in my post. At least for the Canada part anyway. The US is "scheduled" to become a majority Hispanic nation in 2050 anyway

Old 10-12-2013, 08:17 AM

328 posts, read 996,884 times
You really don't see why Canadians would be upset with this? Let me give you a personal example. How would you like to have someone tell you that they owned all your possessions even when they did not. This person would come over your house and eat a jelly donut and let the jelly slop all over your nice clean floors and then sneeze and wipe his hands on your couch. It is about ownership. The U.S. does not own Canada.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:27 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Its the way how we look at it, when Americans say Canada is like the 51st state(I never eve heard anyone say this but whatever) they are saying Canada is just like America and we are friends, we don't really think about how it would sound the other way around.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:43 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Its the way how we look at it, when Americans say Canada is like the 51st state(I never eve heard anyone say this but whatever) they are saying Canada is just like America and we are friends, we don't really think about how it would sound the other way around.

Well, you see, that would be the crux of the matter right there in the bolded portion.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
I've never heard the term myself but if some American thinks Canada is Americas 51st state i cant see the point in debating the issue..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFgPX0hnNfA

Old 10-12-2013, 09:49 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
I have never heard anyone refer to Canada as the 51st State and I've been in the United States all of my 53 years.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:13 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I have never heard anyone refer to Canada as the 51st State and I've been in the United States all of my 53 years.
Well; that's probably because you haven't been in the company of Canadians AND Americans as a group often enough for the subject to come up.

I'm giving 70 a good shove and with many years of spending months at a time in the U.S., all over your country, I can tell you it has been said in my presence any number of times.

I have heard it all mind you; even stuff like "we should have finished the job in 1812" or my personal favourite; "why we put up with having to go through border crossings between the lower 48 and Alaska is beyond me". In most of these cases I consider the source and just chuckle.

I am at least aware enough to know the vast majority of cases when this comes up in "mixed" company, it's simply mean't to elicit a response and stimulate to and fro banter.

Under it all however, is the subliminal grain of legitimate regret that the 49th parallel exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada