Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 03:22 PM

346 posts, read 456,044 times

Advertisements

This is a ridiculous thread and as an American, it embarasses me that we have people in our country that are so moronic and self centered to even think of this, let alone ask it out loud.

Also, for the historically-challenged, the U.S. already tried to invade Canada. It was called the war of 1812. We lost that part of the war, thank god. We Americans have enough territory to eff up, no need for any more.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:46 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Aaah, that little part about a "war that can actually be won" would seem to fly in the face of actual history over the last 50 years proving the obverse to be true.
Canada is the kind of nation that is most vulnerable to the American way of war; strong central government, peaceful law abiding people with no history of blood fueds and brigandage, easy terrain and good roads in the heavily populated areas. Plus if the Americans ruled with a light hand, co opted wealthy elites and gave Canadians the same political rights as current Americans- yeah, I think it could be done.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:49 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james1856 View Post
I had a conversation with a small group of Canadian girls recently. I believe they were from BC. Very friendly folks. We conversed for quite a long time. As they got more comfortable with me they started asking more questions. One of the questions was, "Do you own guns?" I replied, "Of course. I own lots of guns." They then asked, " Why would you need to own guns?" I replied, "Its not a need it's a right guaranteed by the US Constitution therefore I exercise it." They could not wrap their heads around this.

James; I have encountered your surmisal myself and take great pains to explain to folks who seem confused by stating "they could not wrap their heads around this" with the clarification it's not the constitutional right part we do not understand but rather your need to exercise it.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:49 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,095,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Canada is the kind of nation that is most vulnerable to the American way of war; strong central government, peaceful law abiding people with no history of blood fueds and brigandage, easy terrain and good roads in the heavily populated areas. Plus if the Americans ruled with a light hand, co opted wealthy elites and gave Canadians the same political rights as current Americans- yeah, I think it could be done.
Wow. I thought you were referencing a film. You can't be serious.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post

Also, for the historically-challenged, the U.S. already tried to invade Canada. It was called the war of 1812. We lost that part of the war, thank god. We Americans have enough territory to eff up, no need for any more.
We lost because even a small number of British Regulars (many of whom were Irish by the way, such as the 89th Foot of Crysler's Farm and Lundy's Lane fame) were superior to large numbers of American militia. And William Henry Harrison we did succeed in driving the British out of Michigan and up the Ontario peninsula.

But yeah, it was a mess, even after we established our own capable Regulars. The politics and lack of organization...

Old 10-12-2013, 03:53 PM

28 posts, read 80,618 times
Quote:
I will yield to the fact that US citizens have little influence over the Federal gov. Special interests have control there. So if Exxon wanted to seize Canadian oil fields that would become US foreign policy. I understand Canadians concern in that regard.

There are few examples where the American people actually were able to stop a folly in recent years. I suppose not inavading Syria is a good example.

If I were Canadian I might be a bit paranoid as well. I think I get it.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Wow. I thought you were referencing a film. You can't be serious.
Kind of a Canadian "Red Dawn" eh? Do we get John Milius to write and direct?

Old 10-12-2013, 04:00 PM

28 posts, read 80,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
James; I have encountered your surmisal myself and take great pains to explain to folks who seem confused by stating "they could not wrap their heads around this" with the clarification it's not the constitutional right part we do not understand but rather your need to exercise it.

The only thing I can say is that their view of history is different. They view government as a benevolent institution working on behalf of the people where as Americans view government as a necessary evil that needs to be kept in check. A well armed populace being the last defense against an overreaching gov.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
You'd have to sweeten the pot a lot more than that. Other countries have made the mistake of confusing our distaste for war with a lack of resolve to very ably fight one.

I, on the other hand, would surmise America would be in for a bout of urban terrorism to rival the worst seen to date. There's something about fighting for your way of life on your home soil that will bring out the absolute intransigent of mans features. Canadians have amply demonstrated their capabilities to be formidable enemies when fighting foreign wars, punching well above our weight everywhere we've been and I can only imagine we'd rise well above expectations if fighting domestically.

Which country would loan America the necessary amount to prosecute an endeavour that would result in them being cheek-by-jowl neighbours?

Old 10-12-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1856 View Post
The only thing I can say is that their view of history is different. They view government as a benevolent institution working on behalf of the people where as Americans view government as a necessary evil that needs to be kept in check. A well armed populace being the last defense against an overreaching gov.
Oh I understand the oft repeated "assumption" of the way in which we regard our governments and that is the fundamental error as we do not view our governmant any diffent than ANY other country.

How many are utilizing some form of governemnt assistance in the U.S. and compare that to Canada. Now which country would you, as an unprejudicial observor, paint with the broad brush of assuming benevolence on the part of government? We do not have anything resembling EBT cards or Food Stamps or Obamaphones for unwed mothers of multiple kids from mulitple fathers. All those are the veritable haulmarks of a citizenry dependant upon government largesse and voting for more every single election.

We however rely upon the rule of parliamentary procedure to remove those governments that presume to trample rights.

I have another way of looking upon this issue and it relates to almost every discussion I've had with American friends over many years and that is; the discussion always morphs from a government needing watching to the issue of personal safety, as in: handguns.

A medium range rifle, either semi auto or even full auto with a few spare magazines in every home, such as the Switzerland model of standing militia example, fulfills the first requirement while handguns serve no useful purpose whatsoever in challenging a gov't run amock. They do however, lend themselves very favourably to protecting yourselves from each other which your constitution never mentioned at all.

Last edited by BruSan; 10-12-2013 at 04:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada