Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 06:55 PM

542 posts, read 500,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Another anecdote here: my family and I immigrated to the US when I was a child. Last year, when I told my mom we should have moved to Canada instead, she laughed and told me that all of her dumbest friends from her med school ended up there, XD!

I suppose the rationale is that if you're in a position where you could move to any country you want to and you know you'd be able to thrive in any of them because of your talent/skills, why would you choose any country other than the US? That's where all the money, status, and power is. I personally vehemently disagree with that mentality, but it exists.

It's a shame. I really do think that Canada (among other countries) is unfairly overlooked or used as a stepping stone to the US. Maybe the US offers the best standard of living for the rich, but I don't think that's the case for the average citizen, not to mention the fact that being a US citizen means being forced to contribute to its wars and military.
Understand my skepticism when it is so common for young Americans under 30 to take the bait and when they move to Canada they find that everything you wanted to escape from in the US is in Canada too. If you want to escape from America, which sounds like your real aim rather than a genuine love for Canada, Canada is the worst country to go to because we have so many similarities and in many ways we are more backwards. Europe or Asia is a much better option if you want to get away from the things you don't like in the US. I would listen to your mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 06:55 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,480,439 times
I don't want to be an American citizen, Ivoc. I'm happy with the status quo.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
*shudder*

If this ever happens I am moving to Australia. Good luck eliminating the sovereign culture of a large island.
You think the US is racist and competitive so you would move to Australia? That's a good joke.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:00 PM

526 posts, read 452,166 times
Quote:
Well, you also have law-abiding gun nuts, as saturno purports to be.

I don't think that all Americans are bad people, not by any means. However, it is a different culture overall. More religious, more segregated in many respects, more materialistic, more competitive (and this can be a good thing!), which is why you work so many more hours and take fewer vacation days, more conservative... there are lots of differences. Some - maybe even most - are subtle.

America and Canada are different. Depending on your priorities or your own proclivities, (for instance, my father has become a practising minister since retiring, and so now prefers to spend time in the States because of the vibrant churches there), one may be better than the other. What I am definitively saying is that countries have the right to their own sovereign culture.

I think some of you Americans here are so upset at the thought that any country's residents don't see America as "the greatest country in the world" and just be beside themselves at the chance to fold into it that you feel the need to set this straight immediately, which is misguided imo.
Fair enough, I agree.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:00 PM

3,938 posts, read 3,270,826 times
Quote:
Well, you also have law-abiding gun nuts, as saturno purports to be.

...so I'm a gun nut now....keep throwing around labels and epithets my gentle, tolerant friend from Toronto

The more you post the more you resemble exactly the kind of people you despise.....

Old 02-08-2016, 07:02 PM

854 posts, read 584,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
You think the US is racist and competitive so you would move to Australia? That's a good joke.

They don't work harder than Americans do, but on the racism, OK, point taken.

I still think I would prefer it though overall. Just based on my experience with Aussies on 2-year Visas (huuuuuuuge ex-pat culture there), and Americans, 2/3rds of whom do not own a passport.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:05 PM

526 posts, read 452,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
How about New Zealand?

Old 02-08-2016, 07:06 PM

854 posts, read 584,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...so I'm a gun nut now....keep throwing around labels and epithets my gentle, tolerant friend from Toronto

The more you post the more you resemble exactly the kind of people you despise.....

Saturno: "I'm an avid gun collector, I go regularly to the range to spend fun time and there are people from all walk of life"

//www.city-data.com/forum/42916454-post1179.html

I don't know what YOU define a law-abiding gun nut as, but I define them as someone who collects guns for shizz and giggles, yes.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Stepdaughter, actually, but raised by him since 18 months old. Are you implying that I'm a liar as well? That didn't go over so well for your redneck friend. If you would like to private message me your email address and your own identity, I would be happy to trade pictures, links and notes. Or is it that you are also a latent racist and just don't believe that a black person could in any way be related to an educated man? Sounds like a Yankee to me.

And I happen to think that all of the neighbourhoods in the US outside of gated communities are dangerous neighbourhoods. Particularly at night.
Okay CDers, it's official. We've been trolled and we've been trolled good.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:08 PM

3,938 posts, read 3,270,826 times
Quote:
They don't work harder than Americans do, but on the racism, OK, point taken.

I still think I would prefer it though overall. Just based on my experience with Aussies on 2-year Visas (huuuuuuuge ex-pat culture there), and Americans, 2/3rds of whom do not own a passport.

Nobody forces you to work harder in America..if you do you get perks...

Let me tell you something from someone that actually lived in 5 different countries.

I was born and raised in Europe, that is m culture, that is what I call home.

To me Canada manages, socially, to get the worst of two worlds (Europe and USA).

Low wages as Europe but without the western European social perks (vacation, job security, etc...)

If I want to go for the low wages and less meritocracy I rather get the other sweeter side of the deal as well and stay in Europe....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada