Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 12:51 PM

Location: The worlds most liveable city in the worlds most livable nation! "The most beautiful place on Earth"
52 posts, read 47,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Mainly because of my job I personally met and talked to several hundred Canadians who were transferred out of Quebec. They had no say. The company didn't ask their opinions or preferences but simplify announced - move or lose your job. It was a tough decision for many with family ties in the city. I worked in the Treasury department of my company. The department was moved to get the money out of the province in case it became independent. Nothing to do with tolerance.
Like I said, that is your specific situation. Most people left due to Quebec's discriminatory policies and political movements that had the very intention of driving out non pure line Quebeckers. Even today most English speakers in Quebec say that they are considering leaving due these factors. If you didn't leave due to discrimination that is great, but hundreds of thousands of others sure have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 03:31 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times

Old 02-09-2016, 03:40 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canada number one View Post
Like I said, that is your specific situation. Most people left due to Quebec's discriminatory policies and political movements that had the very intention of driving out non pure line Quebeckers. Even today most English speakers in Quebec say that they are considering leaving due these factors. If you didn't leave due to discrimination that is great, but hundreds of thousands of others sure have.
The phrase you're trying to use is "pure laine," not "pure line."

Old 02-09-2016, 03:45 PM

525 posts, read 454,012 times
I'm not sure why this thread was reopened; lately the posts haven't been very relevant to the original topic.

In a nutshell, no, Canada and America should not merge. We Americans need to sort out our own problems before dragging Canadians into them. We can still be good neighbors though!

Old 02-09-2016, 04:48 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
I'm not sure why this thread was reopened; lately the posts haven't been very relevant to the original topic.

In a nutshell, no, Canada and America should not merge. We Americans need to sort out our own problems before dragging Canadians into them. We can still be good neighbors though!
This topic has 1300 posts,IMO a successful topic generating much discussion and debate, i dont see the point of closing it.
Agreed i dont see a need for the two countries to unite.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:23 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
The phrase you're trying to use is "pure laine," not "pure line."
Pretty sure that was intentional on the part of the poster.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:31 PM

854 posts, read 586,081 times
I would like to modify my response to say that perhaps America should unite with Quebec.

After reading some of that other thread, I think, you know what? Let America experience the many joys of multilingualism. They're already on their way so what's one more? Cheers!

Old 02-09-2016, 07:47 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Again eventual unification would seem likely but there is no hurry. Maybe in the 22nd century?

In the interim we share all sorts of stuff and could well combine in some supra national way. And that would likely make sense. I would think an open border between the countries would be a rational goal. That would let the people of both countries float back and forth as their will and the various economies dictated.

Get that working for 25 years and we start figuring out how to include Mexico.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:49 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
I am the only one that thinks that some kind of Union would be a good thing? In these times of uncertainty and the rise of threats else where in the world (both militarily and economically) is when we should stick together the most. The Europeans did it, why can't we?

Old 02-09-2016, 08:02 PM

854 posts, read 586,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I am the only one that thinks that some kind of Union would be a good thing? In these times of uncertainty and the rise of threats else where in the world (both militarily and economically) is when we should stick together the most. The Europeans did it, why can't we?

And how is that working out for them?

Unemployment is now much higher in all smaller nations that amalgamated than it was before, they no longer have borders or passport checks so cannot stop the influx or bleed of workers or refugees from one end to another, and I've read that Italians are far less likely to even siesta anymore! Is there really anything so wrong with a smaller country having cultural sovereignty that their cultures shouldn't even be allowed to exist, they should just get swallowed up?

This makes me sad. I really would just like to know why not even ONE person can provide me with a list of ways that Canada would benefit from this, as opposed to CEOs and the United States. I've had to conclude that it's because there IS no list of reasons. Canada would surely not benefit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada