Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 10:23 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
At least officially and legally, God Save the Queen I believe was Canada's national anthem until around 1980.

It still has official status today as Canada's "royal anthem" I am pretty sure.

I was born in Canada and my family has been here for 400 years, and I don't know the words to God Save the Queen beyond the first line of "God save our gracious Queen". And just with that I probably know more than 99% of people I know.
Not quite. God Save the King/Queen and The Maple Leaf Forever, were never legally our national anthems, but in practice were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
When I moved to Canada and went to school we would start the day off by singing the anthem and saying the Lords Prayer. When I was a teenager, I remember getting blasted by some ladies for not knowing the words to "God save the queen". I was very surprised as I had never been taught to sing that, When I became a citizen it was not asked of us to know that song. So why the big deal about not knowing that particular anthem? That was the only time that happened to me and I didn't mean any disrespect, I just wasn't familiar with that song. But I was really taken a back by how angry the ladies got. I guess that anthem was more relevant at one point?
That's odd. I grew up in Vancouver and we sang it in school every morning, but I don't know the words to the full song. I've never been questioned, like you were.

Sounds like you just bumped into some busybody's. How the heck did it come up in the first place??

Old 03-30-2015, 10:34 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not quite. God Save the King/Queen and The Maple Leaf Forever, were never legally our national anthems, but in practice were.
I would have thought it was the other way around. In the 1970s O Canada was certainly the national anthem in practice all over Canada.

Singing of God Save the Queen (outside Quebec, as there it was never really sung) as a national anthem declined precipitously as far as I can see starting in the 1960s.

By the 70s O Canada was very dominant.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I would have thought it was the other way around. In the 1970s O Canada was certainly the national anthem in practice all over Canada.

Singing of God Save the Queen (outside Quebec, as there it was never really sung) as a national anthem declined precipitously as far as I can see starting in the 1960s.

Yes O Canada became the dominant one and was more popular in Quebec...it was written by two Quebecker's after all. O Canada was the first anthem to be made legally Canada's national anthem in 1980.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:32 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Then let's get rid of the monarchy then, if people don't care about it at all.
If placed to a vote to be quite honest i'd be open if there was a better alternative.. Please though, don't give me a Harry Reid, John Boehner, Nanci Pelosi, Mitch McConnell, Barack Obama dynamic - otherwise thanks i'll just keep the bloody Queen, our useless and expensive Senate, a GG nobody knows exists (David who....) and the wannabe dictator lol!!!!

Old 03-30-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that's pretty pathetic.

The Queen has no cultural significance to Canada whatsoever. Angelina Jolie probably has more of a cultural impact on Canada than Queen Elizabeth II, I would say.

Those people are just delusional. In order to have one more thing say about Canada being different from the US, we choose to share a head of state with like 15 other countries?

Plus, what's the stupid urge to be so different from the US? The two countries are culturally highly similar and bear little difference to an outsider, having a Queen or not, those people should just deal with it.

When Canadians care less about what happens in the US, stop trading 80% of this one country, Canadian celebrities stop moving to California, and CTV stop reporting some random snowstorm in NYC or some gun fight in Boston, then we may have a chance to be different from the US. The Queen can't do a thing.
In broad terms I suppose there is really little that is culturally different between English Canada and the U.S... It has to be emphasized in broad terms though!! I'm sure if you went down to Texas and made the claim that they were culturally the same as Massachussets you might have some problems lol... By all means though please, go down and try it and let me know how that works

As for trade - I'm fine with keeping the U.S as our largest trading partner - two stable countries with similar values, a country that has 9X (note I said 9 and not 11 so I do read your posts haha) the people that we do and is geographically linked with all the infrastructure linkage that goes with it.. Why shouldn't they be our biggest trade partner - it makes no sense for a small nation like Canada to have it any other way really.. We'd be stupid not too imo..

I do agree with you about our media - i'd say it has a greater obsession with constantly reporting even the most inane things going on in the U.S than joe blow Canadian really cares about.. Most of the guys at my work talk about Hockey and shop talk - not snowstorms in Boston.. As a matter of fact, I might rather talk about Snowstorms in Boston than having to listen to the constant whining about the Leafs losing again...........

Last edited by fusion2; 03-30-2015 at 09:37 PM..

Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:

Yeah I don't ever recall singing god save the Queen.. If I sing about god saving a Queen it wouldn't be that one....

Old 03-30-2015, 09:05 PM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If placed to a vote to be quite honest i'd be open if there was a better alternative.. Please though, don't give me a Harry Reid, John Boehner, Nanci Pelosi, Mitch McConnell, Barack Obama dynamic - otherwise thanks i'll just keep the bloody Queen, our useless and expensive Senate, a GG nobody knows exists (David who....) and the wannabe dictator lol!!!!
As I said before, I totally believe you and know there are millions of Canadians who think like you. But I also believe that if you take Quebec out of the equation, there is a virtually equal number of Canadians who have the opposite view, for a variety of reasons.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:24 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah I don't ever recall singing god save the Queen.. If I sing about god saving a Queen it wouldn't be that one....
It would be the band with such hits as "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Radio GaGa"?

Seriously, as I recall the years of my early schooling, we had "God Save the Queen" and "O Canada" every morning, as well as the Lord's Prayer. But "God Save the Queen" and the Lord's Prayer ended by about Grade 3 or so; after that, it was only "O Canada" with the morning announcements.

I did have one teacher who tried to teach us "The Maple Leaf Forever," in case that became the national anthem; but as we all know, nothing came of that officially. But I can still remember the first verse and chorus.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
It would be the band with such hits as "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Radio GaGa"?

Seriously, as I recall the years of my early schooling, we had "God Save the Queen" and "O Canada" every morning, as well as the Lord's Prayer. But "God Save the Queen" and the Lord's Prayer ended by about Grade 3 or so; after that, it was only "O Canada" with the morning announcements.

I did have one teacher who tried to teach us "The Maple Leaf Forever," in case that became the national anthem; but as we all know, nothing came of that officially. But I can still remember the first verse and chorus.
Oh yes - that Queen most certainly would be one of them among others

I entered school in the late 70's so the Lord's prayer and God Save the Queen were gone at that point but I feel slightly embarrassed to admit not knowing of "The Maple Leaf Forever" - I will youtube it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada