Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 01:18 PM

491 posts, read 324,191 times

Advertisements

The US and Canada are quite different in terms of social outlook and political system. Such differences should scupper any union. The closest of friends - yes, but no union. Maybe if Canada abandons the silly monarchy and becomes a Republic a good Union could be reached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 01:25 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
So, to re-cap: People who have worked get two federal retirement payments: CPP and OAS. That doesn't sound like it could add up to less than what SS pays people in the US.

And in addition, they have some form of employer-based pension? Not counting any savings plans they may have. I'm trying to compare funds that have been matched or otherwise enhanced by either federal or employer sources. So upon retirement or in old age, retirees get 3 checks in the mail every month? Did I get that right?

Old 03-31-2015, 01:36 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So, to re-cap: People who have worked get two federal retirement payments: CPP and OAS. That doesn't sound like it could add up to less than what SS pays people in the US.

And in addition, they have some form of employer-based pension? Not counting any savings plans they may have. I'm trying to compare funds that have been matched or otherwise enhanced by either federal or employer sources. So upon retirement or in old age, retirees get 3 checks in the mail every month? Did I get that right?
Yes, that will be my case when I retire (some time from now).

Old 03-31-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
The US and Canada are quite different in terms of social outlook and political system. Such differences should scupper any union. The closest of friends - yes, but no union. Maybe if Canada abandons the silly monarchy and becomes a Republic a good Union could be reached.
Judging from some of the posts on here it's just a question of time as no one in Canada cares anymore about keeping the monarchy (or not). It's a wonder that we still have it!

Just teasing, guys!

Old 03-31-2015, 02:13 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
CPP is a pension fund that all workers pay into during their careers. You don't have a choice but in order to get payments in retirement you have to have paid into it. A stay-at-home mom will not get CPP payments.

OAS is old age security. Everyone gets this. Even if you've never worked for a salary - like a stay-at-home mom.

There is a clawback from one relative to the other though, to avoid double-dipping. Not sure of the exact details.
There is an income limit where one does not receive OAS. It's currently set at $114,815

Old 03-31-2015, 02:19 PM

156 posts, read 200,220 times

Old 03-31-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There is an income limit where one does not receive OAS. It's currently set at $114,815
OK, thanks. I suppose it is gradually reduced as your income rises, until it arrives at zero.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Basically yes...IF you have a company pension and also have the age. My situation is that I'm collecting my company pension, but am too young to collect CPP and OAS. I can start taking a reduced CPP at age 60, or wait until I'm 65 for a full pension. I can even wait longer for a bit more of an increase.
You can also still be employed and not retired and start collecting CPP. This is a change from the old rules where if you wanted to collect you had to be retired, but then could start working again once you started to collect.
Kind of silly, so it made sense to change it.

OAS is only collectable when you reach a certain age. It has always been 65 but they are changing it overtime to be 67. The birth cut off date is April 1958, so I can't collect at 65 since I'm an autumn '58 baby, but I can collect at 65 plus the extra months added from April.

Everyone's situation will be slightly different.

My mother collects about $1,020 in CPP. $513.00 in OAS. Plus she has her work pension and investment income as well.

Another thing to consider in retirement is of course healthcare and living assistance. My mother needs someone in the morning and evening to dress her and wash her seven days a week. The cost is reasonable. It was around $700 per month, but because of the care she doesn't use, and the time allotted ( they split the hour charge into two 30 minute visits ) they reassessed and now only pays $300.00 a month. Unreal really.

Since you are comparing US and Canada, how does homecare work in the US, or at least in the US where you live, since I'm sure like in Canada prices etc vary per region.

Here's a link re OAS..go crazy LOL and CPP

Old Age Security payment amounts - Service Canada

Canada Pension Plan (CPP) - Service Canada

Old 03-31-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
OK, thanks. I suppose it is gradually reduced as your income rises, until it arrives at zero.
There are clawbacks..just not sure how and when...I don't think I'll fall into that category LOL

Old 03-31-2015, 03:25 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
This makes so much sense! In the US, people with their own lavish retirement accounts (from employer and their own saving and savvy investing) still receive Social Security, even though they don't need it at all, and don't even want it. That's a terrible waste, especially considering some people would convince us that the system is currently underfunded. Also, people earning over a certain amount while employed don't have to pay into the system above a certain amount of their paycheck. There's a cap over which nothing is withheld for SS. So as you can see, there are easy ways to address what we're told is an impending shortfall in the fund, but the conservative sector wants to fix it by cutting back on payouts to individuals, and raising the age at which people will receive the full benefit.

Very interesting discussion. Thank you all for contributing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada