Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 09:08 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

I am not one who will even attempt to describe the Canadian culture, as so many of you seem to demand. I am content in knowing my country approaches some major philosophical issues differently as a whole from other countries which sets us apart or indicates a cultural difference.

s.
It's nonetheless true that such things are for some reason much easier to pin down (with many more concrete examples) for most other countries in the world...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 09:09 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
So in other words you do support an economic EU style merger then?
Where in these posts have I argued against an economic arrangement with fewer tariffs and red tape. That however does not imply a "merger".

The title of the thread is merging to become one country and Europe has certainly done nothing even approximating that, has it?

For my own prurient interests, I would prefer a rolling back of the clock to pre-9/11 sensitivities to border security, but alas, fear is a powerful motivator for tighter and purely placebo in nature, controls.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:09 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
You see, you say this and I wish it was the case, which it is ultimately. I hope to think that people aren't as easily influenced by the bandwagon as I think they are, because it's laughable.
As far as the high-tailing it part, Like I said, I don't think its personal with Canadians, so I'm not singling them out. Because I find that a good number of people from other 1st countries keep on looking over here, and I wanna just tell them "stop looking, bro. Party's full".
You're overplaying things in terms of jumping on any bandwagon or most people wanting to move to the U.S.. I'm sorry I just don't see it.. I think if you look at the number of Canadian ex-pats in the U.S the percentage against the population of Canada is pretty low..

Old 05-04-2015, 09:10 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You really need to spend more time with Canadians - like real living Canadians who breath, work and have families, go to school.. Quite frankly, even if we did want to 'dump' on the U.S as some are needlessly whining about - most of us just don't have the time lol....
I think when it comes to the "dumping on the US" part, everyone is being honest for the most part. I dont think Canadians needlessly go out of their way to bash Americans to each other. But I do find that if you are a Canadian that moves to the US once you return it opens up alot of those discussions that you never had before and are quite frankly very negative at times.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

Second, most countries around the world consume American popular culture, that is very true. But none do so as singularly and as voraciously as do Canadians, all while condemning American "imperialism, " and fearing for their own national culture. .
It's the difference between ''supplement'' and ''supplant''.

Most everywhere in the world American culture supplements the local culture. In Canada it supplants it.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Where in these posts have I argued against an economic arrangement with fewer tariffs and red tape. That however does not imply a "merger".

The title of the thread is merging to become one country and Europe has certainly done nothing even approximating that, has it?

For my own prurient interests, I would prefer a rolling back of the clock to pre-9/11 sensitivities to border security, but alas, fear is a powerful motivator for tighter and purely placebo in nature, controls.
omg Brusan - you're not towing the line like you should be.. Actually i'm confused, what line are we 'supposed' to be towing anyway lol....

Old 05-04-2015, 09:11 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:

Oh we moved on way past the complete merger stage and shifted to the EU style stage. Either way I was kind of just fuc*ing with you man.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's the difference between ''supplement'' and ''supplant''.

Most everywhere in the world American culture supplements the local culture. In Canada it supplants it.
How and where? Maybe there is a spectrum here but I think you're going waaaaay too far with the supplants part.. Yet at the same time aren't you professing that we aren't open enough to being supplemented or supplanted... So what is it exactly?

Old 05-04-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I think when it comes to the "dumping on the US" part, everyone is being honest for the most part. I dont think Canadians needlessly go out of their way to bash Americans to each other. But I do find that if you are a Canadian that moves to the US once you return it opens up alot of those discussions that you never had before and are quite frankly very negative at times.
Strange - I don't have these discussions Ed... I can't dismiss personal experiences but if this were the case for me I too would be honest. I simply don't see it! I do work with a few American natives at work (more so than Canadians who were in the U.S and moved back to Canada) and aside from the odd joke there is just nothing deep in terms of any type of nationalistic overtones..

In terms of your own personal experiences feel free to elaborate on these discussions.

On a personal note, the last discussion I had with a fellow Canadian coworker at work about the U.S was about building code in L.A (her son is an architect and does work there) and how they build and design homes in a quake prone area. Its largely matter of fact discussions linked to friends/family who either live or work there.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Gee, I have a simple solution to that terrible predicament imposed on poor Canadians by that arrogant nation to the south: protest with your wallets. Problem solved.

No one in Canada is forced to consume American cultural products. There is a border between the two countries and Canadian officials elected by the people control the regulatory environment for all matters including cultural ones.

Canadians could produce a ton of feature films, and Canadians could flock to go see them, and there isn't anything Americans, Hollywood and Jack Valenti (if he is still around) could do about it.

(Well, *some* Canadians already do this with a respectable amount of success.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada