Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 09:25 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
I can agree with this. But most of the stuff you said can be said about American culture as well. Only in Europe will you find real hard engraved culture.
So if you're not Canadian, what would you tell people abroad when they ask what you are? I'm just curious.
You are right.

I never even hinted that the US has tons of "culture". Hollywood is some culture, but more culture should be defined as food, tradition, lifestyle, art etc., not just pop culture such as what's on TV and radio. However, at least the US created something that distinguishes it from and has a huge influence on other countries. Canada didn't and simply choose to do whatever the Americans do.

I don't agree *only* in Europe you find real hard engraved culture. This is so Euro-centric, and ignorant. Does India have no culture? China? Iran? Morocco? Egypt? Or you think only western Christian civilization is culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 09:41 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Okay, I'll bite: where does my "default" approach to fusion come from, Dr. Freud?

You really are imagining my response to you, fusion. I don't know you personally, but I really like and enjoy the online you. If I didn't, I wouldn't reply to your posts.

Now, BruSan, on the other hand...
Hey! What have I said to upset you lately?

Old 05-05-2015, 09:50 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Not to further digress, but Tintin and Astérix (especially) were very popular in the West Indies. Both my wife and I are familiar with the characters, so this seems to be consistent across West Indian countries. This is not something that was familiar to Anglo-Canadians from what I recall as well.

Have to disagree. The Adventures of Tintin was a very popular cartoon series in Canada, made by a Canadian company based out of Toronto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb-9TIr31i0

Old 05-05-2015, 10:03 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
this is what I found extremely ironic and it is often mentioned by Canadians. So instead of looking like the US, Victoria looks more like the UK, and therefore it is more "Canadian" culture? And how is it "unique" as you admitted it only displays vestige of English culture - wouldn't England have plenty of English culture?

I guess anything non-American is proudly presented as Canadian culture, hahaha.

People say we immigrants didn't care to learn and find Canadian culture, maybe true to some extent, but if it takes that much effort to even notice it, then it is fair to say it is not that strong and widely conspicuous in the first place.

True culture isn't just movies and celebrities. That's quite right, nor should it be limited to some high end classic music or literature. Culture would present itself in every aspect of one's life in very simple ways, in all the minor details. If you visit countries like Italy, China, Japan, you see distinct culture in everything they eat, they watch, they do, in décor of houses, in holiday celebration, which is all quite unique and distinct from other countries. Many countries even have their unique singing and dancing styles. I might be extremely ignorant, but I simply don't find much of it in typical Canadian way of living that tells me "THIS IS CANADA!"

Can someone tell me what is a typical Canadian way of living? Any special drinks/food for special occasions? Special ways to celebrate Christmas or Victoria Day? Special national costumes? Any other special traditions that you don't see in other western countries? These are not rhetorical questions and I am all ears.

I am not saying Canada has no culture. Every country has culture, but that Canada's culture is extremely weak, scant and indistinguishable from the rest of the Christian world.
My goodness Botti. All cultures on this planet can inevitably trace their roots back to medieval times or before. Because we are a vestige of the British Empire our culture will of course have those tenets among it. Why on earth shouldn't we lay claim to that just as you call it British culture which in turn may have emanated largely from Roman or Scandinavian influence. Cripes; it all has to start somewhere.

By me saying our culture is identifiably different from that of the U.S. does not in any way say that there is not significant influence upon it by America with some of that being positive and embraceable.

There is far too much assumption by many on here that everyone's natural tendency to defend when treated to a measure of condescension, is an indictment upon all things American. The tolerance quotient for some of us to overlook what others do not even notice is of course going to vary with many considerations, especially experience and age.

Chevy for instance is not alone in his regard for that venerable automobile. I've only ever bought two other makes of vehicles my entire life one an MGB and the other two a couple of Dodge trucks all of my other cars and trucks starting with my first (51 Chev Deluxe torpedo back) have either been Chevs or Buicks. I've also owned no small number of motorcycles every single year since 59 with that one being a 51 Pan Head bought from Russ winters in Toronto in 1958 and can attest to the last few of them all being Harleys for a good reason. Now that's some American culture right there that has never and will never see it's equal.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:23 AM

678 posts, read 875,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
No, it really can't. A LOT of American "culture" is crap, but at least it's their own. What does it say about another country - and I'm talking about ANY country - that buys into all that garbage in more ways than one? All while condemning it?

I think your posts are a welcome addition to the Canadian threads, don. It's always a pleasure to talk to Americans who know about, and appreciate, things in Canada. But have you ever actually lived in Canada?
No, but I didn't realize that I was stating Canadian culture existed either, because I don't think it does , and I'm done defending it, too. I am simply stating that Americas culture isn't theirs either. Some of it is, but a lot of it is nothing to be proud of. What kinda of culture is really "theirs"? iPhones? iPhones that were made somewhere else?
like botti said, going to places like Europe and Asia you will find real culture that is defined more than little gadgets that come out of America and materialistic images that America creates on a TV screen.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:39 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
Have to disagree. The Adventures of Tintin was a very popular cartoon series in Canada, made by a Canadian company based out of Toronto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb-9TIr31i0
That is interesting and I do not doubt what you are saying. I just don't recall the published comics being a part of most of my Canadian friends childhood. Whereas translations like the "Black Island" was definitely something that was present in many West Indian households.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:56 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
That is interesting and I do not doubt what you are saying. I just don't recall the published comics being a part of most of my Canadian friends childhood. Whereas translations like the "Black Island" was definitely something that was present in many West Indian households.
Yeah. Nelvana from Toronto got the contract to produce the animated TV series and this led to the series being shown on TV in Canada and elsewhere. It helped increase Tintin's visibility a bit I suppose but it was fairly late in the game as Tintin has been popular since the 1940s and 1950s in much of the world. Not sure if it led to a boost in actual comic album sales in Anglo Canada. My siblings' spouses are all Anglo-Canadians born and raised and had never heard of Tintin before the Spielberg movie came out a few years ago.

BTW I have also heard many times that Astérix is the best-selling comic strip in the history of the word. And yet totally unknown in anglo NA. There is even an Astérix theme park in suburban Paris. You can visit it and hear many languages and accents of the world but barely any North American English, if at all.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Absolutely!

Before I moved here, and for the first 6 months in Canada, I really wanted to be more Canadian. Eat Canadian, do things Canadian. Watch Canadian TV and talk to friends about it.

Only to find it is impossible. People here just live like a typical American. Replace CVS with Shoppers and you have a Canadian life. My colleagues talk about Game of Thrones, and on TV I am disgusted by Canadian Idol, So you think you can Dance, Canada, Amazing Race, Canada, Top Chef Canada. It is like Canada sets its mind on recreating a smaller (and usually inferior/less interesting) version of everything American. How comes is there no "The Voice, Canada"?

And honestly Canadian news are extremely boring. Yeah, Ontario teachers are striking again, and Toronto housing market continues to be hot. Yawn.

So far the only thing where I "integrated" is my breakfast. I have been eating milk/cereal or bagels for the past 7 years, but there is really nothing Canadian about that either. Other than that, hardly anything I am aware of.

What else? Say sorry if I am in other people's way? I always did that even before I came to Canada.

I am not complaining about my life here - although not wealthy, I am satisfied with my quality of life here. But there is nothing Canadian about me or anything.

It is not about melting pot or salad bowl, or the fact the government encourages diversity. There is simply nothing to melt into.
Here in Quebec, the situation is a bit different. As most people probably know a good number of our immigrants here ''get away'' from the francophone majority culture. They adopt English as their main language (though they often know French too) but the culture they integrate into is that of the Anglo-American mainstream just like it would be had they settled in Ajax, Ontario or Calgary, Alberta. This trend is much more prevalent among the older established immigrant groups and is slowly declining as newer immigrants tend to be more French-oriented. It still happens though, but far less than it used to.

As for the immigrants who integrate into French, after a short while they tend to become far more knowledgeable about the host society's culture (Québécois in this case) than immigrants in places like Toronto and Vancouver tend to be about Anglo-Canadian culture.

I've often given the example of the Quebec St-Jean-Baptiste show on June 24 vs. the Canada Day show in Ottawa on July 1.

On June 24 you have can have singers of Caribbean origin doing a reggae version of French Canadian folk songs from the 1800s alongside a folkloric old Québécois fogey like Gilles Vigneault...

On Canada Day, it's everyone in their silos: a Québécois band, followed by an Inuit singer, followed by Ukrainian dancers, followed by an Anglo-Canadian rocker like Tom Cochrane, followed by folk singer Gordon Lightfoot, followed by Cape Breton fiddlers, followed by a hip hop artist from Jane-Finch. And no one really mixes.

The hip hop dude from Jane-Finch probably has no idea who Gordon Lightfoot is, let alone what the Québécois band is doing there...

Old 05-05-2015, 12:15 PM

Here a little Acajack story...

I went to university in English in Ontario. Not taking English classes at a bilingual one like Laurentian or Ottawa U. A real English language only university.

Anyone, one day in a Canadian studies class, the professor brought out a study from the Friends of Canadian Broadcasting about TV viewership in Canada.

One of the things that jumped out was the francophone Canadians devoted 75-80% of their television viewing (drama, fiction and variety) to Canadian productions.

Anglophone Canadians on the other hand devoted something like 95% of this viewing time to ''foreign productions".

The discussion initially began with a bit of chest-thumping from many of my classmates, who proclaimed how worldly anglophone Canadians were and how insular francophone Canadians (well, Quebecers really is what they had in mind) were. Here was proof of this. Remember we were all about 20 years old.

The professor, who was an old Jewish guy from Montreal, brought them down to earth when he reminded them that 93 of the 95% was simply mainstream American programming, and that it wasn't an indication of worldliness at all. Quite the contrary.

He said something like: ''We're talking Home Improvement, Baywatch and Cosby Show, guys. Not the best the world has to offer from the BBC and other high quality networks..."

Old 05-05-2015, 12:25 PM

261 posts, read 275,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
On June 24 you have can have singers of Caribbean origin doing a reggae version of French Canadian folk songs from the 1800s alongside a folkloric old Québécois fogey like Gilles Vigneault...

On Canada Day, it's everyone in their silos: a Québécois band, followed by an Inuit singer, followed by Ukrainian dancers, followed by an Anglo-Canadian rocker like Tom Cochrane, followed by folk singer Gordon Lightfoot, followed by Cape Breton fiddlers, followed by a hip hop artist from Jane-Finch. And no one really mixes.

The hip hop dude from Jane-Finch probably has no idea who Gordon Lightfoot is, let alone what the Québécois band is doing there...
It is a different integration model to be sure. I guess maybe Gérard Bouchard would tell you that this is the difference between multiculturalism and interculturalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada