Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 09:03 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Thank you, Acajack! One would think that "logic disconnect" is obvious, no?
Apparently not. I have to provide concrete proof that Canadians mostly watch American movies and TV...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I love this post as Canadian's are known to be a "I and Let Live Society" unlike below our 49th Parallel. Can you Imagine the US Government accepting our multi-party Political System?? How about our Universal HC System?? How about freedom to marry regardless of sexual orientation and receive all due benefits?? OHHH yeah.. How about our GUN Regulations??? LOL Yikes..USA as we know it may explode if they are required to adopt such a constitution

So in a word..USA and Canada becoming One Country in one word.....NO!!
I don't agree with Nat completely, but he made a good post which, bizarrely enough, you disproved (and proved my point more) in your reply to his.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I don't see it. Canada and US have very different cultures based on looking at political systems alone.US already has many differences by region. Besides Canada wouldn't come out well representative wise. I think trade ties are enough personally and US is big enough as it is. Just see the difference in the pipeline debate that would have stalled much of Canada's wealth from oil alone. I do think the trade alliance of Canada;US and Mexico has great possibility in the future with right leadership in each tho.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Just see the difference in the pipeline debate that would have stalled much of Canada's wealth from oil alone.
Canada's wealth is in no way dependent on whether that Keystone pipeline is built or not built.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:18 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't see it. Canada and US have very different cultures based on looking at political systems alone.US already has many differences by region. Besides Canada wouldn't come out well representative wise. I think trade ties are enough personally and US is big enough as it is. Just see the difference in the pipeline debate that would have stalled much of Canada's wealth from oil alone. I do think the trade alliance of Canada;US and Mexico has great possibility in the future with right leadership in each tho.
Oh my, as an American, you used the forbidden term "very different cultures" which will almost certainly result in you getting chastised by some Canadians and an ex-pat or two all claiming we don't have a distinct culture because we watch American TV and winter in Florida.

The pipeline oil is and always was getting sent via rail and truck in any case so no stall occurred and any worries on the economic benefit to Canada are therefore wasted.

Your one take-away point of trade ties being sufficient enough is very valid.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh my, as an American, you used the forbidden term "very different cultures" which will almost certainly result in you getting chastised by some Canadians and an ex-pat or two all claiming we don't have a distinct culture because we watch American TV and winter in Florida.
The justification for Canada remaining a separate country from the U.S. (which I agree with, believe it or not) is on more solid ground when it is framed in terms of mindset and outlook on life as opposed to cultural differences (which do exist of course but they can be more subtle).

Old 05-08-2015, 08:35 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The justification for Canada remaining a separate country from the U.S. (which I agree with, believe it or not) is on more solid ground when it is framed in terms of mindset and outlook on life as opposed to cultural differences (which do exist of course but they can be more subtle).
I'm confused; it was my perhaps mistaken belief that a generalized "mindset" and "outlook on life" were two very important defining aspects of those things describing a cultural uniqueness.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:59 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Uh, if I'm one of the ex-pats you're talking about, sir, I HAVE NEVER SAID ANYTHING OF THE KIND. Please stop putting words into my mouth or hearing what you want to hear.

I've essentially said (and you can review my posts, if you like, for confirmation) that Canadians CHOOSE to saturate themselves in things American (culture, news, leisure, etc). They CHOOSE, in many ways, to be a facsimile of the US. Far too much, imo, IF they also fear, as they often claim they do, of being swallowed up by the US. IF they also feel, as they almost all say they do, that the US is too powerful a country and its influence too widespread.

The problem is NOT that you consume American culture or winter in Florida, per se - however much you insist that that's what I and others have suggested. The problem, which is obvious, is that YOUR ACTIONS DON'T MATCH YOUR WORDS. It's nonsensical.

If Canadians - or anyone else, for that matter - feel that the US is too big and too powerful, and that it can "corrupt" other countries with its negative influences if allowed to - and most of you have expressed that opinion on these threads at one time or another - then it seems to me that the best solution, the easiest and surest solution, is to NOT allow it to. STOP helping to make the US so powerful. Doesn't that make sense?

It's very logical. But some of you don't want to hear it. You choose, instead, to distort, ignore, and dismiss.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I'm confused; it was my perhaps mistaken belief that a generalized "mindset" and "outlook on life" were two very important defining aspects of those things describing a cultural uniqueness.
They're not always related to culture.

Ann Coulter and Jon Stewart are of the same culture but their mindset, outlook on life and vision of society are diametrically opposed.

People of the same culture as me don't necessarily think the exact same way as me. That idea is ridiculous.

And people from very different cultures than mine may share my mindset and outlook on life.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:12 AM

105 posts, read 98,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Uh, if I'm one of the ex-pats you're talking about, sir, I HAVE NEVER SAID ANYTHING OF THE KIND. Please stop putting words into my mouth or hearing what you want to hear.

I've essentially said (and you can review my posts, if you like, for confirmation) that Canadians CHOOSE to saturate themselves in things American (culture, news, leisure, etc). They CHOOSE, in many ways, to be a facsimile of the US. Far too much, imo, IF they also fear, as they often claim they do, of being swallowed up by the US. IF they also feel, as they almost all say they do, that the US is too powerful a country and its influence too widespread.

The problem is NOT that you consume American culture or winter in Florida, per se - however much you insist that that's what I and others have suggested. The problem, which is obvious, is that YOUR ACTIONS DON'T MATCH YOUR WORDS. It's nonsensical.

If Canadians - or anyone else, for that matter - feel that the US is too big and too powerful, and that it can "corrupt" other countries with its negative influences if allowed to - and most of you have expressed that opinion on these threads at one time or another - then it seems to me that the best solution, the easiest and surest solution, is to NOT allow it to. STOP helping to make the US so powerful. Doesn't that make sense?

It's very logical. But some of you don't want to hear it. You choose, instead, to distort, ignore, and dismiss.
It makes perfect sense to me. It all seems rather contradictory to lament American cultural imperialism as you consume it. It isn`t Americans who spread their culture to Canada, it`s Canadians who prefer it to their own cultural trappings that are doing the spreading. This goes for other countries as well. If you want to deal a blow to the oppressive American regime as you claim, stop feeding them your money everyday. Anyways, it all comes off as childish and whiny since their actions never match their words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada