Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 11:43 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times

Advertisements

Are you required to register firearms in Canada? What firearms can a citizen legally possess for hunting? Are modern muzzle loaders okay? How about high-powered air rifles (no I am not being cute, I am serious) for small game like squirrels, birds. Do firearms laws vary greatly from province to province and city to country like the US? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 12:16 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
There is no more long gun registry. You are required to have a licence to purchase any firearms, however traditional hunting rifles and shotguns are non-restricted. You need no permits or licences to purchase or use an air rifle. There is only one set of laws for the whole country.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:19 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Are you required to register firearms in Canada? What firearms can a citizen legally possess for hunting? Are modern muzzle loaders okay? How about high-powered air rifles (no I am not being cute, I am serious) for small game like squirrels, birds. Do firearms laws vary greatly from province to province and city to country like the US? Thank you
I think that there are subtle differences in firearm laws between the different provinces of Canada. But at the federal level, firearms are regulated primarily by the Firearms Act and by Part III of the Criminal Code.

There are about 2 Million firearm licenses in Canada. So MANY Guns for a population of 34 Million. You do not need to register non-restricted guns (ordinary rifles, shotguns - for hunting etc).

Here's the info from the RCMP website:

Non-restricted firearms are ordinary rifles and shotguns, other than those referred to below.

Restricted firearms include:
handguns that are not prohibited;
semi-automatic, centre-fire rifles and shotguns with a barrel shorter than 470 mm;
rifles and shotguns that can be fired when their overall length has been reduced by folding, telescoping or other means to less than 660 mm; and
firearms restricted by Criminal Code Regulations.

Prohibited firearms include:
handguns with a barrel length of 105 mm or less and handguns that discharge .25 or .32 calibre ammunition, except for a few specific ones used in International Shooting Union competitions;
rifles and shotguns that have been altered by sawing or other means so that their barrel length is less than 457 mm or their overall length is less than 660 mm;
full automatics;
converted automatics, namely full automatics that have been altered so that they fire only one projectile when the trigger is squeezed; and
firearms prohibited by Criminal Code Regulations.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:01 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
Thank you so much!!

Old 10-29-2013, 04:35 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
I don't know if it was mentioned above (didn't notice it) but you do need a Possession & Acquisition Licence (PAL) to purchase ammunition and to be eligible to receive a PAL all applicants must successfully complete the Canadian Firearms Safety Course. Here is the information for regulations about different classifications of air guns: Air Guns - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Old 10-29-2013, 04:47 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,645,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
I think that there are subtle differences in firearm laws between the different provinces of Canada. But at the federal level, firearms are regulated primarily by the Firearms Act and by Part III of the Criminal Code.

There are about 2 Million firearm licenses in Canada. So MANY Guns for a population of 34 Million. You do not need to register non-restricted guns (ordinary rifles, shotguns - for hunting etc).

Here's the info from the RCMP website:

Non-restricted firearms are ordinary rifles and shotguns, other than those referred to below.

Restricted firearms include:
handguns that are not prohibited;
semi-automatic, centre-fire rifles and shotguns with a barrel shorter than 470 mm;
rifles and shotguns that can be fired when their overall length has been reduced by folding, telescoping or other means to less than 660 mm; and
firearms restricted by Criminal Code Regulations.

Prohibited firearms include:
handguns with a barrel length of 105 mm or less and handguns that discharge .25 or .32 calibre ammunition, except for a few specific ones used in International Shooting Union competitions;
rifles and shotguns that have been altered by sawing or other means so that their barrel length is less than 457 mm or their overall length is less than 660 mm;
full automatics;
converted automatics, namely full automatics that have been altered so that they fire only one projectile when the trigger is squeezed; and
firearms prohibited by Criminal Code Regulations.
In other words, firearms that have been flagged for looking scary.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
In other words, firearms that have been flagged for looking scary.
And .. what's your point?

Old 10-29-2013, 05:23 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
You should look at the entire lists of firearms restricted or prohibited by Criminal Code Regulations. They're very lengthy lists. For some of them scary looking means they aren't permitted. The same thing goes for some scary looking air guns and replicas. Not permitted..

Old 10-29-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You should look at the entire lists of firearms restricted or prohibited by Criminal Code Regulations. They're very lengthy lists. For some of them scary looking means they aren't permitted. The same thing goes for some scary looking air guns and replicas. Not permitted..
Again .. what's your point? I know what is not permitted.

Is there a need for exact replicas of AK47s?

California deputies shoot teen armed with replica AK-47 pellet gun | masslive.com

Old 10-29-2013, 05:49 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,645,815 times
Quote:
Helping others understand what this means. I asked my RCMP friend how they determined that some guns are restricted or banned while others are not even though they are the same functionally, and that's what he told me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada