Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 03:32 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Canada and Australia (2 of 53 countries) are most similar because they are Commonwealth countries and as such meet certain values and priorities (eg promoting world peace).

USA has not subscribed to Commonwealth values and priorities and are thereby dissimilar to Canada.
Aren't we being a little naïve about "Commonwealth values" here? I mean, countries like Sierra Leone are in the Commonwealth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 04:39 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Canada and Australia (2 of 53 countries) are most similar because they are Commonwealth countries and as such meet certain values and priorities (eg promoting world peace).

USA has not subscribed to Commonwealth values and priorities and are thereby dissimilar to Canada.
To claim that the Commonwealth represents the value of world peace more then other countries is also a bit blindly ethnocentric. Most reasonable people all over the world want world peace, and there are groups in all countries that don't, or can be scared into supporting policies that don't given the right situation. The Commonwealth countries are not unique in this and the UK has in recent memory invaded Iraq which was in line with American foreign policies so I don't think it's right to say Commonwealth countries are somehow inherently superior morally. That wasn't an isolated incident either, the Commonwealth was born of the British Empire, which was an extremely aggressive and inherently oppressive. Being a moral country takes work and we can never assume we will always act as one, to do so invites complacency.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:12 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:

Thanks for showing everyone you have no idea what you're talking about. What are "Commonwealth Values"? Like Pakistan's values? The Commonwealth matters so much less than many international groups...

Old 03-22-2016, 05:21 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Thanks for showing everyone you have no idea what you're talking about. What are "Commonwealth Values"? Like Pakistan's values? The Commonwealth matters so much less than many international groups...

lol!!!! Thank you, sir.

Look, I can almost guarantee I live in closer proximity to, and interact with, in real life, Americans, than nearly anyone else on this board. While there are of course differences between us, namely political, there are far, FAR more things that make us the same. And "the same" doesn't mean Canadians are simply "Americanized". It means a shared history, from day ONE. A closeness and familiarity between countries and citizens alike, that no other two nations on the face of the Earth can be so lucky to lay claim.

Nothing about being the same in so many much more important ways than politics is anything to get up in arms about, folks.

Are there things that happen that I just shake my head at? Damn right there is. I'm certain the same happens with them about us. Just like when
my brother and I shake our heads when the other does something embarrassing and stupid.

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 03-22-2016 at 05:36 PM..

Old 03-22-2016, 08:07 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
lol!!!! Thank you, sir.

Look, I can almost guarantee I live in closer proximity to, and interact with, in real life, Americans, than nearly anyone else on this board. While there are of course differences between us, namely political, there are far, FAR more things that make us the same. And "the same" doesn't mean Canadians are simply "Americanized". It means a shared history, from day ONE. A closeness and familiarity between countries and citizens alike, that no other two nations on the face of the Earth can be so lucky to lay claim.

Nothing about being the same in so many much more important ways than politics is anything to get up in arms about, folks.

Are there things that happen that I just shake my head at? Damn right there is. I'm certain the same happens with them about us. Just like when
my brother and I shake our heads when the other does something embarrassing and stupid.
I thank you too for a post rooted in reality lol! The Commonwealth is easily one of the most insignificant, useless, and meaningless groups of its size around. Of course there are differences, but when looking at it and comparing with other countries around the world, Canada and the US are two of the most similar around and with the quality of life and opportunity available in both places, I wouldn't consider that a bad thing at all.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:10 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
lol!!!! Thank you, sir.

Well now, there's a little bit of logic with a bite.

The two countries share an almost common birthing experience like twins 5 minutes apart with Canada perhaps remaining a frontier longer and only by the happenstance of two kings with different heritage and priorities being of differing governments today.

To what extent we can thank the Bostonians for the King moderating his demands upon the colony to the north, we have no idea.

Back when the border represented nothing more than a hypothetical line in the dirt many of our ancestors traded countries like we visit the relatives for Sunday dinners in another town.

It's been said before and Mag has reaffirmed nicely; it we share far more similarities than we do differences. Remove politicians from the equation, we'd probably find we agree on far more things without the talking heads getting in the way and muddying the waters with their constant divisive chatter.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:34 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,245 times
I thought I'd throw some statistical data into the discussion:

Lifestyle:
Car ownership - vehicles per 1,000 people
US 809
Aus 731
Can 662

Size of new build homes- square meters
US 201
Aus 214
Can 181

Role of government in society
Taxes as a % of GDP
US 26.9
Aus 25.8
Can 32.2

Are all members of the state/province and federal legislatures elected?
US Yes
Aus Yes
Can No

World view - doves or hawks
Percentage of GDP spent on defence
US 3.3
Aus 1.8
Can 0.9

They’re all big, but how crowded?
People per square km
US 32.88
Aus 3.12
Can 3.64

Percentage of population born elsewhere
US 14.3
Aus 27.7
Can 20.7

Old 03-23-2016, 06:45 AM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
How many Canadians have even been to Australia to be able to compare it to Canada?

Travel by Canadians to Foreign Countries in 2013

Visits to US: 23,406,000

Visits to Mexico: 1,664,000

Visits to United Kingdom: 1,051,000

Visits to France: 1,036,000

Visits to Australia: 186,000

Travel by Canadians to foreign countries, top 15 countries visited (2013)

Visitors to Canada in 2015:

From US: 22,058,000
From Everywhere Else: 5,497,000

Non-resident travellers entering Canada

Granted, I know a good percentage of the visits by Canadians to the US and Americans to Canada are repeat visits by the same people, but over 20 million visits per year from each side of the border visiting the other make our populations VERY familiar with each other in numbers and intensity much more than Canadians are familiar with Australia. And I know that doesn't necessarily make us more similar but it certainly makes us much more knowledgeable about each other.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:27 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
lol!!!! Thank you, sir.

Way too general. I too have direct contact with Americans and Canadians and right away can tell you that the life experience can often be more different than similar in some areas.

There is a huge difference and until you have lived in both countries -- you don't know -- you just don't know.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:07 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
I thought I'd throw some statistical data into the discussion:

Lifestyle:
Car ownership - vehicles per 1,000 people
US 809
Aus 731
Can 662

Size of new build homes- square meters
US 201
Aus 214
Can 181

Role of government in society
Taxes as a % of GDP
US 26.9
Aus 25.8
Can 32.2

Are all members of the state/province and federal legislatures elected?
US Yes
Aus Yes
Can No

World view - doves or hawks
Percentage of GDP spent on defence
US 3.3
Aus 1.8
Can 0.9

They’re all big, but how crowded?
People per square km
US 32.88
Aus 3.12
Can 3.64

Percentage of population born elsewhere
US 14.3
Aus 27.7
Can 20.7
On certain measures, Quebec sometimes skews the Canadian numbers given it's close to a quarter of the population. When Quebec is not included, the picture is sometimes a bit different. Not for everything, but for a number of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada