Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2016, 01:27 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
My take is that the differences are subtle but only between certain groups in both countries. Certainly my friends in L.A. live a similar lifestyle, but aren't fazed by the carnage shown almost daily on their news, car chases, murder etc as much as I am when I'm there.
We both travel to the same places, eat out in the various ethnic restaurants available in both cities etc.
Our political views are also quiet similar.

The huge difference for me, where subtly goes out the window is of course the gun culture that exists in the US.

The absolute shocking things politicians say, especially lately with the GOP.

The fact the the KKK can exist, whatever it's size.

The no go zones in certain cities.

The military and it's place in US society.

The influence of religion in it's politics.

The very different way public schools are funded.

The social safety nets difference.

The lack of maternity leave and federally mandated vacation time.

The lack of universal healthcare

Things like healthcare, education, maternity leave etc have real effects on peoples lives and the country as a whole.

Some of these things are group specific such as the GOP, but other things in this list are the everyday reality of my friends that live in the US whose lifestyle is similar to mine.

I guess what I'm saying is that on the surface things can look very similar, but scratch that surface and the differences really begin to show.

The two countries do share a lot, which is obvious, it's just I feel besides the subtle differences, there are some huge ones that people want to cover up because we consume a lot of US media. Heck, US media is everywhere.
Excellent post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 04:50 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Excellent post.
Minus the typos LOL but, thanks.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Natnasci; your post and Fusions brought back some memories long buried of working for Douglas Aircraft at one time and attending a meeting to be told about the assembled wings we were building and sending down to California by rail arriving all shot to hell by every caliber of bullet known to man.

They were flummoxed by this while we simply sat there and grinned away at them. We were aware that at a very early meeting discussing the total manufacture of the wings for the DC10 to be done at the Douglas Aircraft plant in Malton, they were informed they had better take steps to disguise such a tempting target for the characteristic American infantile mindset owning a firearm. They of course scoffed at that and proceeded to shrink wrap the exact standing-on-edge profile of those things in a nice bright blue shrink wrap. Imagine their chagrin when those wings arrived with their fuel tight assy all full of holes and needing almost a complete re-skin on site. The cost was enormous.

They then set about disguising the profile of the wings with lumpy old tarpaulins to a less tempting target and demanding security be provided by whatever agency would comply.

So there you have the manufacture of something in Canada for the U.S. being juxtaposed by the loosey-goosey firearms ethic of the idjits among Americans.
Great story.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:03 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
"

As for minimum wages, you are incorrect stating Washington State has a higher minimum wage than B.C.

Washington state minimum wage remains at $9.47 in 2016 | Bellingham Herald

B.C. minium wage is $10.45 per hour, it's $9.47 in Washington State. What possibly confused you is that in the US some cities can also set minimum wages. It's Seattle that is increasing the wage to $15.00 in increments. It will get to $15.00 by July 1st, 2018. Here is a link about the current wages in Seattle.

Minimum Wage - LaborStandards | seattle.gov
The Canadian dollar is only worth 75 cents US so direct comparisons are meaningless.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:42 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Quote:
My take is that the differences are subtle but only between certain groups in both countries. Certainly my friends in L.A. live a similar lifestyle, but aren't fazed by the carnage shown almost daily on their news, car chases, murder etc as much as I am when I'm there.
We both travel to the same places, eat out in the various ethnic restaurants available in both cities etc.
Our political views are also quiet similar.

The huge difference for me, where subtly goes out the window is of course the gun culture that exists in the US.

The absolute shocking things politicians say, especially lately with the GOP.

The fact the the KKK can exist, whatever it's size.

The no go zones in certain cities.

The military and it's place in US society.

The influence of religion in it's politics.

The very different way public schools are funded.

The social safety nets difference.

The lack of maternity leave and federally mandated vacation time.

The lack of universal healthcare

Things like healthcare, education, maternity leave etc have real effects on peoples lives and the country as a whole.

Some of these things are group specific such as the GOP, but other things in this list are the everyday reality of my friends that live in the US whose lifestyle is similar to mine.

I guess what I'm saying is that on the surface things can look very similar, but scratch that surface and the differences really begin to show.

The two countries do share a lot, which is obvious, it's just I feel besides the subtle differences, there are some huge ones that people want to cover up because we consume a lot of US media. Heck, US media is everywhere.

I find it interesting that you only seem to notice the negative differences when spending time in the US. It is interesting that people note these negatives, yet so many Canadians continue to relocate to the US for various reasons.

Canadians as an immigrant group are extremely successful when landing in the US. They have one of the highest household incomes along with one of the highest levels of education attainment along with one of the lowest unemployment rates of any immigrant group to the US. If the US is basically just Canada with tons of religious zealots, gun nuts and medical personnel that leave you bleeding on the street if you credit card is maxed out (After being shot of course), then why on earth does such a highly educated and socially mobile immigrant group do so well once landing? And why on earth would they willingly choose to settle in such a country when seemingly "the world is their oyster". Does that not lend itself to the assumption that there may be some positive aspects to American life vs. Canadian life? Or maybe the negatives are blown so out of proportion that Canadians feel comfortable once they settle in the US, which in turn gives them a leg up on other groups that need to go through a much more drastic cultural assimilation.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:07 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I find it interesting that you only seem to notice the negative differences when spending time in the US. It is interesting that people note these negatives, yet so many Canadians continue to relocate to the US for various reasons.

Canadians as an immigrant group are extremely successful when landing in the US. They have one of the highest household incomes along with one of the highest levels of education attainment along with one of the lowest unemployment rates of any immigrant group to the US. If the US is basically just Canada with tons of religious zealots, gun nuts and medical personnel that leave you bleeding on the street if you credit card is maxed out (After being shot of course), then why on earth does such a highly educated and socially mobile immigrant group do so well once landing? And why on earth would they willingly choose to settle in such a country when seemingly "the world is their oyster". Does that not lend itself to the assumption that there may be some positive aspects to American life vs. Canadian life? Or maybe the negatives are blown so out of proportion that Canadians feel comfortable once they settle in the US, which in turn gives them a leg up on other groups that need to go through a much more drastic cultural assimilation.
I could make a list of positives for the US (relative to Canada), but I don't have time right now.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
The Canadian dollar is only worth 75 cents US so direct comparisons are meaningless.
The Canadian dollar is worth one Canadian dollar in Canada. We don't set our minimum wage by comparing our currency to a foreign currency.

The comparison is apt.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:

You called it a negative list. I disagree. I call it a positive list for Canada.

My list was made in regards to what stands out as the BIGGEST differences between the two countries and yes, it does make the US look like it has some negatives.

The things that you say are positives in the US, aren't applicable to me. There is nothing in the US for me, that I can't get in Canada. I'm not talking about visiting Disneyland, but living day to day.

As for others, of course there are always going to be positives for people who move between the two countries.
You are judging their success on income.

From what my American friends who immigrated here and have become Canadian citizens, have told me, they are judging their success in Canada on certain values ( healthcare, equal marriage..at one time ....etc ).

Your "bleeding in the street" and " being shot of course " are beneath you Eddy. You know that the argument for universal healthcare isn't about being left in the streets, but about fairness and affordability.
The gun shots you speak of, may not be part of your everyday life ( that is if you don't read the news ) but it is an issue. An issue that is one of the differences I spoke of.

EDIT: I swear this just happened. Left this page and clicked on CBC news and got this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/capitol...ting-1.3509677

Old 03-28-2016, 04:45 PM

3,865 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Quote:
You called it a negative list. I disagree. I call it a positive list for Canada.

My list was made in regards to what stands out as the BIGGEST differences between the two countries and yes, it does make the US look like it has some negatives.

The things that you say are positives in the US, aren't applicable to me. There is nothing in the US for me, that I can't get in Canada. I'm not talking about visiting Disneyland, but living day to day.

As for others, of course there are always going to be positives for people who move between the two countries.
You are judging their success on income.

From what my American friends who immigrated here and have become Canadian citizens, have told me, they are judging their success in Canada on certain values ( healthcare, equal marriage..at one time ....etc ).

Your "bleeding in the street" and " being shot of course " are beneath you Eddy. You know that the argument for universal healthcare isn't about being left in the streets, but about fairness and affordability.
The gun shots you speak of, may not be part of your everyday life ( that is if you don't read the news ) but it is an issue. An issue that is one of the differences I spoke of.

EDIT: I swear this just happened. Left this page and clicked on CBC news and got this.

Capitol Hill shooting in Washington: Suspect shot by officers - World - CBC News
I don't recall listing even one positive for the US. It is not my intention to solicit praise for one country over the other or recruit you to immigrate. I simply stated that Canadians do extremely well for themselves once they arrive in the US and there must be a reason beyond the joys of Disney land for that. Real tangible positives that also play a huge role in their day to day lives.

I think the issue is that you are unable to view the world through another persons lense. You are stuck with your view and nothing else. Take a step back and put yourself in the shoes of an immigrant and what is important to them. You will see that the world is bigger than Nat's Vancouver and there are real factors that motivate Canadians to relocate to the US, rather than doing what is comfortable, which is remaining in their country of birth. The same way you listen to the views of your American friends who settled in Canada for their own personal reasons you should also listen to Canadians that did the same. You may be surprised that many of your views are distorted due to a lack of first hand experience or the desire to see the world from a differing perspective.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:00 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:

Ed, Canadians aren't relocating to the U.S. to flip burgers or drive trucks. I would opine most are highly skilled in a field desired by both countries but of which it just stands to reason there would be more opportunities in the U.S. comparing the two economies. It would also therefore follow that something like the healthcare at far greater cost in the U.S. could be afforded by that type of job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada