Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:08 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
where the "safety net" cost comes from? the sky? the trees?
Taxes. Do you think rich Canadians pay high taxes for no reason?

Quote:
and how much of the "wealth" is locked in the inflated price of people's primary residence?
I'm not sure that matters. Wealth is wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 07:29 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Taxes. Do you think rich Canadians pay high taxes for no reason?
Not just rich Canadians. Middle income too. Are hardworking people making 80-120K considered "rich"?
Everyone pays 12-13% sales tax, no matter how poor they are. compared with 6-7% in America. There goes 6% "wealth difference".

Quote:
I'm not sure that matters. Wealth is wealth.
yeah, I am sure average wealth for Americans was a lot higher in July 2007.
It matters because it can be eradicated with a couple of years. No matter your house is worth $1 million or 200,000, you live the same lifestyle. You are not richer by living in a 1 million dollar house.

Wealth is wealth, but if 90% of your wealth is locked in one illiquid asset, it's quite different from having the same amount of cash in the bank, or a diversified asset portfolio.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:24 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Not just rich Canadians. Middle income too. Are hardworking people making 80-120K considered "rich"?
Rich and poor are relative terms, but my point was someone that makes less than $80K is better off in Canada because of the factors I listed.

Quote:
Everyone pays 12-13% sales tax, no matter how poor they are. compared with 6-7% in America. There goes 6% "wealth difference".
Only if you spend your entire paycheck.

Quote:
yeah, I am sure average wealth for Americans was a lot higher in July 2007.
I'm not talking about average wealth, the average wealth of Americans has already rebounded and is above $300,000, but the median wealth is just a fraction of that. Median wealth is high in Canada vs America because Canada has more people above the $100K mark and less people living in or close to poverty. In other worlds, income/wealth disparity is more extreme in the USA, which is to be expected when their social mobility is so low.

Quote:
It matters because it can be eradicated with a couple of years. No matter your house is worth $1 million or 200,000, you live the same lifestyle. You are not richer by living in a 1 million dollar house.
Real property does not typically lose value, American homes lost value because they have a virtually unregulated financial sector and that isn't the case in Canada. The recession in Canada was very mild compared to the states.

Quote:
Wealth is wealth, but if 90% of your wealth is locked in one illiquid asset, it's quite different from having the same amount of cash in the bank, or a diversified asset portfolio.
Yes, but that is the case in every country. I don't know how much of the median wealth is tied up into real estate, but it is still better to be worth $80K than $38K.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:50 AM

218 posts, read 376,394 times
Botticelli is still here with his anti-Canada tirade? I haven't been on this site in a year, so I'm shocked to see that he hasn'tbeen banned. Virtually every Canada/Toronto related thread has him antagonizing himself for absolutely no reason. Its not even a matter of debate, since he doesn't actually listen to any feedback, and just continues spewing his ignorance.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:21 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,327 times
Quote:
I know for a fact that Toronto is not within 2 hours drive to anywhere in the US, when you account for the gas cost, time spent at the customs, it is usually not worthwhile.
The New York State Border is only 90 minutes drive from Toronto in good traffic.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
The New York State Border is only 90 minutes drive from Toronto in good traffic.
you need to cross the US customs and then drive to the stores in order to make any purchases right? You can't buy staff right at the border line before entering the country.
I don't think you will be able to do that within 2.5 hours from the minute you start your car in Toronto. Almost impossible. More likely 3 hours+

Old 11-05-2013, 01:32 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
Botticelli is still here with his anti-Canada tirade? I haven't been on this site in a year, so I'm shocked to see that he hasn'tbeen banned. Virtually every Canada/Toronto related thread has him antagonizing himself for absolutely no reason. Its not even a matter of debate, since he doesn't actually listen to any feedback, and just continues spewing his ignorance.
Hey, isn't that sort of like you and Quebec, mon ami?

Old 11-05-2013, 02:05 PM

I am not anti-Canada. I am just against all those "Canada is so superior to the USA" kind of claims, never could refrain from arguing about it. Nobody is eligible to make such stupid claims unless he has lived in both countries for significant amount of time.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:

Real property does not typically lose value, American homes lost value because they have a virtually unregulated financial sector and that isn't the case in Canada. The recession in Canada was very mild compared to the states.

Yes, but that is the case in every country. I don't know how much of the median wealth is tied up into real estate, but it is still better to be worth $80K than $38K.

Real estate doesn't typically lose value? Are you sure? Look at Japan, or Hong Kong, or Spain, or Ireland, if you think US is such an atypical case. Real estate losing 50-70% of its value is not rare.

If one believes Canadians are richer than Americans due to highly inflated housing price, he needs to agree that those residents in major Chinese cities are a lot richer than Canadians too. In Beijing and Shanghai, an old 900sf two bedroom apartment with zero amenities is worth $700,000, three bedroom which are most popular are normally over $1 million. Real estate doesn't make you rich unless you don't need to live in it.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:07 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
I am not anti-Canada. I am just against all those "Canada is so superior to the USA" kind of claims, never could refrain from arguing about it. Nobody is eligible to make such stupid claims unless he has lived in both countries for significant amount of time.
Yay I'm eligible to make stupid claims!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada