Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 11:42 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Well from what I've read, northern Quebec, where all that power is generated from hydro-electric plants, would not be part of Quebec post separation. Quebec would return to its former size clustered just around the St. Lawrence River. Even economic powerhouse Montreal wouldn't be included.[/url]

So, Quebec wouldn't even be able to supply its own power, timber, etc...

Very bad idea overall I would think.
It's rather naive to assume that Quebec's post-separation political boundaries would be anything but the result of actual negotiations between Canada and the newly independent state, the outcome of which is anything but speculation at this point. That map is clearly the fantasy of someone with an agenda, and if it is an outcome prediction, it is as credible as some pure laine lunatic who would claim Quebec could leave 'as is' without having to pay its share of federal debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 04:47 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,185 times
Partitioned Montreal, LOL!

Old 03-05-2015, 06:36 PM

156 posts, read 200,298 times
They would probably be very similar. The end of the world scenarios trying to scare Quebeckers are actually hilarious.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:45 AM

428 posts, read 450,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
It's rather naive to assume that Quebec's post-separation political boundaries would be anything but the result of actual negotiations between Canada and the newly independent state, the outcome of which is anything but speculation at this point. That map is clearly the fantasy of someone with an agenda, and if it is an outcome prediction, it is as credible as some pure laine lunatic who would claim Quebec could leave 'as is' without having to pay its share of federal debt.
Yea, I don't know why there are so many fire and brimstone predictions for Quebec. Logically the economy would be relatively similar to what we see today. The worst place would be Gatineau where so many people have government jobs. But for all we know, some of them would still work in Ottawa, depending on how the break up plays out.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:31 PM

170 posts, read 182,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Yea, I don't know why there are so many fire and brimstone predictions for Quebec. Logically the economy would be relatively similar to what we see today. The worst place would be Gatineau where so many people have government jobs. But for all we know, some of them would still work in Ottawa, depending on how the break up plays out.
Personally I estimate Quebec will do much better economically on it's own than as a part of Toronto-centric Canada. Montreal will become the jewel of an independent country and worries of separation will no longer scare away businesses and investment. Economically separation will bring Quebec out of the abyss it is sliding deeper and deeper into and bring things to a head.

But that's just the opinion of a guy with a bachelor's degree in economics.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:20 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post
Personally I estimate Quebec will do much better economically on it's own than as a part of Toronto-centric Canada. Montreal will become the jewel of an independent country and worries of separation will no longer scare away businesses and investment. Economically separation will bring Quebec out of the abyss it is sliding deeper and deeper into and bring things to a head.

But that's just the opinion of a guy with a bachelor's degree in economics.
lol

Old 03-10-2015, 09:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post

That makes at least two of us that see Quebec separation as its best course of action.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:41 AM

428 posts, read 450,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
That makes at least two of us that see Quebec separation as its best course of action.
Me three. I don't want it to be the best course of action, but having grown up on the both sides of the fence, I know it's going to happen anyways. Might as well stop dragging our feet.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:26 AM

242 posts, read 242,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
lol
Share your vast expanse of knowledge M. Boston. Why exactly do you feel that it is Quebec doing worse economically as a sovereign country? I find it to be fear mongering.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:35 PM

170 posts, read 182,338 times
I would also be interested in Bostonkid's assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada