Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:37 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Why not? It will be used to help the poor!
Wouldn't that be nice, if it were true.....guaranteed the poor would never see any of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 09:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Maybe after politics he can put a band together with other ex politicians.

.Prime Minister Stephen Harper sings Jumping Jack Flash by The Rolling Stones - YouTube

Canadian Prime Minister Harper does THE WHO'S The Seeker - YouTube

Stephen Harper sings Beatles song with Yo Yo Ma - YouTube

Old 12-03-2013, 09:54 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
healthcare should be reformed but not privatized. There are too many costly loopholes. For example, did you know that many people go to those massage salons, pay $20 for get a $100 invoice and get reimbursed from the government?

less union doesn't mean minimum wage. Stop being so dramatic about all the big evil corporations. Without them, most of us don't even have a job. And if minimum wage is what the market offers, sorry, that means your skills are worth only that much.
I think that when Canadians go for any visits with health professionals (doctors especially) they should recieve a copy of the bill that the MSP is getting. I've always thought how easy it would be for them to charge whatever they want....You could go in for a 2 min appointment, and they could send a bill to gov for a physical...the patient would never know, cause they don't get one.
Less union absolutely DOES mean less, and minimum wage...If the corporations so big, could it be that they made it off the backs of the poor minimum wage earners?..Welfare provides better than some wages do.
It has nothing to do with whether "your skills are only worth so much" and everything to do with ...you're not in a union so don't whine...take what you get..theirs people standing in line for your job, and we don't really give a rats ass whether you like it or not, nor whether you can survive on the very poor wages you make or not....suck it up, that's how it is for non union workers.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:02 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well, I'd have to say that it's way out there beyond the realm of any possibility at all. Here we have a PM who was known for his micromanagement of every aspect of his office and his party. Remember the Helen Gurgis kerfuffle? In that case he kicked an elected member of parliament out of caucus over NOTHING. No, Harper's in this up to the neck and now the Mounties are right into the PMO his very best option IMO is to resign forthwith. That would be the best thing for the country and for his party but since when does King Steve care about that?
Gosh darn, you've got it bad for Harper. The guy is no more arrogant or insular than ANY of the others, especially Trudeau. It goes with the territory. I don't want a touchy feely friend in the office of PM. I want someone with a backbone.

Am I less than pleased with the perceived toadyism towards the U.S. ~ Yes, but he has to tread a very fine line towards maintaining our identity AND maintaining trade without complications. We all know how the U.S. can throw up roadblocks upon any whim from our experience with everything from beef through softwood to Keystone. Having to kiss Amurikan azz is something even Mulroney knew very well was necessary to grease the halls of the corrupt in D.C.

Am I pleased with a renewed interest in our military effectiveness ~ Yes. I also am chagrined at the way our vets are being treated simultaneously to the Con's claiming to honour their sacrifice.

Flaherty's insistence everything is rosey with our economy might have flown 5 years ago but today news that the buck is going to sag to around the 90 cent mark relative to an American dollar bolstered by an economy that sees them trillions in debt and their debt rating at less than optimal, as pegged by at least two of the leading raters while Canada's is still A+, has me wondering what the hell is going on?

Michael Chong fostering this bill has me wondering, as he is from our riding and to the best of my knowledge the guy hasn't had an original thought since taking office so I leave it to you to decide if Harper is behind another conspiracy or the back benchers are simply fed up and putting their collective heads together asserting some push-back.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:57 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Gosh darn, you've got it bad for Harper. The guy is no more arrogant or insular than ANY of the others, especially Trudeau. It goes with the territory. I don't want a touchy feely friend in the office of PM. I want someone with a backbone.

Am I less than pleased with the perceived toadyism towards the U.S. ~ Yes, but he has to tread a very fine line towards maintaining our identity AND maintaining trade without complications. We all know how the U.S. can throw up roadblocks upon any whim from our experience with everything from beef through softwood to Keystone. Having to kiss Amurikan azz is something even Mulroney knew very well was necessary to grease the halls of the corrupt in D.C.

Am I pleased with a renewed interest in our military effectiveness ~ Yes. I also am chagrined at the way our vets are being treated simultaneously to the Con's claiming to honour their sacrifice.

Flaherty's insistence everything is rosey with our economy might have flown 5 years ago but today news that the buck is going to sag to around the 90 cent mark relative to an American dollar bolstered by an economy that sees them trillions in debt and their debt rating at less than optimal, as pegged by at least two of the leading raters while Canada's is still A+, has me wondering what the hell is going on?

Michael Chong fostering this bill has me wondering, as he is from our riding and to the best of my knowledge the guy hasn't had an original thought since taking office so I leave it to you to decide if Harper is behind another conspiracy or the back benchers are simply fed up and putting their collective heads together asserting some push-back.
You are correct that really dislike our PM. I don't like his contempt for parliament, {recall the speaker found the government guilty of this}. I really don't like his political shenanigans that mirror those of the GOP almost exactly and I don't dislike the GOP, I abhor them. I really don't have anything against intelligent conservatism and am like most Canadians pretty close to the center. Harper though, is right out there in rightwingyitis land. Half his henchmen are former Mike Harrisites and after they thoroughly ruined Ontario they moved on to Ottawa where they are doing the same thing to the entire country. I don't like his horrible environmental policies, his foreign policies have ruined Canada's reputation in the world and rightly so, his economic policies are just another version of the trickle down theory that has screwed the USA, He and his government don't think they are bound in any way by our constitution and abuse it whenever they can, his ideas on justice reform are like a blueprint from Texas where after decades they are realizing NOW that these ideas are failures and don't work in any manner. His relations with the provinces is causing more and more regionalism and animosity towards the central idea of a united Canada.

I don't like his attitude towards the Canadian people and he treats us like we are really stupid. I could go on and on but lets just say I like Rob Ford better than I like Harper.

PS, Our economy is way better off when the Canadian dollar is .90USD or lower.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:09 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
You are correct that really dislike our PM. I don't like his contempt for parliament, {recall the speaker found the government guilty of this}. I really don't like his political shenanigans that mirror those of the GOP almost exactly and I don't dislike the GOP, I abhor them. I really don't have anything against intelligent conservatism and am like most Canadians pretty close to the center. Harper though, is right out there in rightwingyitis land. Half his henchmen are former Mike Harrisites and after they thoroughly ruined Ontario they moved on to Ottawa where they are doing the same thing to the entire country. I don't like his horrible environmental policies, his foreign policies have ruined Canada's reputation in the world and rightly so, his economic policies are just another version of the trickle down theory that has screwed the USA, He and his government don't think they are bound in any way by our constitution and abuse it whenever they can, his ideas on justice reform are like a blueprint from Texas where after decades they are realizing NOW that these ideas are failures and don't work in any manner. His relations with the provinces is causing more and more regionalism and animosity towards the central idea of a united Canada.

I don't like his attitude towards the Canadian people and he treats us like we are really stupid. I could go on and on but lets just say I like Rob Ford better than I like Harper.

I will not disagree with anything you've responded except to say Canada's economy at .90C relative, makes for good export sales but not for good retirement fun anywhere the U.S. dollar is pre-eminent. That's my personal greed kicking in.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:24 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,033 times
Quote:
why do canadian have such a big problem with big corporations? If a company can legally evade taxes, then there is nothing wrong with it. Imagine you can transfer 50% of your income to an offshore account to avoid thousands of dollars of taxes, wouldn't you do exactly the same??

A large corporation is as evil and greedy as a single mother making $30K a year with 2 kids. People if allowed, will always maximize their income and minimize taxes. We are all the same. The endless big corporation bashing is stupid.

If you are so noble, why not pay $1000 more than what you owe to CRA every year? Why not? It will be used to help the poor!
If it's legal, it's legal. I'm not talking about what's legal. I am talking about the people and corporations doing illegal stuff to avoid taxes. I should know, I was an accountant in another life.

If the CRA wants to recuperate money from some of those, they have a choice. They can put together an audit team consisting of anyone with a pulse and send them after single mothers who claim false medical expenses on their tax return. It's an easy job -- that's why all you need is a pulse -- and they'll get some results. Or they can put together an audit team with people who understand economics and send them after large companies with bogus transfer pricing policies and/or fake offshore subsidiaries. It's harder to find the people, harder to prosecute those at fault, and will cost more in professional/counsel fees, but in the end it would yield the CRA a lot more money.

By the way, "you'd do that if you could" is probably the stupidest reason not to prosecute corporations with questionable practices. In my case, it's also not true.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:30 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
Quote:
It's just amazing how such a nonissue really can balloon into a major political crisis when the main actors refuse to tell the truth about it. Harper and company have been their own worst enemies throughout the entire controversy. I'm thinking that Duffy must have had some pretty damning info on the government or why, why, why would they not just let him hang out to day right off the bat.
I never really like Harper to begin with, but I am absolutely terrified with what is waiting in the wings to replace him. Why can't a Canadian political party elect a dynamic leader that will actually do something to represent MY interest?

Old 12-06-2013, 11:36 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:

Exchange rate is determined by market demand and supply, and the government should just leave it alone unless obvious speculation is in play. Empirical evidence shows that artificially low exchange rate only benefit export in the short run.

It is pretty low for an advanced economy to expect low currency rate for higher export. What needs to be reduced is wage. Germany did a good job containing wage increase compared with Italy for example which gives it a big advantage.

Plus our economy should stop exporting 80% of the stuff to one country. It is not sustainable.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:04 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I never really like Harper to begin with, but I am absolutely terrified with what is waiting in the wings to replace him. Why can't a Canadian political party elect a dynamic leader that will actually do something to represent MY interest?
I think we ought to give the NDP a chance. They can't possibly be worse than the libs or the cons!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada