Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 11:17 AM

71 posts, read 48,068 times

Advertisements

Is Canada especially English speaking Canada like Ontario practically a US vassal state?

They consume all US made cultural products and refer to the US and Canada together almost like they are the same entity.

Also English Canadian government generally relies on the US government for support and guidance and it is expected like matter of fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 11:28 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
I would disagree that Canada as a whole or any part of Canada (Anglo-Canada, or any province) is a vassal state of the US.

Canadians make their own decisions about things and these are often very different from the decisions Americans would make for themselves or even that Americans wish Canada would make.

What we see in much of Canada vis-à-vis the US is best described as "acculturation" but this is more willingly pursued by Canadians (think of the "shiny object" factor) as opposed to anything that the Americans are imposing on their neighbours. Though we have to admit the Americans are darned good snake oil salesmen...

Old 08-09-2019, 12:12 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailfo2 View Post
Is Canada especially English speaking Canada like Ontario practically a US vassal state?

They consume all US made cultural products and refer to the US and Canada together almost like they are the same entity.

Also English Canadian government generally relies on the US government for support and guidance and it is expected like matter of fact.
And Quebec doesnt avail itself equally of everything America has to offer?
like Fast food joints,big box stores, American Autos,petroleum outlets, American movies and music,vacation destinations etc. I guess if Canada is a vassal state to the USA then Quebec is also a vassal state to not only the USA but to Canada as well.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:05 PM

542 posts, read 502,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailfo2 View Post

Yeah, pretty much. Not officially but Canada acts like one. There isn't even a reason to try making it official.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:14 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
And Quebec doesnt avail itself equally of everything America has to offer?
like Fast food joints,big box stores, American Autos,petroleum outlets, American movies and music,vacation destinations etc. I guess if Canada is a vassal state to the USA then Quebec is also a vassal state to not only the USA but to Canada as well.
Yeah I find it curious how some Quebecers in here seem to want to portray the more of a distance they are from the U.S cultural juggernaut at the expense of English Canadians, yet many of the things you rightly mentioned QC is awash with. It is like saying you are 65 percent accultured and we are only 60 percent so we are not and you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I would disagree that Canada as a whole or any part of Canada (Anglo-Canada, or any province) is a vassal state of the US.

Canadians make their own decisions about things and these are often very different from the decisions Americans would make for themselves or even that Americans wish Canada would make.

What we see in much of Canada vis-à-vis the US is best described as "acculturation" but this is more willingly pursued by Canadians (think of the "shiny object" factor) as opposed to anything that the Americans are imposing on their neighbours. Though we have to admit the Americans are darned good snake oil salesmen...
I would agree with this, but there are some things that we simply are not enamoured with about the U.S and it is very clear in terms of our values. Healthcare, gun control, Donald Trump etc.

Hey I was in West Virginia last weekend and there was a Tim Hortons Drive thru outside Parkerburg WV - imagine that AJ! They didn't honour my rewards card with my coffee though. Notice I spelled honour with a U - proudly Canadian!!!

Last edited by fusion2; 08-09-2019 at 08:10 PM..

Old 08-10-2019, 02:15 PM

82 posts, read 71,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

I would agree with this, but there are some things that we simply are not enamoured with about the U.S and it is very clear in terms of our values. Healthcare, gun control, Donald Trump etc.
Please stop lecturing us on what are values are supposed to be. My values are very different from yours.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Manners View Post
Please stop lecturing us on what are [sic] values are supposed to be. My values are very different from yours.
He was talking about Canadian values compared to American ones. So, yes, guns and healthcare are two that stand out.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:23 PM

82 posts, read 71,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
He was talking about Canadian values compared to American ones. So, yes, guns and healthcare are two that stand out.
I'm not Canadian, I'm Québecois.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:30 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Manners View Post
I'm not Canadian, I'm Québecois.
Do you have a passport?

Old 08-10-2019, 04:07 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Do you have a passport?
There were attempts in Quebec to make a Quebecois passports available. If I remember correctly Bouchard was pushing for this in the late 90s.

Would you ask a first nations person that says they are not Canadian if they had a passport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada