Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 03:10 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Unions give people the wages they deserve. I don't understand this new neoliberal-type conservatism. (If you can even call it conservatism)
Unions may give people the wages they deserve, but they also keep people who don't deserve the wage in the job. I don't begrudge anyone getting paid. In my experience unions work to drive the performance down to the lowest common level, and a union's sole interest is in having as many members as possible, not helping the business, and therefore the employees, thrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 11:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
There will still be delivery to your postal address, but it will no longer be to your front door. You might have to walk 50 or 100 meters to a cluster of boxes where they put it. What's the big deal?

This is nothing new. When I lived in New Brunswick in 1963, there was no mail delivery to any house in my town, I had to stop at the post office (in a lady's front porch) and pick it up when I drove past.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:44 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Is this a common sight at Canadian cluster boxes? Junk mail strewn all over the place?

http://www.savethepostoffice.com/sit...PM-540x300.jpg

Old 12-16-2013, 05:39 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
I have to drive 17 km on gravel roads (one way) to get my mail. That is a 30 minute round trip in good weather.

The generation gap is clearly visible in our attitudes towards mail. As someone born in the 1980s, I hate mail. I hate having to deal with anything important on paper. I prefer to do everything online - banking, paying taxes, paying bills, etc.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:58 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Is this a common sight at Canadian cluster boxes? Junk mail strewn all over the place?

http://www.savethepostoffice.com/sit...PM-540x300.jpg
I've never seen junk in front of one of those boxes, actually.

This is complete news to me. I had no idea people actually had mail delivered straight to their door, saving newspapers. Honestly, I'd prefer if everyone would just do their stuff online now. We have the technology and there isn't a need to waste all these resources just for physical copies. My brother gets a pay stub mailed to him every week for a job he quit a month ago. Why? It's so so taxing, just email crap like that.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:16 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times

Bit of humor eh!

Canada Post has created a new stamp with a picture of Quebec's first female premier, Pauline Marois on it. The stamp is not sticking to envelopes. This has enraged the P.Q., who demanded a full investigation. After a month of testing and spending $4.1 million, a special commission has presented the following findings:

1. The stamp is in perfect order.
2. There is nothing wrong with the adhesive.
3. The Public is spitting on the wrong side of the stamp. :-)

Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

Bit of humor eh!

Canada Post has created a new stamp with a picture of Quebec's first female premier, Pauline Marois on it. The stamp is not sticking to envelopes. This has enraged the P.Q., who demanded a full investigation. After a month of testing and spending $4.1 million, a special commission has presented the following findings:

That's golden!

Old 12-17-2013, 03:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
What's a Mail? is it anything like E-Mail?

Old 12-17-2013, 09:05 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

Bit of humor eh!

Good one.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:57 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I've never seen junk in front of one of those boxes, actually.
I have, a few times, but it's been rare. When I lived in a neighbourhood where Superboxes were the mail-delivery method, I (and pretty much all the neighbours) took the junk mail and flyers home to toss in the recycling bin.

I have seen a recycling bin next to a Superbox, but I don't think that was Canada Post's doing--more likely a local homeowner who took the initiative to avoid such scenes as in the posted photo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada