Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 01:35 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,223 times

Advertisements

In the USA, most people think of only people of East Asian descent such as Chinese and Japanese origins. Even though the definition is getting more inclusive to include South Asians, like those of Indian or Pakistani descent, many people still don't describe them as "Asian" without qualification. Even more rare is that Middle Eastern descended people, despite potentially having origins in West Asia (eg. Syria, Iran) or North Africa (eg. Libya, Egypt) ever get called Asian- or African- American.

Is this different in Canada? Wikipedia (or at least one line in it) claims "In Canada, the term 'Asian' is pan-continental, in contrast to its usage in other English-speaking countries."

Asian Canadian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I saw on Wikipedia and other sources, in contrast to American statistics on ethnic origins for various cities or states which only put "Asian", Canadians have more diverse categories like West Asian, Arab, South Asian, Chinese etc. Are Canadians more "wordly" and geographically savvy and thus use a more inclusive definition?

Is Canadian media different than American media is this regard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 07:52 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Words like Oriental, East Indian, etc... I had never thought these words would be potentially offensive. In my opinion, it's much more offensive to claim the world's largest continent as only encompassing the Far East. I would never want to offend someone, but I don't like that.

Last edited by pdw; 12-14-2013 at 08:06 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 08:11 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
In my understandings, Asians typically refer to Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, as well as southeast Asians such as Vietnamese, Thais, Laos etc.

Asians don't include south Asians such as Indians and middle easterners such as Iranians. They are more like Caucasians than Asians to me. They don't look like East Asians nor share similar culture.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Words like Oriental, East Indian, etc... I had never thought these words would be potentially offensive. In my opinion, it's much more offensive to claim the world's largest continent as only encompassing the Far East. I would never want to offend someone, but I don't like that.
What is offensive? the very term "Far East". What the heck is "far east", from what? Is Europe the center of the world? Asians might call France and Italy "far west".

Plus, it is stupid for North Americans to call East Asia "Far east", where do you think you are, The UK? Asia is more like to the west of America. When someone flies to China or Japan from anywhere in North America, he flies to the west across the pacific, not to the east to reach "far east".

Stop this stupid terminology.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:17 PM

47 posts, read 70,480 times
When someone mentions "Asians" without qualifiers, I do think of East Asia/the Far East. But if someone says "South Asians," I think of Indians. If they say "West Asians," I think of people from the Middle East.

I don't know whether people in Canada make the default assumption that "Asian" without qualifiers means East Asia, but Americans do.

But people in both countries know what is meant if you specify a geographical region of Asia.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy1988 View Post
When someone mentions "Asians" without qualifiers, I do think of East Asia/the Far East. But if someone says "South Asians," I think of Indians. If they say "West Asians," I think of people from the Middle East.

I don't know whether people in Canada make the default assumption that "Asian" without qualifiers means East Asia, but Americans do.

But people in both countries know what is meant if you specify a geographical region of Asia.
so if someone's profile says "Asian†in race, you consider it possible that he is a white Lebanese/Iranian with all the Caucasian bone structure, the body hair etc?

Old 12-14-2013, 09:06 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
What is offensive? the very term "Far East". What the heck is "far east", from what? Is Europe the center of the world? Asians might call France and Italy "far west".

Plus, it is stupid for North Americans to call East Asia "Far east", where do you think you are, The UK? Asia is more like to the west of America. When someone flies to China or Japan from anywhere in North America, he flies to the west across the pacific, not to the east to reach "far east".

Stop this stupid terminology.
Most maps use the standard system of longitude. Even if you go West to get to China or Japan, they're still geographically East. It's also the easternmost part of the world's largest landmass, where 85% of the world's population lives.

Last edited by pdw; 12-14-2013 at 09:47 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 09:19 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy1988 View Post

Many Latin Americans are offended by the use of the word "Americans" to apply only to citizens of the USA. In a textbook they always use Estadounidenses.

The word "Asia"as used in ancient times originally referred to roughly modern day Turkey. The United Nations refers to East, South-Eastern, South-Central, and Western Asia. If you want to use the least offensive terms, then use these four designations.

Terms like "Middle East" and "Oriental" while not directly offensive, are perceived as implying that Europe is the center of the world, and everything else is in relation to Europe. East Asian implies the eastern part of Asia, where Oriental implies to the east of Europe.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:47 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
As someone from India, I don't like being called East Indian. It's redundant. There is only one Indian - the ones from India. An East Indian to me is someone from eastern India, but try explaining that here. Call me an Indian, or an Asian, or best of all, a world citizen.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Most maps use the standard system of longitude. Even if you go West to get to China or Japan, they're still geographically East. It's also the easternmost part of the world's largest landmass, where 85% of the world's population lives.
sure, if that's the case, have you ever heard France and Spain being called the "far west"? They are geographically the western most part of the continent, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada