Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 01:35 PM

21 posts, read 33,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Yes, that is the same conclusion I came to. I was paying for the actions of other men of my race. What's unfair is that if a white guy is being a jerk, it doesn't impact the dateability of another, unrelated white guy. What these women don't seem to understand is that there are about half a billion Indian men. Of course some of them will be jerks.

I haven't been to Montreal but I've heard that too. I think that's a Latin vs Anglo-Saxon thing. People of Latin descent are generally more fixated on culture and language than on race. I really liked Barcelona for this reason - I stood out only because I barely spoke any Spanish. Otherwise, I felt so much more accepted there (I even had a Spanish chick flirt with me), as opposed to my own city of Saskatoon where I'm fluent in the language and have lived for ten years. That should tell you something.
There is a difference between Montreal and Barcelona,Ontreal is french,they are snobbish and do not like any body ,they think they are above every one,Barcelona is Spanish ,they are always loving and king and welcoming.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 11:52 AM

361 posts, read 837,179 times
Best think for an Asian men is to go to a city where the asian population is low and asian men are exotic.
In South Florida for instance, there no stereotype at all toward asian men and they mostly hang out with other races.
I found it harder in Canada too to assimilate because people dont expect you to assimilate.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:19 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,036 times
I don't doubt that some people are genuinely racist, but when I see people who incessantly rag on white women-I can't help but wonder if they're just undesirable personalities and are blaming their troubles on others

Old 03-18-2014, 02:39 AM

4 posts, read 12,824 times
There are very few Asians living in Quebec, so you can imagine the situation of Asians there.

Another best thing for ABC or CBC men is to goto Asia where western raised asian are exotic.
Quote:
Best thing for an Asian men is to go to a city where the asian population is low and asian men are exotic.
In South Florida for instance, there no stereotype at all toward asian men and they mostly hang out with other races.
I found it harder in Canada too to assimilate because people dont expect you to assimilate

Old 03-18-2014, 02:50 AM

360 posts, read 982,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attractively Ambigious View Post
I am a White male so I have no dog in this fight but over the years I have been around a lot of Asian men, particularly Chinese, Korean, and Indian. Most of my life experience was spent in the United States (various states) but in the past years I have had a chance to go to Canada.

My friends and I used to work as dating coaches and help younger gentlemen meet women and improve their dating lives. When we were in Toronto we noticed a troubling trend and one that many other people learned to find out, we were getting an excessive amount of Asian men seeking dating coaches and even a higher number that expressed their feelings about being rejected for their race.

I would come to find out over the years that Asian men actually face some negative stereotypes in Western Society but I found that in places like the West Coast of the USA and NYC, there were plenty of Asian men dating White women. Now I know some of you will get angry and say "well why can't they stick to their own kind or date women of other races, why does it have to be White women" but I will talk about something else here.

Another thing that a lot of Asian men told me is that most Asian girls born and raised in Canada prefer not to go for Asian men and plus in my opinion it is always good to have options, I personally think an attractive male that is Asian, Westernized, and has a lot going for him should be able to date any race of women including White women.

My experience with Canada comes mainly from Toronto and Vancouver, I have never been to Montreal. I found that in both cities where there were sizable numbers of Asian and White people, you saw plenty of White males with Asian females but you never saw it the other way around. I saw more Black males with White females despite there being a lot less Black males than Asian males there and I mean a lot less.

I know assimilation can mean learning the culture of a given place and behaving like the people there but the ability to date and marry a native person of that country (in this case a White Canadian) is also important. It seemed like to me there was some underlying racism towards Asian males in Canada which was much worse than that found in the USA.
Is Canada generally a country where it is very difficult to Asian males to assimilate into Canadian society?
As an Asian male currently in Canada, I can personally attest to this.

Seems to me that racism (towards Asian males) whether in the dating aspect or not are rather subtly expressed in Canada. People especially the whites may tolerate our presence but they don't necessarily want to mingle, hang out with or consider us as dating material.

It is just the feeling that I got from my experience with white people here.

The white friends that I mingle well with here are mostly Europeans who come from Europe (like Spanish and Germans). Not sure if it's just me but seems like the Europeans are more open to mingling with Asian males than white Canadians do.

Last edited by fellowjoe; 03-18-2014 at 02:59 AM..

Old 03-18-2014, 02:55 AM

4 posts, read 12,824 times
If waves like Korean wave were very successful in North America, a lot of people would have fall for Asian men. For the time being, in North America, Asians men are regarded as the good model minority type and still not trendy enough. Japanese men are better known for their cartoons and video games than any other things. Chinese being associated with communism and a developing country. Indian associated with third world etc.

In Asia, Koreans, both women and men, are well regarded as trendy and good-looking due to the Korean wave.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:11 AM

360 posts, read 982,353 times
I think the subtle racism here also has to do with perception of differences between the Asian and white personality.

Women (whether Asian or white) are more drawn to confident men.

If you put a white man and Asian man side by side, chances are that the white man would dominate the conversation. This is probably because of the typical Asian culture of being reserved (so as to save face) as opposed to that of the white culture of being opinionated.

Following this logic, it makes sense for women to prefer white men.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:31 AM

61 posts, read 227,673 times
I'm from Vancouver and a lot of my friends (all my friends are Asian ) pick up white girls from cactus club, fitness world, etc. and are successful. A few actually date them seriously instead of just a "fling" but we do sometimes have that "white girls don't like Asian guys" mentality in certain situations.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,043 times
Default find your niche!

Here's a whole group of women who love Asian guys and I know 15 or so women off the top of my head that date Asian men. The key is to find the right nniche for you (BTW that place for women who live Asian guys is here : heyamwf.com)

Old 08-27-2014, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,832 times
A friend of mine pointed me to this discussion and wanted me to relay my experience.

I'm currently residing in VAncouver, BC (4 years) but have lived till my 20s in the Philippines and have lived in Spain (6 months), LA (3 years), and NY (2 years).

It's weird. I was considered pretty exotic in Spain and among Europeans. I did date a senorita (I can speak basic Castillan Spanish) during my stay there. Wonderful girl!

In LA, I wasn't getting much attention. I did date a blonde there though. LOng story short, we stopped dating after 6 months. She couldn't take the snide remarks she was getting from people. Whenever we were at bars some dude would just walk to her (she's pretty hot) and ask what the hell did she see in a guy like me?

In NYC, I seem to be attracting the European types.

Now that I'm in Vancouver, it seems like Asian women are not interested in me at all. All I'm getting are mostly European ones (Ukrainian, British, POlish) and the local Canadian caucasians. It seems like Asian women have alienated me.

Anyway, just sharing my experience. Hope I didn't offend anyone. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada