Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:48 AM

681 posts, read 1,554,948 times

Advertisements

I own a vacation property in the Phoenix area and travel there 6-8 times a year. Here are the things that *somewhat surprised me:

I was expecting people to be LESS friendly than they actually are. Canadians have a reputation of being polite and friendly, but my neighbors and the strangers I meet in Phoenix are actually MUCH more friendly and polite than the typical Canadian.

I was expecting more of a Red Neck attitude (gun culture, maybe some racism?)... which is funny because I live in AB.... didn't find this to be true AT ALL (well except for the fact that most people do own guns and Sherrif Joe is... well... Sherrif Joe). I see many inter-racial couples when I'm there and don't see a lot of gun racks in vehicles. Montana and Idaho on the other hand.... Yikes.

I knew to expect the heat in the summer... but until I spent a week there in mid-July I could never have imagined what it would feel like. Rolling down the windows in a fast moving vehicle feels like having a blow dryer on the HOTTEST setting blowing on your face. LOL. I would still rather deal with the heat though than the -30 degrees we get here in winter.

I LOVE Arizona and can't wait until I retire and can spend my 6 months minus a few days every year there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 01:11 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,184,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
Not enviable in the summer, LOL.

Over 100F everyday gets old fast.
It is NOT over 100 everyday in all of AZ, only in very limited protions of the state.

It is hot in most places in AZ but not that hot.

Funny I absolutely LOVE summer here!

Old 01-18-2014, 01:15 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,184,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post
I was expecting people to be LESS friendly than they actually are. Canadians have a reputation of being polite and friendly, but my neighbors and the strangers I meet in Phoenix are actually MUCH more friendly and polite than the typical Canadian.

Sherrif Joe is... well... Sherrif Joe).

I would still rather deal with the heat though than the -30 degrees we get here in winter.
YES, the people here are WAY friendlier than the typical Canadian (and I'm Canadian).

I don't like Sherrif Joe, in some ways he's no better than some of the criminals he's responsible for.

Yup, the heat is better for me than the cold.

If you love cold weather, you won't like AZ but for those who like the heat, it's fabulous!

Old 01-18-2014, 01:24 PM

18,494 posts, read 15,380,201 times
I've been to Arizona and thought it beautiful in it's own way. I do love the heat, but prefer somewhere near the ocean, so I haven't been back.
The people seemed nice enough.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:26 AM

4,057 posts, read 5,080,474 times
Well unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) our politicians do not represent the majority in the Phoenix Metro area...some of our best Governors were Democrats. I won't even try and defend some of Sheriff Joe's actions...the problem is Arizona usually only has about a 30% voter turnout so the extremists get their way most of the time. I would disagree that it is more Tea Party type of outlook as much as either an Independent voter or Libertarian viewpoint.

To the question of race and inter-racial couples...and having lived in this state for over 25 years...I think that most people in AZ would judge you on your actions and income than the color of your skin. Most people don't care and if they do...they are easy enough to ignore.

Again thanks for the feedback.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:38 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,212,555 times
This is why AZ gets a bad rap;

Arizona's Republican Party Censures John McCain For Being Too Liberal

And the Governor refusing to shake Obama's hand

And the "prove you're a citizen" laws that are the new Jim Crow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada