Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 08:21 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Minnesota, N.D., Montana and Maine sound most Canadian to my ears.
Are you seriously saying you believe a Minnesota accent and a Maine accent to sound alike and therefore "Canadian"?

There's a huge difference especially in the flattening of R sounds to more of an AH pronunciation.

For example, a person from Maine would say they are a Maine-ah rather than a Maine-er.

To try and make a case that there is one Canadian accent is as ridiculous as saying there is one "American" accent.

Using professional speakers who've likely had speech training to identify accents is like believing everyone in Britain speaks like the bloke doing the BBC news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 07:31 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
How rhotic is New England overall these days? I know the Boston accent has declined, not sure about the rest of New England.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:45 AM

257 posts, read 1,444,773 times
Watch a canadian tv show like degrassi(shown on american tv) and then watch an american one like i the suite life of zack and cody (both younger shows)...you'll notice.....

Old 02-24-2009, 06:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellabella View Post
Watch a canadian tv show like degrassi(shown on american tv) and then watch an american one like i the suite life of zack and cody (both younger shows)...you'll notice.....
Many of the kids shows we got when I was growing up were Canadian, but I never picked up the differences at the time. Now I can though.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:13 PM

252 posts, read 960,568 times
To my ears (I'm from the Pacific Northwest of the US), Vancouver accents sound more or less the same as a Seattle accent or a Portland accent, which makes sense, given their proximity.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:00 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,414 times
For what it's worth, I was speaking to a woman from Indiana yesterday over the phone, and after a while she asked if I was in California. When I responded, "No, but just north of there, in Vancouver Canada", she then asked if I was actually Canadian, to which I said yes. She then said, "Oh... well, if the economy here doesn't pick up, I think I might be moving to Canada!"

I imagine my accent gave away that I wasn't from Indiana, but she probably didn't recognize my accent as being what she thought the supposed Canadian accent to sound like. So I guess you can say Vancouver's "accent" is just a part of the Pacific North American accent.

Later on in the day I spoke with a guy from Beverly Hills and he could have been from Vancouver based on his accent. I mean, to my ears, he had no accent. I too have definitely found that Seattle-Portland and San Francisco-LA share the same accent as people from Vancouver.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:25 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,406 times
Default About Vs Aboot

I am sorry but I have to mention this. I always hear Americans say or type that we say Aboot. But I have never heard a Canadian say Aboot. We say about just like the Americans, Well Americans without an accent. I have no idea where they got the idea that we say aboot. Did they watch the Comedy channel and see a comedian say something and therefore it is true? I just don't get it can someone enlighten me on this?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:32 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,532,342 times
We listened to interviews with Alanis Morrissette. Seriously, I know it's not quite "aboot," but it's awfully close. It doesn't sound the way "Americans without accents" say it. And I work with Canadians as my employer has a Canadian parent.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:44 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times
Some Canadians pronounce is as "aboat" (not "aboot"), and some Canadians pronounce it as "about" just like most Americans do.

I say most Americans, because some Americans pronounce it as "aboat" as well, it just depends where they live.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:01 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,326 times
You really notice it here in Australia. They can tell you're Canadian when you say 'about'. Mainly because of the very distinct difference between the way Canadians say it, and Australians - ab-OW-t with a real drawl, almost like Southern Americans.

So it sounds more like aboot when Canadians say it, to the Australian's ear. Actually, I think it's more like a-bow-oot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada