Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 01:52 PM

142 posts, read 219,956 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of it. I started a thread in the general U.S thread the other day trying to dispel the silly notion that Canadians have an accent as I was compelled to do so after reading stupid misinformed Canadian accent threads where they try to make our accent seem cartoonish. I tried to explain how general Canadian barely differs from West coast or central American and every reply I got was like "No Canuck! you do have an accent, you say aboot" - seriously? the level of ignorance Americans have towards how we sounds is appalling.

The other threads where they bash our healthcare and call it "inferior" really irritates me as well. Do they get all their information about Canadians from Fox news or something? because it's way off the mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 02:11 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
To say you dont have a different accent is kind of foolish. You do. Many Canadian's do say aboot also. Its not ignorant to say either of those.

Bashing your healthcare is plain ignorant, but if theyre happy forking out $500+pm and still having to file bankruptcy if they get really sick then so be it.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
I'm tired of it. I started a thread in the general U.S thread the other day trying to dispel the silly notion that Canadians have an accent as I was compelled to do so after reading stupid misinformed Canadian accent threads where they try to make our accent seem cartoonish. I tried to explain how general Canadian barely differs from West coast or central American and every reply I got was like "No Canuck! you do have an accent, you say aboot" - seriously? the level of ignorance Americans have towards how we sounds is appalling.

The other threads where they bash our healthcare and call it "inferior" really irritates me as well. Do they get all their information about Canadians from Fox news or something? because it's way off the mark.
If someone hears an accent, they hear it. It doesn't matter what you think.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:23 PM

64 posts, read 90,600 times
I've lived in this country my whole life and I've never once heard someone say Aboot, Melk, or Eh constantly...

I never been to the Maritimes so not sure how they talk over there. I know the accent is strange though.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:26 PM

107 posts, read 201,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post

Bashing your healthcare is plain ignorant, but if theyre happy forking out $500+pm and still having to file bankruptcy if they get really sick then so be it.
Good thing Canadians never make assumptions about Americans

500pm...lol

Are you happy paying 30 or 40% more for everything then Americans pay?..with your 90 cent dollar to boot? Just think of the Good Quality healthcare you could get if you didn't get soaked everytime you went shopping.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:28 PM

64 posts, read 90,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjones1234 View Post

500pm...lol

Are you happy paying 30 or 40% more for everything then Americans pay?..with your 90 cent dollar to boot? Just think of the Good Quality healthcare you could get if you didn't get soaked everytime you went shopping.
That largely depends on the province You're in. If You live in Urban BC, Ontario, Or Quebec yeah You get 13-20% taxed on all items.

It's 5% out west. Not to mention house prices are lower. It's mostly due to Ontario and Quebec becoming have not provinces now. Well Ontario anyway. Quebec has been have not for decades now. Ontario is just starting to stumble and rust. Most degree professionals are headed out west. There is no work in Toronto, and if there is it pays horribly mostly because the Government takes a large sum of your salary.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:32 PM

142 posts, read 219,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
To say you dont have a different accent is kind of foolish. You do. Many Canadian's do say aboot also. Its not ignorant to say either of those.

Yes everyone has an accent, but standard Canadian does not deviate that far in sound from a standard American dialect. Also, no Canadian has every said "aboot" that's entirely a made up American stereotype. About rhymes with shout, not loot. Good God

We do not say "soary" or "agayn" either.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:36 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,699,116 times
I'm sorry as I love Canada & have visited 3 provinces about 8 times total but there is an accent discernible amongst some Canadians that says "I'm Canadian," just as there are some regional Ameircan accents that announce,"I'm southern" or "I'm from Chicago".
For example, recently I have been sitting at home watching television & the accent jumped out at me to the extent that I turned to my partner & said that the show was filmed with Canadian actors or came from Canada.
There is nothing wrong with that at all. Don't let those folks who were teasing you get your goat. It's not worth it.
My observation is that Americans can be jerks to Canadians & that Canadians can be jerks to Americans but fortunately, that is the case in a minority of the cross-border interaction.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:37 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I dont get the recent obsession with people questioning the Canadian accent, if there is a perceived accent at all from the American perspective its so minor a difference as to be not worth talking about/
If big accents are of interest theres much more interesting differences within America itself with the numerous Northeastern accents. The hillbilly accents,southern accents, Valley speak,Ebonics, Spanish accents,native American accents, all the immigrants accents etc
Any accent Canada might be perceived to have is kinda boring by comparison to the point where IMO Canadians dont have accents Americans do.
A short listen to the likes of Paula Dean and we are into accents...
Hard to tell at times if this girl is even speaking English
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zSm4enKiZM

Old 02-03-2014, 02:37 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjones1234 View Post

500pm...lol

30 to 40 percent? LOL...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada