Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 02:43 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times

Advertisements

Why are you so annoyed by Americans thinking Canadians have a different accent?

Seriously, why do you even think talking exactly like an American is a good thing? Why? Doesn't Canada want to distinguish itself from the US? I will be happy if every single Canadian say "aboot", what the hell is wrong with that? Are Americans upset about the British think they talk differently when saying "past" or "mobile"?

Honestly, I want a different accent from the American ones. I hope accent will evolve so much that Canadians speak a language that Americans have trouble understanding - that will be a fantastic thing, only at that time English Canada will probably start to think "maybe we should watch Canadian TV programs instead of American ones".

Have some god-damned confidence. being upset because Americans think you speak differently, for christ's sake, how lame and inferior are we? Yesterday there was so much talk about the fr*king superbowl on the media as if it is a Canadian national event. Most Canadians don't even play American football. Shameful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 02:49 PM

142 posts, read 219,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I'm sorry as I love Canada & have visited 3 provinces about 8 times total but there is an accent discernible amongst some Canadians that says "I'm Canadian," just as there are some regional Ameircan accents that announce,"I'm southern" or "I'm from Chicago".
For example, recently I have been sitting at home watching television & the accent jumped out at me to the extent that I turned to my partner & said that the show was filmed with Canadian actors or came from Canada.
There is nothing wrong with that at all. Don't let those folks who were teasing you get your goat. It's not worth it.
My observation is that Americans can be jerks to Canadians & that Canadians can be jerks to Americans but fortunately, that is the case in a minority of the cross-border interaction.
I respect your opinion, but our accent is still not nearly as different or pronounced as some American believe it to be. Also I should say accent can vary from person to person even in the same region, some people are just prone to having a stronger accent for reasons unknown.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:49 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
Yes everyone has an accent, but standard Canadian does not deviate that far in sound from a standard American dialect. Also, no Canadian has every said "aboot" that's entirely a made up American stereotype. About rhymes with shout, not loot. Good God

We do not say "soary" or "agayn" either.
Are you serious?!?!?!

What amazes me is, How Canadians can't tell or hear how different the Canadian accent really is. And why be so defensive about it, Are you really afraid or insecure about sounding different?

Old 02-03-2014, 02:57 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
The real question, Maxie, is why all of your posts over several threads reflect a desperate need to be American and seek validation from Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
It bothers me truthfully because I would prefer to have an American accent
https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ns-have-5.html

Disagreeing that Canadians have American accents and that America and Canada are the same thing are not rude assumptions, they are observations. These observations have been researched and recorded by linguistics and similarly noted by citizens of both countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_accent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_raising

If you still are not satisfied, you can get started on your American accent here: http://www.uscis.gov/

Old 02-03-2014, 03:01 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjones1234 View Post
Good thing Canadians never make assumptions about Americans

500pm...lol

Are you happy paying 30 or 40% more for everything then Americans pay?..with your 90 cent dollar to boot? Just think of the Good Quality healthcare you could get if you didn't get soaked everytime you went shopping.
Actually, we had a 105 to 110 cent dollar for quite a long time. I'm very happy about the 90 cent dollar now because part of my income is paid in USD

Old 02-03-2014, 04:37 PM

142 posts, read 219,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Are you serious?!?!?!

What amazes me is, How Canadians can't tell or hear how different the Canadian accent really is. And why be so defensive about it, Are you really afraid or insecure about sounding different?
I hear my accent perfectly clear, I know exactly what it sounds and it doesn't seem all that different from someone in the west coast United States. Almost all Canadians in Ontario have fairly Americanized accents. I don't have to be insecure about something I don't have as the stereotypical Canadian accent you're thinking of is a fabrication anyway.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:39 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Why are you so annoyed by Americans thinking Canadians have a different accent?

Seriously, why do you even think talking exactly like an American is a good thing? Why? Doesn't Canada want to distinguish itself from the US? I will be happy if every single Canadian say "aboot", what the hell is wrong with that? Are Americans upset about the British think they talk differently when saying "past" or "mobile"?

Honestly, I want a different accent from the American ones. I hope accent will evolve so much that Canadians speak a language that Americans have trouble understanding - that will be a fantastic thing, only at that time English Canada will probably start to think "maybe we should watch Canadian TV programs instead of American ones".

Have some god-damned confidence. being upset because Americans think you speak differently, for christ's sake, how lame and inferior are we? Yesterday there was so much talk about the fr*king superbowl on the media as if it is a Canadian national event. Most Canadians don't even play American football. Shameful.
LOL I don't agree with you about Mayor Ford but I do agree with this post

Old 02-03-2014, 05:23 PM

107 posts, read 201,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
30 to 40 percent? LOL...
phht my estimate is not far from the truth.

"Another, says Cran, is Bombardier's snowmobiles, which it sold for up to 40 per cent less in North Dakota than neighbouring Manitoba, and "turned handsprings to prevent Canadians from crossing the border to purchase them."

Falling loonie means just more milking of Canadian consumers: Neil Macdonald - World - CBC News

made in your own country and cheaper in the US.

Gees you guys are suckers.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:29 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjones1234 View Post
Good thing Canadians never make assumptions about Americans

500pm...lol

Are you happy paying 30 or 40% more for everything then Americans pay?..with your 90 cent dollar to boot? Just think of the Good Quality healthcare you could get if you didn't get soaked everytime you went shopping.
I am not Canadian, knor American. I live in America and pay over $500pm to cover my family. I don't know anyone with a family tthat doesnt. Id rather put my $500 towards a social health system than go broke and file bankruptcy if I get sick.

On the aboot thing, I have a Canadian friend and she says aboot frequently and she even admits it. Theres nothing wrong it like any accent. Being Irish you should here how I say three =)

Old 02-03-2014, 05:33 PM

107 posts, read 201,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Actually, we had a 105 to 110 cent dollar for quite a long time. I'm very happy about the 90 cent dollar now because part of my income is paid in USD
No you didn't, in 2011 it was above par and only above 105 a few months in the last 5 years, it hasn't been over par in almost a year. It hasn't been above 110 since the days of the hippies in the 60s .

Canadian Dollar: CURRENCY:CAD quotes & news - Google Finance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada