Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-04-2014, 06:37 AM
 
10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Reputation: 7873

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EkriirkEHere View Post
There's not just one american accent.
of course. there is southern accent, New England/Bostonian accent, california accent, midwest accent.

Most of Canada has its own accent. What the OP wants to prove is Canadians talks just like midwesterners or Californians and are upset Americans think we might have our own accent.

It is not the fact but rather the mindset that is so sad.

Accent to a large extend represent strong regional culture. If Canadians do speak exactly like someone from Michigan or Bakersfield, then it is just sad for Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2014, 07:57 AM
 
22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Reputation: 16962
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I think--and this is only my opinion--it's because Americans tell others how they are supposed to be.

Wait. Think about the thread title: "Americans in their rude assumptions about Canadians."

I cannot count the number of times Americans visiting Canada have told me things like,

-- "This is Canada? Why don't I see or hear more French? You're supposed to be French."
-- "A mile is a unit of distance used in the US. You don't know them, because you use kilometers."
-- "Your Constitution doesn't allow free speech, and you can be put in jail if you insult the Queen, or the government otherwise doesn't like what you say."

These (and many other similar statements) are assertions, boldly stated, and incorrect to boot. They would not rub Canadians the wrong way if, perhaps, they were phrased differently:

-- "I thought Canadians all spoke French, but I don't see or hear a lot of French. Why?"
-- "Are you familiar with miles?"
-- "Tell me about your free speech laws. I've heard that they're not as lax as we have in the US--can you clarify?"

Notice that the assertions tell us what we're supposed to be, while the rephrasings are questions. Questions indicate that one wishes to have their ignorance fought--they may have had an assumption, wondered about it or found it not to be true, and want to know why (or why not). Canadians will gladly answer questions, though they do not take kindly to a foreigner telling them what they are supposed to be; and we may find the answer to the question, "Why do Americans bug people so much?" in the "assertion vs. question" approach. I think most Canadians would be happy to be able to answer questions from Americans and others about Canada and the Canadian way of life.

You asked a serious question, Invincible. I have tried to give you a serious answer. I hope that I have.

Aside:

Why are the above assertions incorrect? Let's see:

-- "This is Canada? Why don't I see or hear more French? You're supposed to be French."

Canada is officially bilingual at the federal level. The province of New Brunswick is constitutionally bilingual. Some other provinces, such as Ontario, are de jure (at the provincial level) bilingual English-French in areas where it is warranted. Quebec speaks French by law, though under federal and provincial provisions and statutes, it must allow English in certain places; and proceedings of the National Assembly (the provincial legislature) are published in English and French. The other provinces have mostly adopted a "where demand requires" stance, which has resulted in such traditionally non-French provinces as Alberta offering services in French to French-speaking residents. However, to claim or assert that "Canada is French" would be incorrect.

-- "A mile is a unit of distance used in the US. You don't know them, because you use kilometers."

The Canadian changeover to the metric system happened in the late 1970s, putting Imperial (or if you prefer, "traditional US") measurements well within the memories of many Canadians today. Americans might look at the Canadian whom they are telling about miles; and for that matter, quarts, gallons, inches, feet, and pounds. If the person looks to be above 40, chances are they know Imperial measurements, either directly or indirectly (such as hearing about them from parents).

-- "Your Constitution doesn't allow free speech, and you can be put in jail if you insult the Queen, or the government otherwise doesn't like what you say."

I could write a book on this one, and just may someday. In short, you can insult the Queen all you like. Here, look: "Queen Elizabeth II sucks!" I'm waiting for the Mounties to come through my door. They won't, of course, because under section 2(b) of our Charter, they cannot.

Threatening the Queen, on the other hand, is prosecutable. However, this charge generally only comes into play if plans seem to be possible: the Queen is staying at the Royal York in Toronto, and somebody in souther Ontario says that they will blow up the hotel during her stay. The renegade in Vancouver who says he wishes he could be in Toronto to blow her up won't be taken seriously until he buys a plane ticket to Toronto.

If the government doesn't like what I have to say, tough. The only time I cross the line involves hate speech, which is defined through caselaw at the Supreme Court level. Cases such as Zundel and Keegstra set the bar very high. In other words, most Canadians in their every-day dealings would never run afoul of hate speech laws, even if they use the F-ing N-word, the F-ing K-word, or the F-ing M-word.
Wonderful attempt that serves to illustrate our chagrin. Hopefully it won't be lost on some but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2014, 08:25 AM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Reputation: 31329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
Yes everyone has an accent, but standard Canadian does not deviate that far in sound from a standard American dialect.
Hummmm... I have encountered, Appalachian English, Baltimore dialect, Boston accent, New Jersey, New York dialect, Pittsburgh English, Texan and Vermont English... My wife is from West Virginia but they apparently do not have their own dialect or accent (from reference: List of dialects of the English language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

I do have some Canadian friends here in New Mexico, U.S.A. Oddly one of them speaks German as well as "American"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2014, 09:30 AM
 
107 posts, read 201,644 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
I am not lying. Why are you being rude?

I am more than happy to PM you the name, location, and phone number of the clinic (I didn't go a particular doctor). I'll also provide you with the general date of treatment (it's been 20 years) and type of complaint--whatever you need.

Ho-hum, non-emergency, elective surgery: In the states, people wait for the same procedures as their insurance company decides whether or not it is going to pay or not....often not.

Where did you seek healthcare in Canada? What is your firsthand experience, exactly?

Naturally, the answer is "none." You have no credibility--but you already knew that, right?


Your case maybe anecdotal and is certainly NOT the norm.

You have zero credibility and have posted no proof to back your claims.

Do you even live there now?

quote....

"Ho-hum. I lived in Canada for 20+ years and never waited for treatment--not even once."[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

BTW ... I AM CANADIAN! now living in the USA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2014, 09:38 AM
 
64 posts, read 90,548 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I think--and this is only my opinion--it's because Americans tell others how they are supposed to be.

Wait. Think about the thread title: "Americans in their rude assumptions about Canadians."

I cannot count the number of times Americans visiting Canada have told me things like,

-- "This is Canada? Why don't I see or hear more French? You're supposed to be French."
-- "A mile is a unit of distance used in the US. You don't know them, because you use kilometers."
-- "Your Constitution doesn't allow free speech, and you can be put in jail if you insult the Queen, or the government otherwise doesn't like what you say."

These (and many other similar statements) are assertions, boldly stated, and incorrect to boot. They would not rub Canadians the wrong way if, perhaps, they were phrased differently:

-- "I thought Canadians all spoke French, but I don't see or hear a lot of French. Why?"
-- "Are you familiar with miles?"
-- "Tell me about your free speech laws. I've heard that they're not as lax as we have in the US--can you clarify?"

Notice that the assertions tell us what we're supposed to be, while the rephrasings are questions. Questions indicate that one wishes to have their ignorance fought--they may have had an assumption, wondered about it or found it not to be true, and want to know why (or why not). Canadians will gladly answer questions, though they do not take kindly to a foreigner telling them what they are supposed to be; and we may find the answer to the question, "Why do Americans bug people so much?" in the "assertion vs. question" approach. I think most Canadians would be happy to be able to answer questions from Americans and others about Canada and the Canadian way of life.

You asked a serious question, Invincible. I have tried to give you a serious answer. I hope that I have.

Aside:

Why are the above assertions incorrect? Let's see:

-- "This is Canada? Why don't I see or hear more French? You're supposed to be French."

Canada is officially bilingual at the federal level. The province of New Brunswick is constitutionally bilingual. Some other provinces, such as Ontario, are de jure (at the provincial level) bilingual English-French in areas where it is warranted. Quebec speaks French by law, though under federal and provincial provisions and statutes, it must allow English in certain places; and proceedings of the National Assembly (the provincial legislature) are published in English and French. The other provinces have mostly adopted a "where demand requires" stance, which has resulted in such traditionally non-French provinces as Alberta offering services in French to French-speaking residents. However, to claim or assert that "Canada is French" would be incorrect.

-- "A mile is a unit of distance used in the US. You don't know them, because you use kilometers."

The Canadian changeover to the metric system happened in the late 1970s, putting Imperial (or if you prefer, "traditional US") measurements well within the memories of many Canadians today. Americans might look at the Canadian whom they are telling about miles; and for that matter, quarts, gallons, inches, feet, and pounds. If the person looks to be above 40, chances are they know Imperial measurements, either directly or indirectly (such as hearing about them from parents).

-- "Your Constitution doesn't allow free speech, and you can be put in jail if you insult the Queen, or the government otherwise doesn't like what you say."

I could write a book on this one, and just may someday. In short, you can insult the Queen all you like. Here, look: "Queen Elizabeth II sucks!" I'm waiting for the Mounties to come through my door. They won't, of course, because under section 2(b) of our Charter, they cannot.

Threatening the Queen, on the other hand, is prosecutable. However, this charge generally only comes into play if plans seem to be possible: the Queen is staying at the Royal York in Toronto, and somebody in souther Ontario says that they will blow up the hotel during her stay. The renegade in Vancouver who says he wishes he could be in Toronto to blow her up won't be taken seriously until he buys a plane ticket to Toronto.

If the government doesn't like what I have to say, tough. The only time I cross the line involves hate speech, which is defined through caselaw at the Supreme Court level. Cases such as Zundel and Keegstra set the bar very high. In other words, most Canadians in their every-day dealings would never run afoul of hate speech laws, even if they use the F-ing N-word, the F-ing K-word, or the F-ing M-word.
Planning assassinations or sending death threats to anyone is against the law in both Canada and the United States. Not just the Queen.

Not only that but since the conservatives have been in office hate speechs laws are being scrapped one by one. You actually can use racial slur now, The only thing that is still illegal is advocating genocide.

As far as Holocaust denial goes it's accepted on a personal level. The only people I've heard of getting in trouble are the teachers who teach the belief. And usually only if it's constant.

Last edited by Heinrich S; 02-04-2014 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2014, 09:55 AM
 
10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Reputation: 7873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich S View Post

Not only that but since the conservatives have been in office hate speechs laws are being scrapped one by one. You actually can use racial slur now, The only thing that is still illegal is advocating genocide.
I am not white, but racial slur? I don't like it, but it is hardly a crime. Making it one doesn't really change how people think inside. You mean A can call B a pig, but calling him a black pig suddenly it becomes a crime?

Our political correctness has been played to such a extent that even scientific study showing IQ difference among different racial groups is considered the wrong thing to do and largely forbidden (well, unless it says White have lower IQ, then it is totally breakthroughs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2014, 10:01 AM
 
64 posts, read 90,548 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am not white, but racial slur? I don't like it, but it is hardly a crime. Making it one doesn't really change how people think inside. You mean A can call B a pig, but calling him a black pig suddenly it becomes a crime?

Our political correctness has been played to such a extent that even scientific study showing IQ difference among different racial groups is considered the wrong thing to do and largely forbidden (well, unless it says White have lower IQ, then it is totally breakthroughs).
The main issue with the hate speech route is that it is abused and mostly unproven due to lack of evidence. I'm White and I've seen Caucasians abuse it just as much as any race.

Being a Rock and Heavy Metal fan I don't share much likeness for Rap or Eminem, but Him getting banned about a decade ago would never fly today.

I just don't think the Government needs to look after grown Men and Women's Feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2014, 12:22 PM
 
22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Reputation: 16962
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjones1234 View Post
Oh yeah sure the doctor just tossed you on the table and sliced you open that very same day it was diagnosed...I'm sure..
Maybe not but this isn't the case either:

50 U.S. Health Care Statistics That Will Absolutely Astonish You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 PM
 
320 posts, read 480,382 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjones1234 View Post
Your case maybe anecdotal and is certainly NOT the norm.

You have zero credibility and have posted no proof to back your claims.

Do you even live there now?

quote....

"Ho-hum. I lived in Canada for 20+ years and never waited for treatment--not even once."[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

BTW ... I AM CANADIAN! now living in the USA!
Oh well...that's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess. I can't fathom what proof would satisfy you; I already offered to PM you some particulars. But, hey, this is the internet...and you're just doing your job as a troll. I see that you're bullying a number of posters on this thread. I guess I'm in good company.

Thank goodness you're Canadian (all caps!!!!). That means you can't vote here in the USA.

Bye now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2014, 02:48 PM
 
107 posts, read 201,644 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
Oh well...that's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess. I can't fathom what proof would satisfy you; I already offered to PM you some particulars. But, hey, this is the internet...and you're just doing your job as a troll. I see that you're bullying a number of posters on this thread. I guess I'm in good company.

Thank goodness you're Canadian (all caps!!!!). That means you can't vote here in the USA.

Bye now.
You prattle on about knowing the situation about Canadian healthcare when it's obvious you don't. Citing some experience 20 years ago as if it is the same now. My experience goes back less than a decade. The Canadian healthcare system hasn't improved since then.

I just knocked you out of the park.

BTW I am a dual citizen and can vote in the USA...beat you again. Hell I can even run for office,,,just ask Ted Cruz.

I can kick your backside on both sides of the border
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top