Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 05:09 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times

Advertisements

This should help:

Homepage | USCIS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 05:35 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
This should help:

Homepage | USCIS
Magnatomicflux after reading most of these threads it seems there tow types of people in Canada.People who love Canada and take pride in Canada way of doing things and people who wont to be more like the US.

I think a lot of this as to do with Canada culture is main problem.Not just accent or they way they speak but every thing.That face it , Canada feels 90% American with some odd British!!! When you go to any other country in world it not just different , it is major shock. If Canada broke from the monarchy long ago than it probably would be more like the US.Much of Canada odd way of doing things is from the UK coming in now and than.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Magnatomicflux after reading most of these threads it seems there tow types of people in Canada.People who love Canada and take pride in Canada way of doing things and people who wont to be more like the US.

I think a lot of this as to do with Canada culture is main problem.Not just accent or they way they speak but every thing.That face it , Canada feels 90% American with some odd British!!! When you go to any other country in world it not just different , it is major shock. If Canada broke from the monarchy long ago than it probably would be more like the US.Much of Canada odd way of doing things is from the UK coming in now and than.

Oh, I'm well aware of that, sweat. I happen to be one who loves Canada, takes pride in the Canadian way of doing things, and am not the least bit ashamed of knowing how Americanized we are, nor am I ashamed of whatever accent I may have.

I happen to sound more American with alot of Canadian ehs? and aouts thrown in. lol

Old 02-15-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Oh, I'm well aware of that, sweat. I happen to be one who loves Canada, takes pride in the Canadian way of doing things, and am not the least bit ashamed of knowing how Americanized we are. lol

Especially where I live.
There is other thread some months ago that explain this Phenomenon , it is basically Canada lacks its own culture and feels more like other state of US the 51 state with odd British.Also lack of people and cities probably why obsession of the US along with lack of own culture.

Than there is other people the types of people in Canada who hate the US but at the same time obsession about the US.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
There is other thread some months ago that explain this Phenomenon , it is basically Canada lacks its own culture and feels more like other state of US the 51 state with odd British.Also lack of people and cities probably why obsession of the US along with lack of own culture.

Than there is other people the types of people in Canada who hate the US but at the same time obsession about the US.

Mmm.....I wouldn't go so far as to say we don't have our own culture. The cities we do have are great for living in, so no problem there. I think we could maybe use another 20 million people, but that's it. No need to go cluttering things up.
I also wouldn't call it an obsession, as it is incredibly difficult to ignore the elephant sleeping in your bed, no?

lol

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 02-15-2014 at 06:29 PM..

Old 02-16-2014, 02:47 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,777,471 times
Anglo-Canadians with strongly distinct accents sound a bit like people from North East England, except for Newfoundlanders who have more of an Irish/West Country brogue and people in the Maritimes who sound more Scottish influenced.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:34 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Anglo-Canadians with strongly distinct accents sound a bit like people from North East England, except for Newfoundlanders who have more of an Irish/West Country brogue and people in the Maritimes who sound more Scottish influenced.
I've met a few Newfoundlanders who sounded like they just got off the boat from Cork or from the West Country. Those distinct accents may well flatten over time with the influence of TV, movies, etc., but they do persist in pockets of the island.

I haven't met a native-born and -raised Anglo-Canadian who sounds like s/he is from the north-east of England. Nor have I met Maritimers local to the area who sound remotely Scottish. Not one.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:45 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Heres how to translate Canadian eh.
How to Understand Canadian Slang (with Examples)
A couple of mistakes i noticed Dep is usually used in Quebec by Anglos in reference to Depanneur (corner store)
And Blockhead would be Squarehead as francophones like calling Anglos "Tête carrée":

Old 02-16-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Mmm.....I wouldn't go so far as to say we don't have our own culture. The cities we do have are great for living in, so no problem there. I think we could maybe use another 20 million people, but that's it. No need to go cluttering things up.
I also wouldn't call it an obsession, as it is incredibly difficult to ignore the elephant sleeping in your bed, no?

lol

What I was getting at is some of these members making many of these threads not just (how I can sound more American) is a culture problem.Yes Canada in lot of ways not just accents ,way they talk , spelling that is 95% American (other than a small 5% spelling difference here and there like Color vs. colour) so on feels 90% Amarican!! But alot of this is Government's fault.

Some people not all do feel Canada lacks its own culture in it own way.The culture does not feel foreign enough.Much of the Canadian culture be it accents ,dialect ,law,governemt,police,army and Parliamentary system is British influence.So Canada does not feel clone British state because it so Americanized to the extreme!! Yet it does not feel a clone US state because of some odd British influenceb popping in here and there in its culture.The problem is Canada never made up its mind what it wonts to be , a clone US state ,clone UK state or dump all and have its own culture foreign from both.

Where Australia and New Zealand is really foreign to the Amarican culture.

Also the shift with Canadian movement to a more conservative way of doing things in past 20 years does not help and feels more US like.In some ways worse than the US.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
What I was getting at is some of these members making many of these threads not just (how I can sound more American) is a culture problem.Yes Canada in lot of ways not just accents ,way they talk , spelling that is 95% American (other than a small 5% spelling difference here and there like Color vs. colour) so on feels 90% Amarican!! But alot of this is Government's fault.

Some people not all do feel Canada lacks its own culture in it own way.The culture does not feel foreign enough.Much of the Canadian culture be it accents ,dialect ,law,governemt,police,army and Parliamentary system is British influence.So Canada does not feel clone British state because it so Americanized to the extreme!! Yet it does not feel a clone US state because of some odd British influenceb popping in here and there in its culture.The problem is Canada never made up its mind what it wonts to be , a clone US state ,clone UK state or dump all and have its own culture foreign from both.

Where Australia and New Zealand is really foreign to the Amarican culture.

Also the shift with Canadian movement to a more conservative way of doing things in past 20 years does not help and feels more US like.In some ways worse than the US.

See, the funny thing is, is that when we do try to preserve things that are Canadian, we get accused of having an inferiority complex, desperatly trying to set ourselves apart from Americans. It's a no-win situation for Canadians. We all know how American our society is, and there is NOTHING wrong with that. It makes total sense. We're eachothers #1 trading partners, we have the longest undefended border in the world, we're cut from the same cloth. If we were the big kid on the block, it would be the other way around. But, if we acknowledge the fact that yes, we're Canadian, and proud of it.........that's a big no-no. When we acknowledge that we do many things just like Americans, we're just followers and have no culture.

You're right though. It does not feel like a clone of the US because of British influence, and it does not feel like a British clone because of American influence. You know what you have then?

CANADA!

It's not that we can't decide who to "follow". It's that we are who we want to be. We've taken the best from both, mixed in our own, and made a proud nation out of it.
However, that seems to be unacceptable to some people.

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 02-16-2014 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada