Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-18-2014, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Reputation: 4438

Advertisements

I thought you meant pay raise by the title.

What do you mean exactly? Reaching maturity? Probably between 17-19 for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2014, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Reputation: 13536
I don't think I have one? My region is very "Americanized". The only time I've experienced it was in British Columbia, and north of Toronto, so I have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2014, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Reputation: 5504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoepolish View Post
I heard the "Raise" doesn't manifest in Canadian children until they hit 15-16 and start displaying signs of it. Before that they sound relatively normal. However the onset can be even earlier.

What age did it start for you? Do you remember the day when you went through the change.
Where the heck did you hear about that bizzare theory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2014, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Reputation: 5556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoepolish View Post
I heard the "Raise" doesn't manifest in Canadian children until they hit 15-16 and start displaying signs of it. Before that they sound relatively normal. However the onset can be even earlier.

What age did it start for you? Do you remember the day when you went through the change.
No.

Given that I make a few dollars recording voiceovers for American ads and whatnot, and have never studied "American voice," I think it is safe to say that "Canadian raising" is overblown. If I had to pin my accent down, I'd say that I speak "American newscaster," much like Peter Jennings and Morley Safer--both of whom were Canadian.

Seriously, why is a Canadian accent of such interest to Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2014, 02:16 AM
 
Location: Canada
14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Reputation: 34871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoepolish View Post

......... Before that they sound relatively normal. .....
Normal compared to who and to what other languages and countries?

Define normal?

Canadians sound normal to other Canadians? Everyone else sounds abnormal to Canadians?

When is the rest of the world going to smarten up and start speaking normally like Canadians do???

??? ???

?

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2014, 07:57 AM
 
35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Reputation: 30999
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Seriously, why is a Canadian accent of such interest to Americans?
Whatever it is they are obsessed with it.

Could some one define what is meant by "the raise"?
If it is about accents theres a sticky devoted to just that issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2014, 10:12 AM
 
35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Reputation: 30999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiedough22 View Post
Maybe it's because Canadians DO have an accent and try to deny it which is hilarious to us. Just a guess.
Obviously if it sounds like Canadians have an accent to Americans its logical to assume Americans have an accent to Canadians, however we Canadians dont obsess about it by starting topic after topic on the issue of American accents, we just take it for granted ya'll just tawk lak Pawla Daean.
And need a language course to understand American.
http://www.ebonics-translator.com/learn_ebonics.php

If you want to talk accents heres your place.=
https://www.city-data.com/forum/canad...-language.html

Last edited by jambo101; 11-19-2014 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2014, 01:55 PM
 
35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Reputation: 30999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiedough22 View Post
I think it's weird how Canadians kind of flip out over the accent thing. It's as though they're weirdly ashamed. You shouldn't feel ashamed because you say about a little like aboot. It's fairly charming.

Canadians flipping out over their own accents?Something you may not have considered is we dont hear this linguistic anomaly.
Its Americans that seem to be obsessed with the way we evidently say out and about.
in fact oot and aboot would be more attributable to a Scottish accent.

Welcome to the forum eh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2014, 02:16 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Reputation: 9263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
No.

Given that I make a few dollars recording voiceovers for American ads and whatnot, and have never studied "American voice," I think it is safe to say that "Canadian raising" is overblown. If I had to pin my accent down, I'd say that I speak "American newscaster," much like Peter Jennings and Morley Safer--both of whom were Canadian.

Seriously, why is a Canadian accent of such interest to Americans?
How did you come to this conclusion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2014, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Reputation: 11650
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
How did you come to this conclusion?
8,566 threads about it on City-Data, maybe?

I don't really feel anything personally about this as I don't really have the accent people are talking about. (I have more a French Canadian accent.)

But I can understand that it is annoying for some people.

I mean, who the f- cares if people speak with a (slightly) different accent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top