Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2019, 08:41 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,709,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
nope Clarence and Rockland is 20 km away from me, in Ontario. We have a lot of Franco Ontarians in Eastern Ontario, I would say 50% plus, certainly her accent is typical for the region....by the way Franco Ontarians are very proud of their heritage and culture and to confuse them with Quebecers, to them, is an insult
I wasn’t trying to insult them. I thought most Franco-Ontarians spoke “unaccented” English like the other guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 12:24 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,487,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I wasn’t trying to insult them. I thought most Franco-Ontarians spoke “unaccented” English like the other guy.
no I did not think you were it was just a general comment, btw I don't detect any hint of a French accent in the other guy

Old 11-20-2019, 12:36 PM

26,758 posts, read 37,652,675 times
As different as they sound, both of those accents (when speaking in English) are commonly found among francophones who are native to the Clarence-Rockland area.

The variations among people from the same place can be explained by stuff like family dynamics and differing levels of exposure to English in school, at work, etc.

I would say though that the lady's accent is on its way out as the area becomes increasingly a full-blown Ottawa suburb.

Already once you get maybe 15 minutes east of Rockland to a place like Orleans, there aren't any francophones under 60 who are native to the area and who have strong French accents like that in English.

This is also true of francophones from central Ottawa itself.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesse View Post
my Quebecois gf drops 'h'-sound whenever she gets a chance.

and she puts the 'h' sounds where it doesn't belong ex acknowledge = hacknowledge

other than that she speaks English quite fluently and her accent isn't too strong.
I guess you could call it the Floating H.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:15 PM

France or Quebec?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PDqAZbCP7Gg

Old 12-10-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Definitely France. Though this type of Christmas treat is extremely common in Quebec as well. We always have one.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:24 PM

How about this guy?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRyNxxg_uZ8

Old 12-12-2019, 05:45 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,487,700 times
Quote:
he is from Montreal, though his accent is French Canadian it is not as "nasal" as some of neighbours in Gatineau/Hull

Old 12-12-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
he is from Montreal, though his accent is French Canadian it is not as "nasal" as some of neighbours in Gatineau/Hull
Oh no he is totally European French and not Québécois sounding at all. Even if he lives in Montreal.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:18 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,970,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geog-fanatic View Post
Where I grew up in central Georgia, there was a distinction between cot and caught with local southerners. Caught was pronounced something like "cawt", which is similar sounding to the stereotypical pronunciation in the south of "dawg" for dog. However, I notice this distinction less and less, as so many people across the state hail from somewhere else, which influences all dialects.
I don't know if it is the same in Canada? But, America is a highly mobile society. The average American relocates, nearly always to someplace else in America, once every 5 years. Regional accents are slowly disappearing as a result. If you live in Georgia or Alabama, there is a very good chance your neighbor is from Ohio or Texas. In towns where the 4,000 colleges and universities are located, such movement is the norm.

To me, Canadian speech (likely from the area from Ontario through Alberta, is nearly identical to Upper Midwest American speech. There are a few distinct pronunciations for certain words, but people from the Upper Midwest and from central Canada, if they worked on losing a few distinct ways of saying certain words, would have interchangeable speech characteristics. Maybe that is why there are a significant number of Canadian broadcasters working in USA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada