Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 02:55 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
We clearly don't pronounce words with "ou" in it the same way, don't know how you can't tell the difference. Ask any Canadian to say house, south, mouth, or scout. The ou in those words would sound more like an "oa/uw" than an "ow" sound which is what you hear out of 99% of Americans. American: "Howse", Canadian: "Hoase/Huwse" .... etc. I find it extraordinary how we pronounce "ou" though, it's mind boggling because I think we're the only English speakers on earth that pronounce it this way (other than the Scots?). I find it odd since Ontario was the destination for millions of immigrants from England and the US and they both pronounce it as "ow". Did the Scots have that huge of a stranglehold on English speaking Canada? Amazing stuff.
Not all US residents say "ow." Most of us here in the northern states (Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northern Michigan) say it the same way as Canadians. It's not "aboot" though, it's a subtle difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 03:15 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,856,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Not all US residents say "ow." Most of us here in the northern states (Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northern Michigan) say it the same way as Canadians. It's not "aboot" though, it's a subtle difference.
That's true. The Upper Midwest has had significant Scandanavian influence now that I think about it.. think that might have something to do with it? And yeah it's definitely not "aboot". I have heard "aboot" from Newfies though. Just do a search on Youtube lol.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:59 AM

26 posts, read 81,945 times
I'm originally from Southern Ontario and have lived in the Pacific northwest of the U.S. for almost 9 years now. I'm told even to this day that I say 'aboot' for 'about'. I have also been asked if I'm from North Dakota, Wisconsin or Minnesota because I talk like someone from one of those states. Funny thing is that now when I hear someone from Southern Ontario talking (watching live broadcast news out of Ontario), I can hear the "accent"...lol. My son and I lost the "eh" when we moved here.

Last edited by idawmn; 03-20-2011 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add something.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:11 PM

165 posts, read 530,737 times
Click here Black Canadians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-22-2011, 02:40 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
I think ckhthankgod sent me this. This is the about some of things that were going on the Black community in Nova Scotia in the 1970's. The accent sounds very different from what is heard in the USA. Furthermore,this video gives s deeper inside into one part of the Afro-Canadian community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amidAGB_Ct8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNrGV...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQg_t...eature=related

Old 03-22-2011, 02:53 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,431,135 times
They sound Irish ("whoite", "foight", the rolling r's...)

Last edited by Perfect Stranger; 03-22-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 03-22-2011, 02:55 PM

The accent sounds similar to what you hear from people in Minnesota. It's just a "Northern" accent, common to Canada and the extreme northern United States. Totally different from the AAVE/Southern accent of most African-Americans.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
The sound Irish ("whoite", "foight", the rolling r's...)
Not really Irish at all. That's your typical Canadian accent, known as "Canadian raising."

Old 03-22-2011, 03:01 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The accent sounds similar to what you hear from people in Minnesota. It's just a "Northern" accent, common to Canada and the extreme northern United States. Totally different from the AAVE/Southern accent of most African-Americans.
I also notice some of the accents have a slight Scottish influence to them.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:21 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,856,717 times
NS is heavily irish influenced. We sound nothing like that over here in Ontario. The way Newfies sound almost directly resemble's the accent of those from Ireland and they're not too far from NS. Canadian raising is the way we pronounce "ou" in words. Scout, out, about, etc. What you're referring to is not an example of Canadian raising; it's simply how Scotians speak and is unique to the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada