Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-26-2011, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
Reputation: 3371

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
You sound just like a Canadian in this video, however, when I listened to you speak in some of your other videos (e.g. "You Sound White") I could detect a much higher level of what I consider to be an "American" accent (like, for example, the way you pronounce the word "matter").

Interesting!
The other videos were from years ago, when I lived in Michigan. I guess my accent has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2011, 11:24 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Reputation: 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
very interesting, the examples of the you and the hockey players sound American but If I squint, I can hear some Canadian influences. The Reverend sounded more AAVE to me though, not as 'severe' but still you can hear it
Me too, not much different than other blacks. Northstar you sound exactly like a girl I know from MN. I can't hear much of an accent with the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2011, 11:31 AM
 
3,083 posts, read 4,878,492 times
Reputation: 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
The other videos were from years ago, when I lived in Michigan. I guess my accent has changed.
the 'you sound white' video sounds like you had a NCVS influenced accent which would make sense living in Michigan. But your latest accent sounds more Canadian for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2011, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Reputation: 11651
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I have friends (in New Brunswick, Canada) that don't speak ANY French and yet have a French accent on certain words. It is BIZARRE!!!!!!!!!!
I have met people like this as well! They are also present in the Ottawa Valley. No knowledge of French but speak English with a slight French accent.

This is not unique in the world though. Lots of people in the south of France near the Italian border are French, speak only French and no Italian, yet to other francophones sound like Italians speaking French!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Reputation: 11862
What's weird is I hear people who sound 99% American, but have about three words that sound extremely Canadian. Even I do notice there IS a Canadian accent, but it seems alot stronger in rural areas away from the big cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Reputation: 11651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What's weird is I hear people who sound 99% American, but have about three words that sound extremely Canadian. .
A nasty cynic might say this statement captures the essence of much of Canada: 99% identical to the U.S., with just a few smidgens of Canadianism thrown into the mix...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 AM
 
3,083 posts, read 4,878,492 times
Reputation: 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A nasty cynic might say this statement captures the essence of much of Canada: 99% identical to the U.S., with just a few smidgens of Canadianism thrown into the mix...
Whats nasty about the truth? I have lived in another country (England) and before I came here, I thought Canada and the US were the same more or less, 23 years later, I feel the same way. Canadians are fooling themselves if they think that the world see's them as being SO different from Americans, it is simply not the case, whether they like it or not. The lifestyle, the culture, the sports for the most part or all the same, food the same (more or less). Moving from England to Canada was a huge culture shock, moving from Canada to the US would be just a little different thats about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2011, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Reputation: 11651
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
Whats nasty about the truth? I have lived in another country (England) and before I came here, I thought Canada and the US were the same more or less, 23 years later, I feel the same way. Canadians are fooling themselves if they think that the world see's them as being SO different from Americans, it is simply not the case, whether they like it or not. The lifestyle, the culture, the sports for the most part or all the same, food the same (more or less). Moving from England to Canada was a huge culture shock, moving from Canada to the US would be just a little different thats about it.
Let's just say that I am particularly attuned to Canadian sensitivities about being described as "highly similar" to Americans...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 AM
 
3,083 posts, read 4,878,492 times
Reputation: 3724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Let's just say that I am particularly attuned to Canadian sensitivities about being described as "highly similar" to Americans...

Ok I will correct that comment and exclude Quebecers, they are different from....well...just about everyone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2011, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Reputation: 11651
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
Ok I will correct that comment and exclude Quebecers, they are different from....well...just about everyone...
To be quite honest, I actually had English-speaking Canadians in mind when I made that comment!

I don't think Quebec's différence and uniqueness (from everyone, as you say) is generally a matter of dispute or denial. OK, maybe from certain ones of their fellow Canadians, but that's more of a political tactic aimed at not making any further concessions to Quebec, than anything based on sociological evidence.

In my experience, Quebecers aren't as touchy about their similarities (or not) with the U.S. as are other Canadians, and tend to embrace their geographic status as "North Americans" more as well.

Now, as for their status as "Canadians like all the others", well that's a whole other story...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top