Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 01:28 PM

87 posts, read 192,637 times

Advertisements

Being from Northwestern Ontario, we go to Minnesota a lot. We sound like them in certain ways. By "we" I mean the people in my city (thunder bay). I can tell within a few words that they are from minnesota due to their "O" and "A" sound. People in winnipeg sound very similar to me but someone from Alberta or the Prairies sounds different than me in some ways. People in Toronto obviously sound way different than what I am used to hearing. They sound american to me and I can tell they are from Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 01:07 PM

230 posts, read 535,952 times
Want to hear the quintessential Canadian accent?
McDonald's photo shoot - Behind the scenes - YouTube

Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,409 times
IMO yes the accent is becoming more neutral, for proof talk to an eldery person from ontario and that person's grand child, the elderly person will almost sound British in comparison to their younger grand child. Another thing is, I wouldnt say an accent is stronger or weaker, but more neutral (could be from anywhere in a country but cannot place where) or less neutral/regional (probably from a region you are familiar with)

Old 06-20-2012, 11:55 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
IMO yes the accent is becoming more neutral, for proof talk to an eldery person from ontario and that person's grand child, the elderly person will almost sound British in comparison to their younger grand child. Another thing is, I wouldnt say an accent is stronger or weaker, but more neutral (could be from anywhere in a country but cannot place where) or less neutral/regional (probably from a region you are familiar with)
Yeah I noticed that young people in Ontario sound the same as young people in Vancouver, basically similar to a Californian or PNW accent but with some Canadianisms, but I can tell that older Ontarians have more of a British and also eastern United States sound to their voice (maybe the Italian influence?), while older BC residents don't sound too much different from the young people there.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:35 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Yeah I noticed that young people in Ontario sound the same as young people in Vancouver, basically similar to a Californian or PNW accent but with some Canadianisms, but I can tell that older Ontarians have more of a British and also eastern United States sound to their voice (maybe the Italian influence?), while older BC residents don't sound too much different from the young people there.
by Canadianisms I assume you mean the Canadian Raising and the Rounded vowel's or do you mean choice of words like 'wash room' for example??

Old 06-24-2012, 01:48 AM

455 posts, read 1,131,918 times
I feel it's a more urban rural phenomena. The only canadians in southern ontario i seem to encounter with thicker accents tend to come from "up north" and the smaller towns therein.

The same can be said for most urban-rural situations in many other countries.

Also using the OP's example of younger canadian celebrities I don't think older canadian celebrities like jim carrey, dan akroyd, martin short, mike myers, bryan adams had particularly noticeable canadian accents, at least i've never hear people make mention of them.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:50 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
Want to hear the quintessential Canadian accent?
McDonald's photo shoot - Behind the scenes - YouTube
Ha! Great video! Correct on the accent and actually interesting to watch! Canadian "about" at around 48 seconds.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:11 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
It has a lot in common with the dialects of the western US but is pretty different from the way Americans east of Colorado talk. I think the TV/Western accent is also merging towards Canadian as well, people my age in Ontario and BC sound fairly similar to me and people I know.

Interestingly though, Ontarians are probably sounding less and less like the Americans over the water from them, due to the Northern Cities vowel shift and also the shift of General Canadian away from 'aboat'.
Yep. You and I were talking about this in the California forum. Outside of MN and the Dakotas, Californians sound the most Canadian. This is significant because most of the movies and TV come out of CA. This is often the dialect many people pick up. Californians have a slight Canadian like rise in words like about. Sounding slightly like aboat but not as strongly. Also, Californians tend to clip vowels more. This is most prominent in Northern California.

These may be the reasons perhaps why younger Canadians may have weaker accents and why younger Californians accents are also changing. I run into Canadians sometimes at work and if it weren't for checking ID'd, I'd often never know they were Canadian.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
I notice a divide between Canadians born before and after 1970 don't you? Canadians older than 40 or so sound more stereotypically Canadian, while Canadians younger than 40 have an accent that's a bit more similar to the accent of American television though it lacks the drawl of American speech and still retains the feature of pitch rising as the sentence continues, like you are asking a question.
We do that too LOL

Old 06-27-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
by Canadianisms I assume you mean the Canadian Raising and the Rounded vowel's or do you mean choice of words like 'wash room' for example??
Mostly the rising and rounded vowels. I've heard people say wash-room but didn't know that was a Canadian thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada