Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 12:30 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Ha! Great video! Correct on the accent and actually interesting to watch! Canadian "about" at around 48 seconds.
Her accent is slightly stronger than what I often hear from Canadians. It's mostly her vocal inflections. The abouts are noticeable. Otherwise to me she doesn't sound too much different than where I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 03:23 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Mostly the rising and rounded vowels. I've heard people say wash-room but didn't know that was a Canadian thing.
Yeah when I was in Vancouver I noticed the hostel called the restroom a 'washroom', I figured that was just a Canadian thing.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:45 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Yeah when I was in Vancouver I noticed the hostel called the restroom a 'washroom', I figured that was just a Canadian thing.
That term is never used in the United States? Didn't know that. Yeah, to be honest I understand restroom but I never use the term and don't know anyone who does. It's either a bathroom or a washroom (and never a WC or loo).

Old 06-27-2012, 10:18 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
That term is never used in the United States? Didn't know that. Yeah, to be honest I understand restroom but I never use the term and don't know anyone who does. It's either a bathroom or a washroom (and never a WC or loo).
I think Canadian and American English are so similar (and they really are it is true) that we sometimes get lulled into thinking that there are almost no differences at all.

I remember once I was in the States and referred to the drawer of a cash register as the "till" and the person didn't understand what I meant at all.

Turns out it is a Britishism still used in Canada but not in the States.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 AM

And there's the grade eleven vs eleventh grade thing, although I've been seeing lately some young Canadians using the American convention.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:12 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
I find that accents across the world these days are less and less pronounced because of media and travel. Expressions and words travel much more than they used to and although you still can have moments where there are things you don't understand, these incidents are much rarer than they used to be.

Just looking at my kids who are native French speakers, their French is much more "international" than mine ever was growing up. For all the talk of Quebec/Canadian French being incomprehensible to other francophones, I could drop my kids into a schoolyard in francophone Europe and they wouldn't have any trouble communicating - though the kids would think they had funny accents!

I am sure I would have had a tougher time of it in Europe with the French I spoke as a child.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:29 PM

16 posts, read 112,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Her accent is slightly stronger than what I often hear from Canadians.
Oh yeah, it very much is... most 2nd/3rd generation Canadians are neutral sounding. She sounds a little British.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:03 PM

285 posts, read 703,276 times
Acajack makes a good point; accents are becoming a bit more subtle all over the world and not just in Canada.

My sister-in-law is from northern Ontario, and her accent is perhaps more conspicuously Canadian than anyone else in our family; the rest of us were all born in Toronto but scattered as far east as Montreal and as far south as Ohio. Even after years of living in Ohio, I still get asked where I'm from because of the accent.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:44 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
And there's the grade eleven vs eleventh grade thing, although I've been seeing lately some young Canadians using the American convention.
The American convention would probably as well be "junior", as in freshman, sophomore, junior, senior...

Old 06-27-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
The American convention would probably as well be "junior", as in freshman, sophomore, junior, senior...
Oh, I meant people saying second grade instead of, say, grade two. Do people anywhere in Canada use that Junior, Freshman business? I grew up in Quebec and since highschool went from grade seven to grade eleven before people went on to CEGEP or work it wasn't even applicable. Is it totally no used anywhere in Canada even though you have the same highschool format?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada