Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 07:24 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times

Advertisements

Being in Quebec where there is an independence movement in a region that speaks a different language from the rest of the country, almost everyone knows about Catalonia because it is supposedly a situation a little similar to ours.

I have been to Barcelona and found that Catalan seemed to be a mix between Spanish and French, and that I could use my French to understand the signs. At that time, I did not speak Spanish (Castellano), and found that most of the tourism and service people I met could speak a little bit of French. When they found out I was from Quebec, they all wanted to speak French to me, and to talk about the political situation in Quebec.

Anyway, please do not be worried about safety in Vancouver. It is fairly large city and there are some bad areas, but in general it is as safe as any large European city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 08:39 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,454,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW2NOVA View Post
What are you talking about? Areas ridden with gang violence, AIDS and crystal meth aren't considered "very safe" by US standards. Talk about naive.
I think you would have an extremely hard time proving that Canada's worst is as bad as our worst. That was my point, which I didn't feel anyone would find it too challenging to perceive.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:03 AM

40 posts, read 170,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I think you would have an extremely hard time proving that Canada's worst is as bad as our worst. That was my point, which I didn't feel anyone would find it too challenging to perceive.
Uh why don't you google the Downtown Eastside and get back to me on that. I used to live there, did you know it also has the highest auto theft rate in North America (Surrey, BC)

So thanks for your back-handed compliment, I know a lot more about Van than you do

Old 09-17-2008, 02:35 AM

26 posts, read 140,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW2NOVA View Post
Actually there is a huge difference, and you'll notice it when you leave Vancouver like I did. Thank God.

NW2NOVA, didn't you like Vancouver when you lived there? I don't really get the point of the sentence you have written.

I would like you to answer me whenever you can.

Thankss

Old 09-17-2008, 02:48 AM

j_k_k, first of all thanks for that information about the % of Spanish speakers, it's quite interesting.

As I suppose you know, here in Catalonia, the weather is Mediterranean and I really like it, although now I think that we will have more summer period than winter winter because of all the changes that the world weather is suffering. And the fact is that I prefer winter, but winter in Catalonia means cold but we are not used to have rain everyday, that's what I don't know how I will feel in a place where it rains everyday, maybe where you live the weather is similar to Van or not? Maybe not, because you said you lived in the south of Washington state.

It's true that a lot of Catalan people would like Catalonia to be one country and not a part of Spain, but the fact, is that me, personally I like being Spanish, for me that's no problem.

At last, I would like to apologize if I do a lot of mistakes in written English, I try to do my best so you can understand.

Thanks for: usted es muy amable senorita "Sie sind sehr intelligent"
(I love languages that's why I study German and French, in fact I am starting to study chinese lol)

Old 09-17-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose22 View Post

It's true that a lot of Catalan people would like Catalonia to be one country and not a part of Spain, but the fact, is that me, personally I like being Spanish, for me that's no problem.
It is the same in Quebec. A majority of people here would like to stay in Canada, although the other % in favour of independence is generally higher than it is in Catalonia.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It is the same in Quebec. A majority of people here would like to stay in Canada, although the other % in favour of independence is generally higher than it is in Catalonia.
Yes maybe it is more or less the same situation, but here in Catalonia there are also a lot of people who want to be independent, I don't know if so many as in Quebec because I don't know the size of it. But the fact is, that I think that Catalonia, eventhough the majority of the population wanted the independence, it would be very difficult because the government would lose an important comunity (Catalonia) that helps a lot the Spanish economy.
I don't know if you understand what I mean, and beside I have to say that this is my opinion, I don't really know exactly everything because I don't like politic at all.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Yes maybe it is more or less the same situation, but here in Catalonia there are also a lot of people who want to be independent, I don't know if so many as in Quebec because I don't know the size of it. But the fact is, that I think that Catalonia, eventhough the majority of the population wanted the independence, it would be very difficult because the government would lose an important comunity (Catalonia) that helps a lot the Spanish economy.
I don't know if you understand what I mean, and beside I have to say that this is my opinion, I don't really know exactly everything because I don't like politic at all.
Support for Quebec becoming its own country is generally stable around 40%, and hovers as low as 35% and as high as 45%.

From what I have read in articles it seems that the support for independence in Catalonia is generally between 15% and 25%.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Support for Quebec becoming its own country is generally stable around 40%, and hovers as low as 35% and as high as 45%.

From what I have read in articles it seems that the support for independence in Catalonia is generally between 15% and 25%.

Well thanks for the information, I didn't know it, I just talk for what I see in the streets, but of course I haven't been to all the villages in Catalonia lol

So thanks for the information

Old 09-17-2008, 10:56 AM

40 posts, read 170,731 times
Quote:
NW2NOVA, didn't you like Vancouver when you lived there? I don't really get the point of the sentence you have written.

I would like you to answer me whenever you can.

Thankss
Yeah I'm from there - its a nice to place to visit (only between July and Sept) - but its a terrible place to live. It would take a very long time for me to sum it up, its not appealing at all and if you're American, stick to Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada