Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 10:15 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I watched a few episodes of "Holmes on Homes" last night. I have to admit the accents were quite thick from Mike and the others!

On the other hand, I think many Americans don't recognize Canadian accents. How many people below the 49th recognized you as Canadian when you came down here?

I don't think it is accurate to say that French-speaking Quebeckers have "French" accents. To me, that would be like saying Americans speak with English accents! Is there a more accurate term?
For the comparison to be valid, we would have to be talking about Americans speaking languages other than English, and the accent they have. I would have to give this some thought - do Americans sound different from Brits when speaking French or Spanish? Hmmm.

As for French-speaking people in Quebec, certainly in French they are not thought of as having a ''French'' accent. Their accent is very distinctive and is called Québécois or French Canadian. When speaking in English, it is also a distinctive accent when compared to that of France, although in this part of the world - including the NE US and Florida - the accent of Québécois speaking in English is what most people would call a ''French'' (sic) accent because that is the one they most often hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
What kind of accent would you say this lady has?

Genevieve Bujold on Clint Eastwood - YouTube
Definitely Québécois. Fluent and comfortable but accented English. If I go through extended periods without speaking any English my accent tends to sound a bit like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 10:53 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times
What we in the US call a "Canadian" accent can also be heard in Northern Wisconsin, the upper peninsula of Michigan and a few other areas on the Northern Border.

You can also hear Canadian French and its accent in English in some border areas of New England. The American writer Jack Kerouac, born in Lowell Mass. was of French Canadian extraction. His birth name was Jean Louis Kerouac and he spoke French-Canadian dialect called Joual until he learned English at age six, not speaking it confidently until his late teens. He wrote two of his early novels in French and began his famous work "On The Road" in the french language later rewriting it in English.

Are there any other Canadian writers who wrote in French?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
What we in the US call a "Canadian" accent can also be heard in Northern Wisconsin, the upper peninsula of Michigan and a few other areas on the Northern Border.

You can also hear Canadian French and its accent in English in some border areas of New England. The American writer Jack Kerouac, born in Lowell Mass. was of French Canadian extraction. His birth name was Jean Louis Kerouac and he spoke French-Canadian dialect called Joual until he learned English at age six, not speaking it confidently until his late teens. He wrote two of his early novels in French and began his famous work "On The Road" in the french language later rewriting it in English.

Are there any other Canadian writers who wrote in French?
There is an entire national literature that exists in French here. Here is some info on it:
Quebec literature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,181,247 times
Default Can you understand this accent?

newfoundland accent - YouTube

Lmao, is that even English?

Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
Yes, about 95% of it....maybe you have to be Canadian to understand it!

Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Regional dialects eh! love em.
Heres some mountain dialects from Appalachia Appalachian English - YouTube

Then theres Peter Mackay exhibiting another Canadian dialect Franglais.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY_G_aVt0Yg&feature=plcp

Last edited by jambo101; 08-01-2012 at 08:27 AM..

Old 08-01-2012, 08:30 AM

I can understand most of it but I have had a lot more exposure to English than most francophone Canadians.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:22 PM

395 posts, read 859,655 times
I don`t think that`s actually hard to understand, it`s the fact that it`s mid way through conversation, if you just jump into the middle of any conversation it`s a little hard to figure out what there saying.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:07 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,181,247 times
Default How do American accents sound to Canadian ears?

Would you say that they sound similar to the way Southern accents sound to the ears of non-Southern Americans?

The way I see it, there is a spectrum from north to south in American dialects, from clipped and rounded to drawly and 'oval'. The clipped/rounded sound increases with latitude and the drawly and oval sound decreases with latitude.

Would a Canadian be able to pick out the 'Americanness' of speech from a border region such as the Pacific Northwest, Upper Midwest or northern New England? Would it sound slightly drawly and tonal to their ears? Or would they not be able to distinguish it from the way a Canadian would talk?

I took a trip to Toronto four months ago and I found that the accent of people in Ohio sounded quite strange and almost 'southern' after being in Ontario for 10 days then being in Ohio on the way back home.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:30 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Yes, I can generally hear the accent of people from Northern States when I'm in them, although sometimes Americans from these states unconsciously tone down their accents when in Canada, so Northerners can often pass as Canadians, especially if they're in a city as people in cities often end up with accents closer to "American Standard". I don't know what to tell you though about how they sound to me. American accents do all seem to sound a bit more drawly, yes, although I'm not going to confuse a Vermonter with someone from the South any time soon even if he does sound different from me. I mean, my ears aren't broken, it`s the same accent you hear...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada