Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 10:39 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times

Advertisements

Pulling your leg a little. I'm a former Canuck and when I first moved to the US was told that I had a little English accent which had never really occurred too me being born in Hamilton.

After a while words will change somewhat in pronouning certain letters to a more americanized version.

Overall do believe there is no class destinction in speech patterns other then maybe a specific word uttered in drinking etc.

Yes... I would think that Canadian English is the same thruout the provinces with the exception of Quebec where the french kinda rules.

Canadian English is not the same as American English...it is more letter emphasized.

Cannot compare the English with the Kings English from England. Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 12:29 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,175 times
Canadian accents vary depending on whether they come from

1. francophone Quebec
2. the Maritimes
3. Newfoundland
4. Rural Canada
5. Urban Canada

Old 02-21-2009, 02:25 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,543 times
When I was traveling through Europe I spent some time hanging out with a group of Americans from Pennsylvania and Michigan and they had no idea I was Canadian - they thought I was just as American as they were until I told them I was from Canada - and then they thought I was joking because they said I didn't have a "Canadian accent!" I told them I basically had what could be considered a regular Canadian accent and they still thought I was putting them on somehow.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:01 AM

257 posts, read 1,444,716 times
Even in urban areas there are many who sound very rural.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:40 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
I'm interested how rural Canadians sound different to urban ones? I'm pretty ignorant of Canada especially in comparison to the US, though I've been to neither but would really like to visit both. I know someone like k.d. lang grew up in rural Alberta but I don't know if she's a good example.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:39 AM

Perhaps urban/rural is a poor example on my part. Maybe it's more accurate to say white collar/blue collar. Perhaps it's more of an indication of education and/or class than a truly urban/rural difference.

And this is by no means an official analysis or anything, just my own observations.

In my experience, if you head into the smaller towns where the major industries are natural resources (mining, forestry, etc) - the people, especially men, really have that low-brow sounding Canadian accent which people think is somehow a standard Canadian accent.

"So me and this buddy, eh... we were heading down to the pub eh, when ol' Billy tore down the road in his pickup."

It's like a real working man's speech. You still hear it in the cities, maybe from the construction workers, the guys working in factories, the guys having a beer at a roadside pub, but you don't hear it so much from, say, marketing executives, or teachers, or the local art school kids. You hear it from the welders, from the mechanics, etc. They also have a tendency to pronounce about like "a-boat". (Aboot is seriously not what it sounds like - their pronunciation sounds like a-boat).

There's a show on CBC called the Week the Women Went. Last year they filmed it in a small Albertan town called Hardisty. If you're looking to hear rural Albertan accents, there you go:

The Week the Women Went | CBC Television

This year they're filming it in Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia in the Maritimes. If you want to hear rural Nova Scotian accents, here you go:

The Week the Women Went | CBC Television

I guess back to the intial question of Vancouver accents, if you've ever heard Pamela Anderson, Seth Rogan, Joshua Jackson, Michael Bublé, Nelly Furtado, Sarah McLachlan, or David Suzuki speak, then that is the typical Vancouver accent.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:36 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,100,717 times
Wow! Robynator, thank you for your wonderfully detailed and flavoured explanation. And I love the links. I'll save them. Thanks again!

Old 02-21-2009, 12:47 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,100,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
When I was traveling through Europe I spent some time hanging out with a group of Americans from Pennsylvania and Michigan and they had no idea I was Canadian - they thought I was just as American as they were until I told them I was from Canada - and then they thought I was joking because they said I didn't have a "Canadian accent!" I told them I basically had what could be considered a regular Canadian accent and they still thought I was putting them on somehow.
While it's true that folks close to the 49th Parallel on either side seem to sound somewhat similar, I must apologize for my fellow Americans and their typical limited, insular knowledge. In general, Americans are taught and shown nothing about opening their ears, let alone their minds, to anything outside of their country. Well, that was before our new president and his enhanced horizons... Americans might learn something in the next four years about the limitlessness of the horizons of the human spirit...

Old 02-21-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Wow! Robynator, thank you for your wonderfully detailed and flavoured explanation. And I love the links. I'll save them. Thanks again!
Why thank you allforcats!

The Week The Women Went is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, can't you tell?

Old 02-21-2009, 10:31 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post

I guess back to the intial question of Vancouver accents, if you've ever heard Pamela Anderson, Seth Rogan, Joshua Jackson, Michael Bublé, Nelly Furtado, Sarah McLachlan, or David Suzuki speak, then that is the typical Vancouver accent.
Thanks, very enlightening! I do know what you mean about the strong Canadian accent, a bit like on the Canadian Club ads, eh? lol...And for those people you mentioned...I'm ashamed to admit I didn't even know any of them was Canadian, apart from David Suzuki, who sounds a bit Canadian, and Pamela Anderson, who I thought sounded American since she had lived in California so long. Maybe I didn't listen closely but I can't detect any Canadian in the speech of those people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada