Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
Sorry I wasnt clear, I meant when Quebec francophones speak english (dont know about French)..at least I notice this.
Yes, there is a big difference when speaking in English. It is certainly an accented speech but likely closer to proper English. For example the English ''th'' sound is generally a ''D'' when said by French Canadians, but somewhere between a ''z'' and an ''s'' by people in France.

Dis eez de house

vs

Zees eez ze house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, there is a big difference when speaking in English. It is certainly an accented speech but likely closer to proper English. For example the English ''th'' sound is generally a ''D'' when said by French Canadians, but somewhere between a ''z'' and an ''s'' by people in France.

Dis eez de house

vs

Zees eez ze house
yupp that sounds about right

Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:

Dis eez de house

vs

Zees eez ze house

You mean Quebeckers don't talk like this?!

Pepe' Le Pew - The Cats Bah 1954 Hilarious! - YouTube

Old 02-06-2013, 11:35 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:

Dis eez de house

vs

Zees eez ze house
Tunder for thunder.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:54 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Francophone Canadians also tend to omit the H when there is one, but add one where there is none.

You don't hunderstand - I want to go to the 'ospital.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Francophone Canadians also tend to omit the H when there is one, but add one where there is none.

You don't hunderstand - I want to go to the 'ospital.
My mother was from Quebec City but I grew up in Vancouver. I didn't even know she had an accent until elementary school when one of my friends pointed it out. I actually had trouble saying certain english words at first, like iron, tiger, and negative.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:48 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Quote:
To the best of my knowledge French from france do not pronounce their r's...
Oh lordy, you obviously never heard French spoken.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:25 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Oh lordy, you obviously never heard French spoken.
sue me...maybe they do...but its not even close to as pronounced to my ears as North Americans

Old 02-08-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
sue me...maybe they do...but its not even close to as pronounced to my ears as North Americans
It is pronounced differently, but it is everywhere in French. I don't think Geography Freak was intentionally being rude, but just surprised as I was that someone would think that the French don't pronounce their " r's ".
After all, there is an " r " in their country's name that is pronounced. This clip explains it a bit more.
It's not easy to pronounce at first, that's for sure.

Pronouncing the French / r / --additional exercices - YouTube

Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 PM

395 posts, read 859,134 times
I don`t buy that french and english didn`t have a an exchange of pronunciation over the last few hundred years.

Most languages tend to mimic their neighbors in some way or another. Even if they languages are not remotely related.

There something about quebec french, and canadian english, that share something in terms of intonation or something.

If I had better ears I`d be able to point it out but unfortunately I don`t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada