Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 07:09 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Does the Prince Edward Island accent resemble the "Newfie" accent?
No it doesn't. Every Maritime area has its own distinct sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 11:25 PM

314 posts, read 486,927 times
I live in Oregon in a beach tourist town & work at a retreat center. I'm originally from California. In the summer we get a LOT of Canadians, mostly from BC but we get a fair share from Alberta. I met so many from Canada last summer that I can now pick out and correctly guess if someone is Canadian or not. I used to only think it was Canadians from Eastern Canada that sounded different, but if you know what to look for they stand out like a pro-cession of knives from A to Zed. A Canadian (not all of them, but many) will ask me while I'm working the directions to "the washroom." If you listen for the "OA" sounds it is a pure dead-giveaway in the way that eh is. Yes, they do use eh. The Minnesota-Dakotas accent is slightly different. I can tell the difference, but sometimes you'll have to ask if they are Canadian or from MN/ND/SD. I can usually tell the MN and Dakotas accent because it sounds almost Canadian but different.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:06 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
I like this Canadian accent. Very warm and comforting!

Genevieve Bujold of Still at the Toronto International Film Festival 2012 - YouTube

Old 03-28-2013, 12:27 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,164 times
Gentlemen and Ladies, the very best English speaking voice came out of the Welsh valleys.
Here he is playing the part of the journalist in the LP/CD War of the Worlds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEWRqMCxza0

Old 03-28-2013, 09:47 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,011 times
Ummm....

"I'm not bashing you guys, but I don't like the way you talk. You sound bland, you sound strange, and you talk like robots."

I'm sorry. How is that not bashing? What an arsehole.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Ummm....

"I'm not bashing you guys, but I don't like the way you talk. You sound bland, you sound strange, and you talk like robots."

I'm sorry. How is that not bashing? What an arsehole.
do you say 'arsehole' with a rhotic accent? LOL

Old 03-29-2013, 11:28 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,011 times
It wouldn't let me type assh*le

Old 03-29-2013, 11:54 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,454,360 times
I had a couple British Columbians down here for a week just recently and learned a new Canadianism. (One is originally a Yukoner so it might be a Western Canadianism but isn't just limited to BC.) They rhymed 'garage' with 'fair haj', accent on the first syllable.

To me, telling most Canadians apart from Michiganders, Sconnies, Minnesotans and Nodaks is always a fun challenge because of the similar vowels. I tend to go by the intonation and the more clipped Canadian word endings. It's actually very funny. Was at Zion National Park watching bighorn, and a couple stopped with Nevada plates. I ran to their window to let them know the sheep were close (to discourage noise that might spook them...a favor to them, since bighorn are not that common at all to see and I wanted them to get to enjoy them). While watching, we talked quietly. After three sentences, I said to them, "So where in Canada are you from?" The wife looked both bemused and rueful. "Is it that obvious?"

I've never heard a Canadian say 'aboot,' except when lecturing me how we all accuse them of saying 'aboot' and how wrong it is. I have heard very, very many say 'aboat.' A lot don't say 'eh' (except when lecturing me about how they don't say it and how wrong I supposedly am, when I haven't even expressed a position on the topic...Canadians can be the absolute kings of the pre-emptive strike on cultural issues), but quite a few do. Many will try not to say it in front of people from the States, because they are sick of being kidded about it; a few will brandish it as if to say "Yes, I am Canadian, I expect crap from you, but my name is Joe and I AM CANADIAN! Take that!" Others might say it when they are comfortable with Americans, if they say it to begin with. Still others, likely many, just never think about it.

Last edited by j_k_k; 03-29-2013 at 12:24 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 05:50 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
Is this accent on the wane in Canada?

Avro CF-100 Canuck Part 1 - YouTube

Old 04-22-2013, 12:06 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,774,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is this accent on the wane in Canada?

Avro CF-100 Canuck Part 1 - YouTube
That just sounds like old time dictation style to me.

BTW, I think the Bob and Doug McKenzie accent is somewhat of a hoax. It sounds almost like a bad Geordie accent or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada