Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,119,088 times

Advertisements

the Canadian accent sounds a little like how Native Americans speak, there is a low flat cadence with strong emphasis on vowels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
the Canadian accent sounds a little like how Native Americans speak, there is a low flat cadence with strong emphasis on vowels.
Yes I find Native Americans (or First Nations, I should say) have stronger accents than white Canadians do. I wonder why this is. Maybe the indigenous languages had more of an influence on the speech patterns of the white people in Canada?

I think Canadian dialect is mostly a mix of Scottish, northern English and French though with a bit of posh SE English.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
That just sounds like old time dictation style to me.

BTW, I think the Bob and Doug McKenzie accent is somewhat of a hoax. It sounds almost like a bad Geordie accent or something.
No, it's real, pretty prevalent in alot of areas of Northern Ontario. Kate Beirness, who's a well known sportscaster on TSN, has a pretty typical example:

TSN anchors Kate Beirness and Darren Dutchyshen in Wallaceburg.wmv - YouTube

Old 05-01-2013, 03:57 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,800 times
Yes Montreal definitely has "ethnic" accents spoken by native speakers of English. I can recognize a Montreal Jewish accent.

Irwin Cotler for example:

Irwin Cotler Responds to Offensive Remarks - Irwin Cotler répond aux propos offensants - YouTube

Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,800 times
I think "Canadian-ness" is more of pronounced in smaller towns and in the north than in major cities, but there's a pretty dominant accent that spread from Ontario west to BC.

There are some regional varities: most notably in the Maritimes and Newfoundland, but also among ethnic groups in Montreal. For instance I can recognize a Montreal Jewish accent. There's also the Ottawa Valley twang in Renfrew County.

It makes sense that it would have originated in Upstate New York and Pennsylvania but got mixed in English and Scottish in the early 19th century.

Ontarians were a large group in Manitoba (and the dominant group - I believe every Manitoba premier was Ontario-born until Ed Schreyer) so it makes sense that it left an impact there. Saskatchewan got far less direct migration from Ontario - they were greatly outnumbered by continental Europeans but what could have been an interesting linguistic soup of Volga Germans, Ukrainians and Scandinavians didn't seem to leave a mark....there doesn't seem to be a Saskatchewan accent for example. Alberta was largely settled by Americans and BC had a lot of Brits but they don't speak any differently from Ontarians as far as I can tell. Both provinces of course have a lot of people born in other provinces.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:28 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
This Band member had a good accent:

Rick Danko - YouTube

Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 PM

6 posts, read 10,217 times
I think it came from France

Old 05-08-2013, 03:01 PM

196 posts, read 424,580 times
LOL at this thread.

There is no Canadian accent per se, as the accents are different across the country.

This being said, when I was at Disney World, one clerk said "I can guess where you're from".

I said "OK, tell me"

He said, "You're either from Canada or Minnesota".

I howled when I heard this. He's obviously never met a Newfoundlander, or a Quebecer.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:50 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And then there are some where it is the American spelling that is generalized in Canada: like generalized(!), authorized, categorize, plow, curb, aluminium... the British versions are only very rarely seen in Canada.
In the U.S., "aluminium" is spelled "aluminum". Do Canadians pronounce it like the British do?

Old 05-17-2013, 10:52 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,878,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
In the U.S., "aluminium" is spelled "aluminum". Do Canadians pronounce it like the British do?
no its pronounced alu-minum not alomin-ium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada