Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 06:51 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,823 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I think having an Aussie accent might be a nice segway into making friends and meeting people, as people will hear your accent and comment on it, opening up a chance for conversation. Smiles also work wonders But I don't think you should be too intimidated by Toronto. It does have this reputation for being a difficult city to make friends in, and that may be the case for some, but if you're a nice person who likes people and wants to make good friends, then I think you'll be able to without too much trouble. Of course, you have to have a venue of some sort for meeting people - the workplace, school, hobbies that you can do in a group setting, etc - and a bit of an outgoing person, as I've found that Torontonians can be a bit reserved, but they open right up if you give them a chance. Just make sure you make good friends, and don't settle for the first people that come along and give you the time of day. I've learned the hard way that bad friends are bad for the soul. I hope your move works out good and that you love living here. You can always post here for advice or information if you need. The regular Toronto posters are very helpful and knowledgeable people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,535 times
Guy here - If I could pick an accent that would help pick up girls, Irish would be first, and Australian would be second. But really it depends on outgoing you are, etc. You'll be fine if you think you'll be fine.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,600,101 times
I don't know how you look or what your personality is like but an Aussie accent will be a great differentiator that will score you lots of points. Don't be too concerned about the 'coldness'. All girls are the same once you get to know them but Canadians are just more quieter or reserved on the whole compared to Americans and even Australians as a personality trait. Just have a good attitude and you should do well.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:34 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,777,471 times
Most Canadians sound like Americans but just a bit more posh, but some people in Northern Ontario and other more remote parts of the country lean towards sounding like this:

Cheryl Cole Talks About JLS X factor 2008 - YouTube

Old 08-20-2013, 10:42 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,777,471 times
Of course, Eastern Canada is more like this, totally different

Speak with an Irish Accent - YouTube

Old 08-20-2013, 11:24 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Funny guy. (Last two posts.)

Old 08-20-2013, 07:45 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
You know I feel pretty good when I go to Canada. I come from NYC born and raised and I know I speak with a heavy accent.
but so far so good. Nobody has said anything about my 'accent!' Even if I start spouting a little French too. Maybe I should take it as a compliment??? Or are Canadians just too polite to me, eh???......;-).. In contrast when I was in England one guy said hey you really sound like a 'hood!'. Yikes! That made me self-conscious.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:46 AM

909 posts, read 1,153,846 times
Does the American and Canadian accents have a bigger difference from each other than the New Zealand and Australian accents?

Old 10-22-2013, 05:41 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
Would you say this young lady has a thick accent?

Billy Kidd Does Magic with her Monkey - YouTube

Old 10-26-2013, 02:56 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,300,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Does the American and Canadian accents have a bigger difference from each other than the New Zealand and Australian accents?
Yes. Most people don't realize that the Southern accent has the largest group of speakers in the US, and the Great Lakes, and Northeastern accents sound distinct from the typical Canadian accent. But I can still pick out a New Zealand accent from an Australian accent. Aussie sounds more nasally to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada