Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 12:24 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,329 times

Advertisements

I was watching the TV program Vegas flipping .

I can't seem to pick out where the accents from , but that water guy ( city inspector) I think has Canadian accent.Not sure .But he sounds like some older people in Canada or by the grate lakes in the US.

Anyone know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ANr17WW_3I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 01:19 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
Younger Canadians do have accents, they're just more diluted. They definitely still say eh though. Thank God for that eh!

Old 11-13-2013, 01:32 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,095,203 times
People from the American shores of the Great Lakes don't sound Canadian to me at all. Maybe to Americans from other parts of the states they do, but not to me as a Canadian.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
People from the American shores of the Great Lakes don't sound Canadian to me at all. Maybe to Americans from other parts of the states they do, but not to me as a Canadian.

It was census here a lot of people that live close to the grate lakes sound alike a cross the border.

That guys in that video does not sound American.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:34 PM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
It was census here a lot of people that live close to the grate lakes sound alike a cross the border.

That guys in that video does not sound American.
Are you talking about the video with the border guard? He's across the border from Fort Frances, though. That's not really the standard "Great Lakes" accent, is it?

Last edited by pdw; 11-16-2013 at 06:09 PM..

Old 11-16-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Are you talking about the video with the border guard? He's across the border from Fort Frances, though. That's not really the standard "Great Lakes" accent, is it?
No the water guy ( city inspector ) he does not sound American.He sounds like he is from Canada or bay be Greet Lakes.

0:49 to 3:20

I don't hear people in the US with that accent.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:31 PM
pdw

Quote:
No the water guy ( city inspector ) he does not sound American.He sounds like he is from Canada or bay be Greet Lakes.

Definitely not Canadian. The way he pronounces the word "hose" is a dead give-away that he's not Canadian to me. He also says "abowt" like an American. The only Canadians that I've heard pronounce about like that are Newfoundlanders.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:02 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,647 times
Quote:

the inspector did sound a little Canadian but agree with previous poster when he got to "out" and "hose" that he isn't.
spent time in Canada long enough to know the differences.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
That's not really the standard "Great Lakes" accent, is it?
Actually all words containing the [au] sound are pronounced with something like [u] in Canadian English, for example: about, house, out, crown, plow...

Canadians pronounce their "ou" sound differently than Americans. They also tend to use the exclamation "eh" and to use words that Americans don't. They say the last letter in the alphabet as "zed" and we say it as "zee," for instance.

You can usually tell a Canadian speaker within a few minutes just because of the difference in the "ou" and [au] like about, house, out, crown, plow

People in the US use "ow" sound for words with "ou".

Also slightly different "a" sound in words like can't, past, dad, etc. It often, though not always, sounds a bit closer to "ah" than the general american "aa." Also whereas the American pronunciation of the "o" in words like god, not, lot, tends to be "ah" (i.e. "gahd," "naht," "laht),

tuque: a woollen hat (a more general term than the Aussie "beanie")

loonie: a one-dollar coin (so named because of the loon on the tail side)

toonie: a two-dollar coin ("two" + "loonie").

Quote:
Quote:
Definitely not Canadian. The way he pronounces the word "hose" is a dead give-away that he's not Canadian to me. He also says "abowt" like an American. The only Canadians that I've heard pronounce about like that are Newfoundlanders.
May be he is french?

Old 11-16-2013, 11:55 PM

I don't here any difference in about ,out , house or hose in these two videos .Than that guy. It sounds the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILg7yyb0sek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kpk9zF2RMo

Those accents in Storage Wars Canada sound very fake.I'm sure other Canadian's can point out some of the words use in that show that is different .But it sounds very fake for show trying to make Toronto sound more drama for show.

The show Storage Wars Canada seem to be mostly in southern Ontario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada