Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 04:18 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Somebody had to bring it up, seriously. Saskatchewan's capital city has a pronunciation that has an uncanny rhyme to a word that I would imagine makes adolescents and adults alike all over Canada chuckle at once in a while. For appropriate content lets just say it sounds like angina, but you know what I'm getting at. Why the hell do they pronounce it like that and not the like female name?
Maybe only the really sophomoric ones, who think fart jokes are the epitome of humour.
I never gave it a second thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 02:53 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Point of order! Houston as pronounced by the natives is U-stun. Similar to the local's pronunciation of Trawna for the city on Lake Ontario with the giant penis building and the urinal shaped city hall.
Well, a Texas business contact, with whom I did a lot of business, lived in Houston and would pronounce it either "Hyooston" or "U-ston." The latter occurred mainly after he had had a few drinks, but I'll defer to your pronunciation.

Your point about Toronto is valid, but as one who lived for 40+ years in the Centre of the Universe (tongue firmly in cheek), I heard many pronunciations. Among them:

Trawna.
Trawnda.
Taronna.
Taronda.
Toe-ron-toe (spoken slowly and heard mainly from Americans)
Tarawda.

And of course, the shortcuts:

T.O. (Pronounced "TEE-oh." Not to be confused with Terrell Owens, and it was ours first anyway.)
T-Dot. (I don't know where this came from, but it exists.)
Hogtown. (I finally understood this one after visiting St. Clair Avenue East on business.)
GTA. (This way, residents of Stouffville, Pickering, Markham, and Oakville can also feel a part of T.O.)

Of course, the best-known Toronto street is Yonge Street, which for some reason, is pronounced "Young."

As I said, local pronunciation rules regardless of the spelling.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:20 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
For those of you keeping score at home...

Mexia - Ma-haya Ancestral home of Anna Nicole Smith
Seguin - Se-geen City just outside San Antonio
Kuykendahl - Kirk-n-dall One of Houston's founding Fathers, and a major road

Old 10-14-2014, 04:51 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
For those of you keeping score at home...

Mexia - Ma-haya Ancestral home of Anna Nicole Smith
Seguin - Se-geen City just outside San Antonio
Kuykendahl - Kirk-n-dall One of Houston's founding Fathers, and a major road
Pueblo of Jemez (Walatowa, pronounced / he m?s/), a sovereign nation located in Sandoval County, New Mexico
Madrid New Mexico - pronounced MAD-rid

Old 10-14-2014, 04:56 PM

279 posts, read 356,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Madrid New Mexico - pronounced MAD-rid
Quaint little town, with a great bar I believe Hog Wild was filmed in ...

They schooled us quickly on it's pronunciation!

Old 11-03-2014, 06:32 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Niagara Falls, NY

Old 11-03-2014, 07:23 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,151 times
The Rust Belt Cities had several vowel changes that make their English sound different from Canadian English and Upper Midwest English. Therefore Northern Minnesota and Californian English probably sound the most like Canadian English.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:16 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,227,638 times
California

Old 11-03-2014, 08:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
My best friend grew up in British Columbia, and lives there still. A long term live-in boyfriend of mine was from Minnesota. When I saw your thread title, my first thought was - Minnesota.

I would imagine there are different accents in Canada, as there are in the states. So, perhaps that will influence people's answers.

But, being born and raised in CA, I don't think of a California accent first, when I think of Canadians.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:46 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
It depends on what part of Canada. Like the U.S., not all Canadians have the same accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada