Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2014, 01:47 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,773,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
No.

Seriously, why is a Canadian accent of such interest to Americans?
The OP is Canadian not American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 02:06 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,835,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
^^I've actually begun correcting my speech to include 'aboots' and 'Canadian raisings.' I wouldn't want to disappoint anyone.
Good for you, netwit. Have the last laugh!

Old 11-27-2014, 03:38 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Which OP would that be? There's probably a dozen OPs in this combined thread.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:59 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Ditto what Netwit said .... which OP? This topic was started 7 years ago by somebody who is no longer a forum member and never had a location listed on their profile. During the past 7 years it has had literally dozens of new "Canadian Accent" topics merged with it because the Canada forum was getting inundated with topics about Canadian pronunciation being different from American pronunciation.

The majority of original posters who have started each new topic that's gotten merged with this one have been Americans who apparently aren't capable of comprehending the 'Sticky' at the top of the Canada forum. Canadians rarely enquire about how people from other countries pronounce words and couldn't care less about how other Canadians talk. It's a non-issue for Canadians but it is obviously an obsessive fascination for many Americans and many of them are truly distressed about it.

I know that not all Americans are concerned about Canadian speech but I do think that the numerous Americans who are so fixated and clearly distressed with Canadian speech have got some kind of mental health problem.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:23 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,835,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
While a certain type of older crowd does like it, they're far from forming a majority or even a plurality of oldsters.
I don't know how I missed this earlier. You calling people over the age of 30 "oldsters," punk?

I'm over 40, and I'm still a youngster. Capisce?

Old 11-28-2014, 02:04 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollypop73 View Post
Most people find the Paul Dean accent amusing too. But Canadian can be just as strong as southern. The way you guys say your vowels "oooat" "abooat" ect. is very interesting and if you don 't mind me saying.. Cute. The Canadian Accent has real sweet, childlike quality to it ( maybe childlike Is't the right word?). But there is something inherently sweet about it. It makes me chuckle and smile in delight at the same time.
Got anything else other than ooat and abooat? Glad we childlike Canadians bring amusement to your life We are a very generous society and delight in bringing amusement to Americans with so little effort....

Old 11-28-2014, 02:18 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Oh for crying out loud - S/he's is back again with the same old dead give-away patronizing platitudes of "should be flattered", "cute", "childlike", "charming", "delightful", "sweet", "makes me smile". How many times have we heard these exact same broken-record words from the same person under each new persona?

Jambo and everyone else, please don't feed the sock puppet!

Old 11-30-2014, 10:02 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I don't know how I missed this earlier. You calling people over the age of 30 "oldsters," punk?

I'm over 40, and I'm still a youngster. Capisce?
Yes'm.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:14 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,773,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Which OP would that be? There's probably a dozen OPs in this combined thread.
Whetever, it doesn't really matter.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:22 PM

281 posts, read 327,202 times
Torontonian's don't really have an accent compared to the rest of the country. Just drive a half hour east to Oshawa and you can definitely pick up the accent. The further you get from Toronto the stronger the accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada