Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 09:49 PM

6 posts, read 6,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
"dollar" pronounced "doe-ler"
"process" pronounced "proe-cess"
Another one is "aboot" for about - I totally say this all the time! We all say it I find

Also another stereotype is aboot.. I mean about.. Our obsession with America! We absolutely have one. It comes from our inferiority complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 09:53 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,418,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix25 View Post
Another one is "aboot" for about - I totally say this all the time! We all say it I find

Also another stereotype is aboot.. I mean about.. Our obsession with America! We absolutely have one. It comes from our inferiority complex.

You know you completely outted yourself right here, yeah? lol

Anyhow, nice to see you again.

And to the rest of you, I can't believe you didn't see this coming! For shame! For shaaaaaaame!

Old 04-06-2015, 11:28 PM

6 posts, read 6,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
You know you completely outted yourself right here, yeah? lol

Anyhow, nice to see you again.

And to the rest of you, I can't believe you didn't see this coming! For shame! For shaaaaaaame!
Cat and MOOOASE game. Naive people always come for the cheese walking into the trap...

Old 04-06-2015, 11:41 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,471,538 times
Here's one every Canuck should be proud of.....................

Canadians question authority and ask why is our government doing this

Take off eh!

Old 04-07-2015, 12:00 AM

3,623 posts, read 3,403,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix25 View Post
You may, but I don't. It's Americans who hear "aboot." Many Canadians (but not all) will admit that they pronounce "about" differently from many Americans (but not all); however, I've never heard a Canadian willing to admit that they say "aboot." Since you admit that you say "aboot," you must not be Canadian.

So, logic tells me that you are not Canadian. Magnatomicflux may be correct when he suggests that you are our resident "Canadian accent" troll.

Now, what role does TwinbrookNine play in this? He's never posted in the Canada forum before; but a check of his posting history indicates that when he does post, it's in complete sentences, starting with capital letters and ending in periods, unlike his tonight about "doe-lar" and such. That post, in this thread, just doesn't match with his posting history, in other words. He does take months-long hiatuses from the boards; and the most recent coincided with the rise of "Canadian accent" posts on the boards.

Not going beyond that, but I will say, hmm. As Led Zeppelin sang, "Ooh, and it makes me wonder." It makes me wonder indeed.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:23 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,109 times
Default Quirks of the BC accent

One thing I've noticed is that British Columbians often pronounce the word "right" like "reet" or "rate" (maybe it's the Scottish/North England influence?). Also, Vancouver is called "Vangcouver", which is kinda funny since it sounds sort of Chinese.

Do you think the BC accent is different from the Ontario accent at all, or pretty much the same?

Old 04-17-2015, 02:06 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,207 times
I'm not Canadian nor a linguist but they pronounce words like "right" sounding to US ears like "rate" or "reet" because of Canadian raising. They certainly say "alright" different from Americans and that was one of the words that stood out to me as sounding different. Many Americans say it almost like "aah-right" with the 'l' almost not even pronounced. Canadians to my ears say it like "ahl-rate" or at least the "r" & ending "t" sounded harder.

I may be wrong but I doubt that there is much variation in their accent across the country unlike the US or the UK where the accents can change in a few hours.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:28 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I'm not Canadian nor a linguist but they pronounce words like "right" sounding to US ears like "rate" or "reet" because of Canadian raising. They certainly say "alright" different from Americans and that was one of the words that stood out to me as sounding different. Many Americans say it almost like "aah-right" with the 'l' almost not even pronounced. Canadians to my ears say it like "ahl-rate" or at least the "r" & ending "t" sounded harder.

I may be wrong but I doubt that there is much variation in their accent across the country unlike the US or the UK where the accents can change in a few hours.
Yeah you ever hear "aight" a lot in the US, though that's kind of slangy. I've never heard that in Canada, if anyone does say it like that they're probably just hip hop wannabes haha.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:01 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowlingpin View Post
Canadians definitely say some variant of "aboot". Every Canadian I've ever met says this yet claims they don't and it's only the newfies blah blah blah.
And every first time poster without a life jumps on here to resurrect this tired silly, innocuous, infantile, facile, meme aboot Canadians and their inflection in a long dead (2009..really?) and buried thread, after wasting a bit of time cruising with the search engine to find anything they think would suffice for fishing while in a slowly moving boat..

Gads; life is passing you by child. It's a beautiful day , get outside and play with your friends, oh.......well, then perhaps put some effort into making some......?

Old 05-23-2015, 12:21 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowlingpin View Post
Why do Canadians get so upset when you mention their accents? I have never seem a people with so much shame over how they speak. Canadians absolutely DO say aboot, why deny it??
You watch too much South Park! Nobody says aboot, it's more like aboat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada