Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 06:55 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
They do with "Canadian content" laws.
Which most Canadians constantly try to circumvent in their cultural consumption habits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 06:57 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If it bothers Canadians that much then they should create their own entertainment industry and support it, instead of piggybacking on someone else's and then constantly begging for attention like Chester the terrier does with Spike the bulldog.
Someone has to say it.

Unlike Quebec's entertainment industry, which has pretty much a free rein, because it is in French, and French-Canadians deserve something that is available to them in ther own language. I do admire French-Canadians' efforts in creating a vibrant and popular culture, that appeals to all French-Canadians. But English Canadian TV broadcast entertainment--to put it plainly--sucks.

The CBC tells all of us who do not have the privilege of living in downtown Toronto or Montreal how underprivileged we are, and then tells us how to behave. "Little Mosque on the Prairie" had to have been a Toronto invention because according to it, we in the west could not possibly understand the Islamic faith, and needed instruction. But it was an insult to those of us in western Canada; it treated us like we were a bunch of dumb hicks who simply could not handle "Mooslims" in our midst. Fact is, we have plenty of Muslims in our midst, we have mosques, and Muslims are our friends and neighbours, as they are in Toronto. Of course, the CBC never bothered to ask western Canadians how well this concept would go over; it played well in Toronto, but it was hated out here.

AJ, if you want English-Canada to develop its own entertainment industry, then I would suggest a couple of things:

-- The government stops supporting the arts on an international/national scale. Right now, it seems that government support goes to what the government likes, and what it tends to like is not what the people want. (The people like "Die Hard," but translated to Canadian and supported by government, it involves a hockey player, who speaks French, and who asks a Native friend to use a skate blade to kill Hans. Or something equally silly.) The free market would produce something like "Night Heat," which was a Canadian CTV production without Canadian references--and yet, managed to get sold to CBS in the United States. Oh, and "Night Heat" had no Canadian government support, as far as I am aware. How many CBC-produced shows about Toronto stockbrokers or lawyers got sold in the US?

-- The government continues to support the arts on a smaller scale, and encourages them across the country. This is how we develop talent. I have heard and seen, for example, some extraordinary talents in Lethbridge, Alberta. If they are good enough--and I think they are--then why are they not walking the boards in Toronto? Any government support should go towards developing talent such as we find in Lethbridge, and not shoving "Canadian content" (i.e. Mounties, French, Natives, igloos, hockey, Tim Hortons, etc.) down our throats.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:12 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
If it bothers Canadians that much then they should create their own entertainment industry and support it, instead of piggybacking on someone else's and then constantly begging for attention like Chester the terrier does with Spike the bulldog.
Why should we create an entirely native Canadian content entertainment industry? You are saying that not me. Personally i'm fine with the cornucopia of entertainment options I have. For those who aren't fine with it they can create it themselves.. Don't assume you know everything there is to know about English Canadians. I never do that about French Canadians - never have never will. I certainly don't judge like you always seem to do. If anyone usually brings up the lack of a strong English Canadian culture A/J - you'd be in the front of the line wagging your finger and saying tsk tsk, not the rest of us so called 'begging' for attention whatever that is supposed to mean.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-15-2016 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-15-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Honest question. You've travelled around the world and so have I.

Do you think that Canada feels as Canadian as Indonesia feels Indonesian, as the US feels American, as Germany feels German, as Venezuela feels Venezuelan, as Britain feels British?
In an overall general sense, i'm very happy to be a Canadian.. Its home to me and I love living here. I'm not even a big hockey fan!! Do I feel Canadian - yes. Do I feel more or less than someone else in another country, you'll have to ask them. If you or someone else doesn't feel Canadian what can I do about that? I'm telling you i'm happy with things and you or someone else tells me they aren't.. Ok well is the onus on me to infer what I personally need to do to make you happy or is it up to YOU to take that path. The only thing Canadians who are happy about being Canadian and who feel Canadian can do for those who don't is to offer help where possible. Sometimes it just isn't and all some people will do is complain yet do little or nothing to actually change or influence change with those things.

I can say in some other countries regional pride is VERY strong and can easily trump national pride.. Spain is a good example, All it takes is a trip to Madrid and Barcelona and that difference is stark.. Thailand - yellow/red shirts etc etc.. Indonesia - don't even get me started - The UK - Marois and Salmond got along famously (sort of) I heard.

Guess what i'm doing in a few week AJ? I'm going to a presentation featuring Margaret Atwood examining gay human rights issues in my city and country.. I balance my Canadian experience with external experiences rather nicely! I have plenty of choice in options - i'm not complaining.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-15-2016 at 11:22 AM..

Old 05-15-2016, 10:29 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Someone has to say it.

Unlike Quebec's entertainment industry, which has pretty much a free rein, because it is in French, and French-Canadians deserve something that is available to them in ther own language. I do admire French-Canadians' efforts in creating a vibrant and popular culture, that appeals to all French-Canadians. But English Canadian TV broadcast entertainment--to put it plainly--sucks.

The CBC tells all of us who do not have the privilege of living in downtown Toronto or Montreal how underprivileged we are, and then tells us how to behave. "Little Mosque on the Prairie" had to have been a Toronto invention because according to it, we in the west could not possibly understand the Islamic faith, and needed instruction. But it was an insult to those of us in western Canada; it treated us like we were a bunch of dumb hicks who simply could not handle "Mooslims" in our midst. Fact is, we have plenty of Muslims in our midst, we have mosques, and Muslims are our friends and neighbours, as they are in Toronto. Of course, the CBC never bothered to ask western Canadians how well this concept would go over; it played well in Toronto, but it was hated out here.

I completely agree with this comment. Little mosque on the prairie was full of bull**** stereotypes and cliches, not about Muslims but about everyone else. This show, along with the rick mercer show are possibly the worst shows I have ever seen in my life.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Someone has to say it.

AJ, if you want English-Canada to develop its own entertainment industry, then I would suggest a couple of things:

-- The government stops supporting the arts on an international/national scale. Right now, it seems that government support goes to what the government likes, and what it tends to like is not what the people want. (The people like "Die Hard," but translated to Canadian and supported by government, it involves a hockey player, who speaks French, and who asks a Native friend to use a skate blade to kill Hans. Or something equally silly.) The free market would produce something like "Night Heat," which was a Canadian CTV production without Canadian references--and yet, managed to get sold to CBS in the United States. Oh, and "Night Heat" had no Canadian government support, as far as I am aware. How many CBC-produced shows about Toronto stockbrokers or lawyers got sold in the US?

-- The government continues to support the arts on a smaller scale, and encourages them across the country. This is how we develop talent. I have heard and seen, for example, some extraordinary talents in Lethbridge, Alberta. If they are good enough--and I think they are--then why are they not walking the boards in Toronto? Any government support should go towards developing talent such as we find in Lethbridge, and not shoving "Canadian content" (i.e. Mounties, French, Natives, igloos, hockey, Tim Hortons, etc.) down our throats.
In defence of Toronto, Zarqa Nawaz the creator of Little Mosque on the Prairie - she was born in Liverpool UK, raised in Toronto and resides in Regina. Of course, Toronto will get all the blame lol..... Aside for the blame everything on Toronto bend I do agree with the rest of what you say about giving Canadians content they actually want to watch and being more inclusive to the realities of all Canadians instead of stereotypes. I think those groups have a role to play in saying - HEY we're not like that and we don't approve! Get involved instead of blaming it all on Toronto, the CBC or the Government.

Can't blame Trailer Park boys on Toronto. It is a TV mockumentary but it was created by Mike Clattenburg who is a native of Cole Harbor.. God bless him for not centring his universe on another place! Degrassi is all Toronto but its supposed to be so all good there.

Personally, I do consume some of what CBC dishes out and enjoy some of its content. Shoot me!!! Yes i'm from Toronto but CBC does do some good docs in particular and no - generally they don't suck so when I watch Canadian content it is that but I watch some CBC TV shows as well regularly along with American and International one's.. OMG the imbalance is killing me here - I feel less 'Canadian'

Last edited by fusion2; 05-15-2016 at 11:05 AM..

Old 05-15-2016, 10:51 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Ever wonder why?
Lots of reasons. Proximity. Knowledge of US culture. Connections Canadians make while working on US productions here in Canada. The Market south is huge and tempting etc. It's much easier for an English Canadian to slip in under the radar. Lose the accent and you're good to go.

Just about every singer/actor in the world emulates or tries to get to " Hollywood ". Look at the latest Eurovision songs. All American pop really. Most sing in English, or a mix.

Hollywood is a myriad of people from all over the world. Always has been. Canadians working there is not a slight on Canadian culture, otherwise the same could be said of even Britain, starting with Charlie Chaplin actor wise.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Lots of reasons. Proximity. Knowledge of US culture. Connections Canadians make while working on US productions here in Canada. The Market south is huge and tempting etc. It's much easier for an English Canadian to slip in under the radar. Lose the accent and you're good to go.

Just about every singer/actor in the world emulates or tries to get to " Hollywood ". Look at the latest Eurovision songs. All American pop really. Most sing in English, or a mix.

Hollywood is a myriad of people from all over the world. Always has been. Canadians working there is not a slight on Canadian culture, otherwise the same could be said of even Britain, starting with Charlie Chaplin actor wise.
Stop whining and begging for attention Nat Your native culture should be stronger and you should feel less Canadian than an Indonesian feels Indonesian.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Stop whining and begging for attention Nat Your native culture should be stronger and you should feel less Canadian than an Indonesian feels Indonesian.
Trying to get on board! LOL

Old 05-15-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
We have our own industry. It's just small and competing against two giants. Britain and the USA. Australia does ok, but not like in the 1980's.

It's easier for Quebec, since they really aren't competing with anyone except France. Successful Quebecois films are considered secondary films compared to the mainstream ones. It seems to make French Canadians happy mostly, so that's a positive I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada