Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 08:48 PM

237 posts, read 870,683 times

Advertisements

How can 2.5 million people in Atlantic Canada be representative of the 35 million people in Canada ? There is no Canadian accent for a couple reasons, 1 every region has a different accent (Quebec, Ontario, the West), 2 compared to accents like Australia's Canada's is so neutral in many parts of the world English is being spoken more and more with that style. It's the reason Canadians blend in so easily.

If someone likes strong accents then they won't like the Canadian one, for that reason the original poster shouldn't call it the Canadian accent that they don't like, instead they should say that they like strong accents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
Hey! I live in a southern coastal state! Though, I agree with you . I'm sorry, I grew up in the mid-Atlantic states and I'm not a fan of Southern accents. Especially when they are so think that a person with a very slight twang (like me) cannot understand a single word they are saying! Or, the female voices which have a high-pitched southern accent and it almost sounds like a hen trying to speak. Granted, the accents here are not as thick as some of the deep South accents, but the thicker it is the more annoying it becomes. However, I have met a guy in England who thinks the Southern accent is very sexy. So, I think it's just personal preferences and no offense is meant.

Another accent I have to add to the list is Geordie. It's the sort of accent you would hear in Newcastle, England. I met a girl there who was a sweetheart, but she had the high-pitched Geordie accent that was pretty rough on the ears. I also had a bit of difficulty deciphering some of the words. I still remember "Whey aye!" though.

The Canadian accent is not that bad IMO. I have a couple of friends from Ontario who sound as though they are talking through their nose. They live in completely different parts of Ontario as well (Toronto and Kingston). Many of the people I met in Vancouver had a more "Americanized" accent due to the film business. The ones that lived near Kelownas had more of an accent, but it's hard to describe it.
Haha, I think you're speaking of that costal accent from the Carolina's. It has a very unattractively hard provincial ring to it. Mid Atlantic to me sounds like a toned down New York accent of some sort.

British Columbians, the few that I've known seem to be indistinguishable from other west coast accents.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:34 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
I prefer the thickness and melodic pitch changes of Carolinian accents, the coastal area accents are no exception.
I also prefer Caribbean english for similar reasons.
I wish standard Canadian English had more character.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
How can 2.5 million people in Atlantic Canada be representative of the 35 million people in Canada ? There is no Canadian accent for a couple reasons, 1 every region has a different accent (Quebec, Ontario, the West), 2 compared to accents like Australia's Canada's is so neutral in many parts of the world English is being spoken more and more with that style. It's the reason Canadians blend in so easily.

If someone likes strong accents then they won't like the Canadian one, for that reason the original poster shouldn't call it the Canadian accent that they don't like, instead they should say that they like strong accents.
I somehow missed this post. I would challenge the notion that the English that many are not speaking is only Canadian. I would say it's Canadian and Californian. Someone else already mentioned the influence Hollywood has had. IMO, both are acceptable

Old 12-19-2010, 12:04 AM

72,958 posts, read 62,547,130 times
I see nothing wrong with the Canadian accent. Never have.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I see nothing wrong with the Canadian accent. Never have.
Hey, nice to see you in the Canada forum

Old 12-20-2010, 03:18 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,406,945 times
I can't even hear the Canadian accent. It just sounds "normal" for me, except the "o" sound (box = bauwx), but that's not specific to Canada. Supposedly, you guys say "aboot," but that's totally false.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:52 PM

72,958 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Hey, nice to see you in the Canada forum
I like stopping by this forum.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:59 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,852,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I can't even hear the Canadian accent. It just sounds "normal" for me, except the "o" sound (box = bauwx), but that's not specific to Canada. Supposedly, you guys say "aboot," but that's totally false.
We still say it differently than you guys though. We don't stress the "ou" sound as much. It's more rounded and subtle. American/Aus/UK = "Abowt", Canadian = "Aboat + Abuuwt" mix. We're the only native English speakers that have this pronunciation now that I think of it. Really makes me wonder how it even arisen. Time to consult a historian.

I think the "Bawx" ordeal is simply a Midwestern thing. You guys really like to raise your A's. Haackey, paaas, faaast, etc.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,247 times
I can't understand why people would start a thread bashing another countries accents. Makes no sense to me. There's some American accents I'm not particularly fond of but I wouldn't go into their State forum and say I didn't like their accent. It's just a azzhat thing to do, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada