Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I've found that "eh?" never ends a question--rather, it ends a statement and creates a question in the process.

Thus, "Could I have another beer, eh?" would never be spoken by a Canadian. But "I need another beer, eh?" would be fine. More examples:

Wrong: You think it'll stop snowing, eh?
Correct: Do you think it will stop snowing?
Canadian: Snowing pretty bad, eh?
Answer to the Canadian: Yeah, but I hear it'll let up by Tuesday.

Wrong: Are the Maple Leafs always this bad, eh?
Correct: Are the Maple Leafs always this bad?
Canadian: Leafs suck, eh?
Answer to the Canadian: Yeah, they sure do.

Wrong: Where's the washroom, eh?
Correct: Where is the washroom?
Canadian:I need the can, eh?
Answer to the Canadian: Go to the back; it's on your left.

See the difference between the questions and the statements turned into questions by the use of "eh?"

LOL! "I'm gettin' whiplash from my burps, eh." "Beauty."

Americans would just replace "eh?" with "huh?"

That's about it. I've never heard anyone say "aboot" either. Unless we were making fun of Newfies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 10:54 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchy View Post
Well I do say "eh" sometimes and never say "aboot". Maybe in the maritime provinces like Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island most people in that region have distinct accents. It almost either scottish or irish sounding actually. Where I'm at its either english or french.
My English is not that good to pick out different accents in the US and Canada but from what I understand reading what others where saying people in Canada who say about come across has aboot has there is fast hard drop on ou and more draw out t. Where people in US saying about sound like to people in Canada like abart with drawn out ar .The major emphasis on the word about come across has abaaaarrrt to people in Canada.Where in Canada there is little emphasis on ou sound it drops fast and hear aboot.

Same thing with house people in Canada draw out the word house where people US the word house drops really fast it the opposite of what they are doing with about..

What I read is the sounds OU is different in Canada .

If you check out the TV show trailer park boys when they say about it kinda almost does sound like aboot.

TPB - Chinese Dinosaurs (Deleted Scene) - YouTube

To people in Canada they don't hear the aboot sound but to some in US they do.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
^^^ I did hear it right at the start when he said "I just got aout".

Regional though. Not a nation wide thing.

"Eh" is the great equalizer. We all say it at some point.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:40 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Canadians says 'melk', Americans say 'milk'
Canadians say 'happen', Americans say 'happin'
Canadians say 'soary', Americans say 'sawry'
Canadians say 'eh', Americans say 'huh'
Canadians say 'hoose', Americans say 'howse'
Canadians say 'aboat', Americans say 'abowt'
Canadians say 'ya know', Americans say 'you know'
Canadians say 'firehall', Americans say 'fire station'

Old 12-31-2012, 04:06 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Not all of them, depends where you live.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 PM

637 posts, read 1,026,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Not sure about some of those

soary /sawry I would say is true but only for older Canadians.
I've noticed most under 30 say sawry.

aboat/abowt also is true, I hear it, however english Canadians from
Montreal area say abowt.

happen/happin, not sure, never noticed

"ya know" sounds more like movie "Fargo", Minnesota/North Dakota area to me.

Fire Station is used in Canada, I think Fire Hall might be a British thing?

To me key difference is how the letter a is pronounced.

In the US the letter a in alot of words is pronouced "aw" as in awesome,
in Canada the letter a in the many words is prounced like the words sack or black
Good examples are words like Mazda, Taco, plaza.
Most Canadians pronouce the a's differently.

Also US tend to change the letter o to sometimes sound like the letter a
Like first o in words borrow or sorrow.
Also second o in word tomorrow.

Bottom line is Canadians seem to be sounding more and more like Americans,
still noticeable different with less or no "drawl".

I have noticed too "Canadian raising", always sounds weird to my ears,
like they're constantly asking a question, particularly teenage girls,
they speak almost like SoCal "valley girls", sounds annoying.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:04 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
American accents are so different from each other its tough to compare them to Canadian ones. Does someone from Boston sound alot different from Canadian?? yes very different. Southern US accents are not even in the same ball park as Canadian. However if you visit the upper midwest you will find it tough to tell the Canadian from Americans if you are not familiar with that part of the world. MN, Wi and Mi are often so close accent wiseto Canadian that they are confused as Canadian accents. Of course not all Canadian accents are the same either, but most people think of the Ontario accent when they think Canadian accents. In Quebec that accent is quite different. We really are talking about comparing alot of apples and oranges here.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:35 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
American accents are so different from each other its tough to compare them to Canadian ones. Does someone from Boston sound alot different from Canadian?? yes very different. Southern US accents are not even in the same ball park as Canadian. However if you visit the upper midwest you will find it tough to tell the Canadian from Americans if you are not familiar with that part of the world. MN, Wi and Mi are often so close accent wiseto Canadian that they are confused as Canadian accents. Of course not all Canadian accents are the same either, but most people think of the Ontario accent when they think Canadian accents. In Quebec that accent is quite different. We really are talking about comparing alot of apples and oranges here.
I think southern part of Ontario may sound more like the US where other parts of Canada have more of Canadian accent with the exceptions of Vancouver that sounds more of the west coat of the US.

Some place in Canada have more draw and other places not .

I don't know if you can hear it but this girl really has draw and over pronunciation of words the pronunciation of words self may not sound American but the draw and and over pronunciation of words do.Don't really know what state she come close to but north east part of the US talk much faster and do not have draw or over pronunciation of words.

The Accent TAG! (Toronto-Canada) - YouTube

Has for other videos they have strong accent and give away they are from Canada.

Has for most southern accents in the US most of draw and over pronunciation of words is more subtle thing now in most cities and suburbs these days with so many people moving there and media and Hollywood Well the draw and over pronunciation of words is very strong for some one in north eat part US to hear them but very subtle to some one from west coast.

But when I read messages on internet non native speakers they tell me how strong the draw and over pronunciation is the US ,UK and Canada to their ears but to natives they don't hear it.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:16 AM

Default What does the accent of Anglo-Montrealers sound like?

The ones I've heard sounded very American to me, like I couldn't tell any Canadian features in their speech at all! You'd think it would be more influenced by French wouldn't you?

Is it perhaps because they're geographically isolated from other Anglo-Canadians so they pick up their cues on speaking English from American television?

Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burloak View Post
Not sure about some of those

Bottom line is Canadians seem to be sounding more and more like Americans,
still noticeable different with less or no "drawl".

I have noticed too "Canadian raising", always sounds weird to my ears,
like they're constantly asking a question, particularly teenage girls,
they speak almost like SoCal "valley girls", sounds annoying.

I think the thing that makes Americans sound American is the drawly speech. Canadians have a 'clipped' quality to their speech that makes them sound different from Americans regardless of how they pronounce 'sorry'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada