Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:58 AM

2,528 posts, read 3,087,125 times

Advertisements

I recently re-watched "Mon Oncle Antoine." What a beautiful film! But it got me wondering...

The movie takes place in the 1940s, although not specific about exactly when in the '40s. There was no mention by any of the characters of the overseas war going on. Might that be because the human meat-grinder that was the asbestos mines at at the time needed all the men it could get? Do enlighten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 12:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,496,948 times
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=qu%C3%A9b%C3%A9cois+in+world+war+2

Old 01-31-2014, 12:06 PM

26,820 posts, read 37,911,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
THAT.

Made me laugh.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:39 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,859,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I recently re-watched "Mon Oncle Antoine." What a beautiful film! But it got me wondering...

The movie takes place in the 1940s, although not specific about exactly when in the '40s. There was no mention by any of the characters of the overseas war going on. Might that be because the human meat-grinder that was the asbestos mines at at the time needed all the men it could get? Do enlighten.
Yes, and the most famous French-Canadian regiment was the 22e Royale known as the "Van Doos" because of the pronunciation of 22 in French.

That being said, French Canadians were far less likely to serve in the military than English Canadians for a number of reasons:

1)They saw themselves as being strictly Canadien while many English Canadians, like Australians, saw themselves as belonging to the larger British Empire. Furthermore, many French Canadians saw the war as the problem of Britain and France, and didn't see how a war in Europe was Canada's responsibility.

2)They were well aware that they had been conquered in the past by the British Empire. As a result, they did not feel loyalty to the British Empire the way the English Canadians, who were largely descended from the British, did. They suffered widespread discrimination from the English Canadian population and the English-dominated government, and understandably weren't as willing to serve this government.

3)At the start of WWI, the Canadian government endeavored to create an all English-speaking army to serve in Europe; it was only because of the insistence of French Canadians that a handful of French Canadian regiments were created. Nonetheless, the French Canadian regiments had to learn basic English in order to serve. Those who fought in WWII were under the same constraints, and this changed only after the Quiet Revolution.

Lastly, Canada did not offer the same participation to the British Empire in WWII to the extent that she did in WWI. Regardless, there were still some French Canadians who distinguished themselves:

Old 01-31-2014, 02:21 PM

Thank you for actually answering my question, hobbesdj.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Thank you for actually answering my question, hobbesdj.
When your post first showed up the only Question was " Did Quebecois men serve in WW II ? "

You must of updated and added the other stuff later??

Old 01-31-2014, 02:44 PM

I did, indeed. My laptop was lopsided and somehow two head-smacking-emoticons showed up...not what I wanted at all! I blame the dog, who's sharing my lap.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:23 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,508,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Regardless, there were still some French Canadians who distinguished themselves:
A local Second World War and Korean War hero from the West Island, where I grew up, is a French Canadian guy who was named Léo Major. He definitely served with distinction, among other ridiculous war time feats he liberated the city of Zwolle for the Allies by himself, and once captured a patrol of 93 Germans, marching them all back as prisoners by himself like some kind of action star. Kind of too much to even be believed.

Léo Major - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-31-2014, 09:37 PM

26,820 posts, read 37,911,275 times
As has been said there were French Canadians who fought in WW2 but it was a very difficult and tense period because of the pressure (both social and legal) to go and fight in Europe when at the same time francophones did not have a strong allegiance either for Britain (obvious reasons) or France (feeling of abandonment going back to the 1760s) and so weren't too keen on going to help them out.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:03 PM

My maternal grandfather was Quebecois and fought in World War 2. We still have his medals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada