Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 01:22 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times

Advertisements

As in the northernmost point in the St Lawrence Lowands where you're likely to see more hardwoods than conifers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 06:43 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Probably Wood Buffalo National Park. Huge stands of aspen and birch. You go much further north, there's no trees at all.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Probably Wood Buffalo National Park. Huge stands of aspen and birch. You go much further north, there's no trees at all.
Those mixedwood forests extend pretty well through to the north side of Great Slave Lake in some places, and they actually extend all the way up along the Mackenzie right into the delta, though only in the river valley, of course.

This is a tougher question to answer than it seems, as we haven't defined what dominate means in terms of area. The boreal forest can be a lot of different things, in a lot of different places, all in close proximity to each other. High, sandy or rocky areas are mostly jack pine. Muskeg is dominated by tamarack and black spruce. Mixedwood is often dominated by white poplar and is found in low, but well drained areas.

If we're talking about a specific site, then there are places in the Mackenzie Delta that are dominated by poplar. If we're talking about a major ecosystem as a whole, the northern end of the parkland.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 AM

Here's a worthwhile map to look at:

http://www.enr.gov.nt.ca/_live/docum...ster_Large.pdf

Old 02-07-2014, 10:07 AM

Something else I just thought of:

Though it's a bit of techicality, tamarack are considered deciduous as they shed their needles annually. Using that definition, deciduous forests extend right to the treeline, as the last scrub forests are usually tamarack and black spruce.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:18 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
I'm thinking more about temperate deciduous forests.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I'm thinking more about temperate deciduous forests.
I know. The last post was meant in jest.

The previous two posts, however, were not. The land cover map from the NWT is especially useful.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:50 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
If you're talking about Ontario I notice a change around the town of Coldwater, going up towards Sudbury. A bit past there and you're in the boreal forest. Parry Sound probably looks more like Moosonee than like St. Catharine's.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:24 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
If you're talking about Ontario I notice a change around the town of Coldwater, going up towards Sudbury. A bit past there and you're in the boreal forest. Parry Sound probably looks more like Moosonee than like St. Catharine's.
Good point. As soon as I cross into the Canadian shield I notice the change, like in Muskoka.
Southern Ontario's Carolinian forest zone is where broadleaf deciduous trees really predominate,
that zone is from SW Ontario Windsor-Sarnia, east to just past Toronto.
Eastern Ontario including Kingston and Ottawa is in a different forest zone, same zone as Montreal area,
Laurentian mixed deciduous-evergreen. More deciduous than evergreen but not like the almost
pure deciduous forest of the Carolinian zone.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:36 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Good point. As soon as I cross into the Canadian shield I notice the change, like in Muskoka.
Southern Ontario's Carolinian forest zone is where broadleaf deciduous trees really predominate,
that zone is from SW Ontario Windsor-Sarnia, east to just past Toronto.
Eastern Ontario including Kingston and Ottawa is in a different forest zone, same zone as Montreal area,
Laurentian mixed deciduous-evergreen. More deciduous than evergreen but not like the almost
pure deciduous forest of the Carolinian zone.
Yippers.

One thing that is interesting is that the Canadian Shield dips southward a few hundred km east of Toronto on the 401 in the Thousand Islands area. There is a distinct scenery and vegetation change for a short distance and it really looks like the rocky forest and lake country of Muskoka and mid-northern Ontario. And then you get into that zone you describe which is Laurentian and mixed. And this zone persists for a fairly long distance in eastern Ontario and covers most of the populated part of southern Quebec too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada