Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:12 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times

Advertisements

Is it illegal to have more than two citizenships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 11:17 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Is it illegal to have more than two citizenships?
It's completely legal. You can have as many as you want if all the nations allow it, but that doesn't mean society won't look at you askance.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:23 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Let me also tell you something. I would love to keep the citizenship of my home country as well as that of Canada because my home country's passport allows me to travel home without applying for visas. Yet I choose not to, because dual citizenship is frowned upon in this country. When I'm not allowed by society to keep two passports because my home country is a developing nation, why do you want an American to be allowed to keep two passports? Do we have separate rules for Americans and people from developing nations?

Do I make myself clear? If this American can be encouraged to keep his/her American passport, then I should be allowed to keep the passport of MY home country. Is that a concept so difficult to understand for you, movingwiththewind? That is what I meant by my last sentence in the previous post, which you apparently have great difficult grasping.
Honestly, I don't understand what you're talking about.

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO KEEP YOUR DUAL CIITZENSHIP IN CANADA? Since then does Canada not allow dual citizenship? Maybe it's not Canada but your country of origin does not allow it? Am I missing something?

And what do you mean by saying "I'm not allowed by society to keep two passports because my home country is a developing nation..."? Are you actually saying that Canada has different laws in this regard and that Canad allows dual citizenship for "first world" nations but does not allow it for nationals of "developing" countries?

You know, this conversation is very confusing and doesn't make any sense to me. The way I see it, you make things out with this "society does not allow" thing. Nobody forcing you to give up your dual citizenship. It's YOUR choice. You prefer to give it up for whatever reason. Other people choose to keep it and it's not for you to decide for them.

As long as dual or triple and so on citizenship is legal, there is nothing wrong with it, any way you look at it.

As for "society" approvals and disapprovals, let me add another thing. As far as I understand, last years, more and more Canadians disapprove the number of immigrants coming to the country every year. So what? Should you feel guilty as an immigrant, pack your bags and leave Canada and return to where you come from? If you feel that way, do just that. Why are you staying there?

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 02-07-2014 at 11:33 AM..

Old 02-07-2014, 11:34 AM

Dear OP,

Sorry for inadvertently hijacking your thread.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:41 AM

194 posts, read 423,165 times
What is wrong with dual citizenship ? As an immigrant you can be discriminated for your color, accent, work experience, lack of networking. You really think that the dual citizenship is what hurts you ?
To renounce a citizenship if not required is a personal decision but it shouldn't be based on a couple of newspaper articles or forum posts.
There are all sorts of countries that don't allow multiple citizenships, they are not all poor (Germany is one that comes to mind). Fortunately Canada is not one of them and I don't imagine it will ever be.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:48 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post

You know, this conversation is very confusing and doesn't make any sense to me. The way I see it, you make things out with this "society does not allow" thing. Nobody forcing you to give up your dual citizenship.
That means you're not up to date with what most Canadians want today. I can't fix that. I didn't say I agreed with the sentiment; I merely pointed it out. Don't attack the messenger. If OP wants to keep his/her American citizenship and be looked down upon by most of society for being a hyphenated citizen, that is their choice.

As I already mentioned, it's completely legal to have dual citizenship. This has nothing to do with legality but with public sentiment. 10-15 years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if the public vote in a government that does make dual citizenship illegal.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2780 View Post
What is wrong with dual citizenship ? As an immigrant you can be discriminated for your color, accent, work experience, lack of networking. You really think that the dual citizenship is what hurts you ?
To renounce a citizenship if not required is a personal decision but it shouldn't be based on a couple of newspaper articles or forum posts.
There are all sorts of countries that don't allow multiple citizenships, they are not all poor (Germany is one that comes to mind). Fortunately Canada is not one of them and I don't imagine it will ever be.
Even Germany allows dual citizenship now.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:06 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times
Quote:
That means you're not up to date with what most Canadians want today. I can't fix that. I didn't say I agreed with the sentiment; I merely pointed it out. Don't attack the messenger. If OP wants to keep his/her American citizenship and be looked down upon by most of society for being a hyphenated citizen, that is their choice.
How about you provide some kind of evidence of the bolded part? I have never heard of such a thing.

In the meantime, my personal conjecture is that the only people who have a problem with dual citizenship have a problem with immigration, period. And then, well, I don't really care what stupid people think.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I don't agree with you in general and with this first (highlighted) sentence in particular.

I don't want to continue with this conversation. It doesn't make sense.

Let's return to the topic of this thread.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:10 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
I think Canada shouldn't allow dual citizenship although it is not something up to me.

I also agree with movingwiththewind that there is no point for OP to give up her US citizenhip, which comes with many advantages (and hardly any disadvantages). What if in 5 years down the road, she doesn't like life in Canada and wants to move back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada