Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2007, 04:34 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Scientists have found a new threat to the planet: Canadian beer drinkers.

The government-commissioned study says the old, inefficient "beer fridges" that one in three Canadian households use to store their Molson and Labatt's contribute significantly to global warming by guzzling gas- and coal-fired electricity.

"People need to understand the impact of their lifestyles," British environmental consultant Joanna Yarrow tells New Scientist magazine. "Clearly the environmental implications of having a frivolous luxury like a beer fridge are not hitting home. This research helps inform people — let's hope it has an effect."

FOXNews.com - Study: Canadian Beer Drinkers Threaten Planet - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 05:58 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Scientists have found a new threat to the planet: Canadian beer drinkers.

The government-commissioned study says the old, inefficient "beer fridges" that one in three Canadian households use to store their Molson and Labatt's contribute significantly to global warming by guzzling gas- and coal-fired electricity.

"People need to understand the impact of their lifestyles," British environmental consultant Joanna Yarrow tells New Scientist magazine. "Clearly the environmental implications of having a frivolous luxury like a beer fridge are not hitting home. This research helps inform people — let's hope it has an effect."
FOXNews.com - Study: Canadian Beer Drinkers Threaten Planet - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News
Interesting... Beer fridges are more common in Canada?

About having an effect:

Actually, from what I've seen on projected models, global warming would be a general benefit for Ontario. (except for people who like outdoor winter sports)

Our whole province has a overall cold and damp climate, getting much colder the further north you go, obviously.

They said that with global warming, agriculture in northern Ontario should become easier.

In southern Ontario, global warming is expected to lengthen our growing season, allowing more varieties of crops to be grown.

John1960, you already live in a place with what many people consider a great climate. (Tennessee)
So changes to your climate are likely not wanted by most residents.

The overwhelming majority of Ontario residents think our climate sucks.
Most think it's too cold with winter lasting too long, summer being too short.
Quite a few also feel our climate is too damp and cloudy. (for personal comfort)

If humans can cause the earth to warm and Canadians like myself has to live in Canada, especially in Ontario, it might actually make sense for some to try to make the earth warm.

Sure it might make places out west like the southwest and plains a living hell, spoil the southeast U.S.'s verdant beauty, damage the world's coral reefs and devestate most of the world's coastlines...but if you're living in Ontario where it's a minimum of 175 feet above sea level, most places 300-800 feet above sealevel with 1000 years supply of freshwater already here in the form of lakes, bogs, ponds, rivers, creeks etc., what do you have to worry about? Should we be afraid of the havoc and hard times most other people will have?

I doubt if the situations were reversed that people from Tennessee would worry about Ontario running out of water. Am I wrong on my last question? If I am please tell me so.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:10 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
I apologise if the last post might have seemed a bit rude.

More than half of Ontario residents and Canadian residents are concerned about global warming, and many believe humans are the main source, ergo we should do as much as we reasonably can to stop it or lessen it, including mandatory limits on pollution.

I have a strong sense of individuality (in case you hadn't noticed) and my feelings on Global Warming are quite a bit different than the majority.
So you don't need to worry about my way of thinking impacting or being mirrored by millions of other Canadians.

1) I believe the earth is on average, probably warming up, even though that means some places are staying cold.

2) I think it's nasty that that means some places will experience severe droughts, natural disasters and coral reefs getting "bleaching".
(I love to snorkel and scuba dive on vacation)

3) I believe that we are probably contributing to some of the climate change, but to a much smaller degree than many scientists are giving us credit for.

Part of my reasons for this belief are my religious beliefs, part due to articles from other scientists who believe that their is more CO2 in the air because 3/4 of the earth's surface is water and the oceans are warming (partial pressure theory) and not the other way around.

4) I believe that most of our efforts to prevent dramatic changes in weather would be futile, therefore any federal governments devoting more than 25% of their total tax revenue soley on Climate Change Prevention is a waste. (from all the advertising I'm seeing on Climate Change, there is a possibility that this is already being done)

5) On the other hand, I am all for attempting to cut down on pollution in problem areas, as in cities with many "bad-air" days, cleaning up our watersheds, recycling as much as reasonably possible, protecting "green spaces," reducing urban gridlock, reducing wasteful use of energy for other reasons like possible pollution or for reducing costs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada